Good high calorie foods?

Options
H there! My son is almost 17, 6' 3" and 150 pounds. He eats a lot, but he can't seem to stop the pesky growing up instead of out. :smile: I would love to hear suggestions of foods to help him put on some weight. I would prefer high fat, high protein foods.

Replies

• rhapsodygirl
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are good for you and contain fat, the good fat. High in calories too. I make my own nut butters and trail mix. My trail mix consists of raw almonds, raw cashews, raw sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut, and raisins. Sometimes I'll throw in a few carob chips.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most teenage boys seem to eat everything & never gain.
    Avocados, peanut butter(natural), nuts, red meat & cheese are all good sources of high fat & protein :)
  • khannickwechanged
    khannickwechanged Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER (my favorite :love: )
    Nuts
    Dried fruit
    Avocado
    Cheese
    Milk
    Red meat
    Protein bars and shakes
    Coconut milk
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    start with peanut butter.
    if he's trying to put on weight, PLEASE make sure he's lifting you want muscle growth, not fatty deposits.

EDIT: Also, portion size. When you cook, make an extra portion up for him.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    H there! My son is almost 17, 6' 3" and 150 pounds. He eats a lot, but he can't seem to stop the pesky growing up instead of out. :smile: I would love to hear suggestions of foods to help him put on some weight. I would prefer high fat, high protein foods.

Ice cream

Full fat dairy

nut butters/nuts

pasta

Also bigger portions
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with whole milk instead of water and a good sized dollup of peanut butter.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Likely to be repeats:

Cook with oil
    Eggs
    Avocado
    Nuts/Seeds
    Nut/Seed butters
    Full fat dairy
    Fattier cuts of meat
    Fattier fish like salmon
    Extra servings of things. (This is very easy for things like peanut butter, imho, because the 2T serving never feels like as much as I want anyway! ;))
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My cousin;s had the same problem 3 teenage boys all a year apart in school and all great athletes. They were being scouted by colleges for sports and all were told they needed to put on more weight. These boys are 6'6"-6'7". The middle cousin would go to burger king for lunch and order 3 Whoppers when he was trying to gain weight for football.

As mentioned below, to go a more nutrient dense route, full fat dairy, red meat and pork, nuts, etc...
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not pushing his "growing out." He is a teenager and he will have plenty of time to become wider/ heavier/fat or whatever you want to call it, later in life.

Is he healthy and active with a good appetite? Have you taken him to a doctor to evaluate his weight, if you are so concern? Have you suggested strength training exercise to help develop muscle definition, since he obviously has very little body fat? Maybe it is just his body composition, so no need to get worried or make you son uncomfortable with his thin frame
  • fppalmer
    fppalmer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried higher frequency instead of higher calories?

Eating "too much" at one sitting will be converted to fat. Even if he's lifting / working out, you can only "use" so much protien (varies greatly by individual, but, say 30 grams ish) per feeding.

Eating every 3 hours can often put on more lean mass than eating 3 massive meals a day.

Just a thought.

Good Luck!
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bananas and ensure is cheap, healthy and yummy.
  • anonymouschris
    Options
    I use coconut oil quite often for extra calories. I also will eat a big scoop of almond butter for a snack as well.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried higher frequency instead of higher calories?

Eating "too much" at one sitting will be converted to fat. Even if he's lifting / working out, you can only "use" so much protien (varies greatly by individual, but, say 30 grams ish) per feeding.

Eating every 3 hours can often put on more lean mass than eating 3 massive meals a day.

Just a thought.

Good Luck!

^Good observation here^
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Agree with below. Kids esp teenage boys typically grow tall fast and look "too skinny" but in reality are normal for their age. Check with his doctor, and normal kids will have normal high appetites during growth spurts. He will put his weight on eventually. Just make sure what he is eating is healthy--his doctor will tell you if he is underweight.
    I would suggest not pushing his "growing out." He is a teenager and he will have plenty of time to become wider/ heavier/fat or whatever you want to call it, later in life.

Is he healthy and active with a good appetite? Have you taken him to a doctor to evaluate his weight, if you are so concern? Have you suggested strength training exercise to help develop muscle definition, since he obviously has very little body fat? Maybe it is just his body composition, so no need to get worried or make you son uncomfortable with his thin frame