Yummy Taquitos

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Found this recipe online and tried it...it's so good!

"I've always loved taquitos but it's not the healthiest dish which has kept me away from them for some time now. I created this recipe for healthy taquitos because it's fast, easy and has the crunch of real deep-fried taquitos. I use a store-bought rotiseree chicken and shred the breast meat which makes the recipe go even faster.

Difficulty: Easy

Things You'll Need:

* Two cooked chicken breasts shredded (I use a market-bought rotiseree chicken)
* Shredded "mexican" cheese
* 1/2 cup chicken stocks
* 1 dozen corn tortillas
* cooking spray

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Heat chicken broth in a small skillet until simmering.

Working quickly, dip a corn tortilla in the simmering broth so each sides get wet. Add a small amount of chicken and cheese to the bottom 1/2 of the tortilla. Roll and place, taquito seam-side down on the cookie sheet. Repeat until you make all 12 taquitos.

When all taquitos are on cookie sheet, spray the tops of all the taquitos with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispness.

Tortilla should be in the broth for no more than a couple of seconds when you're dipping it."

I'm not sure why the recipe says to dip it in chicken storck before you roll it. I did the first one and it got crumbly. I did therest without dipping it in the stock, and it was just as good as the one that i did dip in the stock. I had made chicken breasts yesterday, so I just pulled apart the chicken then mixed it in a bowl with salsa, reduced fat shredded cheese, onions, chopped jalapeno and bell peppers. I rolled it into the corn tortillas, laid them seam down on the sheet, sprayed them with cooking spray, and put it in the oven for about 10 mins.

I dipped them in fat free sour cream, salsa, and a bit of avocado.

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I made something like this a few weeks ago, but i put black beans and a little bit of chicken in them because i dont really like cheese. when i took them out of the oven, they are crunchy, but most of them were falling apart and it made me kind of sad. haha. they still ended up being super delicious though.
  • toots99
    Options
    I made something like this a few weeks ago, but i put black beans and a little bit of chicken in them because i dont really like cheese. when i took them out of the oven, they are crunchy, but most of them were falling apart and it made me kind of sad. haha. they still ended up being super delicious though.

You're lucky, I wish I didn't like cheese!
  • TonyaR
    TonyaR Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to make this, sounds delish!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options

You're lucky, I wish I didn't like cheese!

haha people always think im weird for not liking cheese. I can handle a little bit, but a lot of it makes me gag.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Dipping the tortillas might be in an effort to warm/soften to aid rolling. I am just guessing, I had a friend recommend putting corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds so that they wouldn't crumble so much.
  • toots99
    Options
    Dipping the tortillas might be in an effort to warm/soften to aid rolling. I am just guessing, I had a friend recommend putting corn tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds so that they wouldn't crumble so much.

I didn't find them to be crumbly at all, aside from the one that I dipped in the chicken stock. :smile: