The Chronicles of a Recovering Fat-***

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Andy. I am a 6'4" male, and as of 8.8.13 i weigh 319.8 pounds. I have deal with weight issues ever since i graduated high school. As a varsity basketball player, i graduated at a weight of ~225 pounds. Assuming i lacked the talent to be a college basketball player, i abandoned my fitness regimen and skipped right past the freshman 15 to the freshman 30, weighing 255 pounds at the end of frosh year. Over the next few years my weight ballooned up to 295, only for me to finally get a hold of myself, and start working out with an eye towards playing basketball for my community college. In 6 months i was back down to 250 lbs with a lot more muscle than in my high school days, and accomplished my goal of making the team, although i played sparingly. Soon, work and bills conspired to have me drop my hoop dreams, and then the weight came piling back on, uninterrupted aside from a few weeks of half-hearted diet and exercise. 5 Years after getting down to a pretty healthy 250, i weighed in at the beginning of this June at 350 lbs. Actually, i assume it was 350, because my scale only goes up to 340, and it flashed me a giant "OVER LIMIT" notice when i stepped on it.

Using that as a wake up call, i have been 100% focused on making a lifestyle change and getting myself back into shape. In the 2 months since, i've dropped 30.2 lbs and will be running a half marathon in October. It is an incredibly ambitious plan, but i already feel better than i have in years, and finally feel like im accomplishing something and have a goal worth working towards. I would say "hopefully" i could keep it up, but i know in my heart that i'm finally doing things the right way, and WILL. NOT. BE. STOPPED!!! Sorry for the long-winded intro, but i'm just too damn happy to be finally getting my life back.

Edited to Add: That's me with the ball in my hand in my ticker picture. Using at as a reminder of what i once was and once again will be.

Replies

• grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Welcome to the land of the MFP:bigsmile:
  • jurgie18
    jurgie18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel your pain, i am a former college athlete that feel off the wagon. You can add me if you would like. Good luck!
  • SymphonyTea
    Options
    Friend request on the way. Let's ROCK off the rolls. I too have an extreme focus & in-spite of Life's obstacles will continue to stomp up the proverbial hill. :happy:

Peace, Joy & (in a dream world, calorie-free) Cupcakes ~T.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Andy! We are sometimes an opinionated bunch here but most of the time we are very supportive and will be happy to help if needed.
  • amohoop34
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words! Just adds another level of motivation! Looks like my opinionated self will fit right in.