Feeling discouraged...

Options
I haven't been eating well, and I haven't been working out a lot. I am stuck. I feel disgusting after the way I've eaten in the last few days. I was going to jog today, but I didn't.

It just feels like a never-ending thing. I feel that I will never be able to lose weight, no matter how I try =/

I know, I am whining, but it's stressful. I have been trying so hard but it's become difficult. Stress and depression are getting in the way, what do I DOOOO?

Just needed to vent.

Replies

• EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything particularly wise or meaningful to say, but by the looks of your ticker you have been doing a phenomenal job so far so you know what works...perhaps you just need to give yourself permission to wallow for a while and give yourself a break?

:flowerforyou:
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, karmahunger,
    Pick one habit at a time you would like to change. If you try to do too much at once, you might just feel overwhelmed. If it's exercise, make a plan: write down what exercise you will do each day, where, when, etc. If it's nutrition, make a plan (sound familiar? : ) ): write down what you will eat for each meal and stick to it!
    You will do just fine . . . just remember to break things down to little chunks!
    Good luck!
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you are suffering from depression, you should also be aware that exercise helps with this as it releases horemones / faramones or some kinda 'ones which help.

You are not going to want to exercise until you get into the habbit of doing so, once you get into it, its easy to keep it up. Maybe just look to swimming one or two days a week, move on from there....

I work next to a lake so im lucky and can go jogging around there at lunch, but if I have not done it for a few days its difficult to find the get up and go to get on with it. Once I do, I never regret it

Small steps lead to big jumps...
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Karma,

Losing weight and adopting a healthier lifestyle is an uphill battle. Each step takes just as much effort as the one before. It is ok to stop while you take a breath and get your footing. We all have those moments. And honestly, if losing weight and being healthy was so easy, places like MFP wouldn't exist. Don't get discouraged...just look how far you've come? Get back into the swing of things and keep climbing until you reach that finish line.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ever seen "the Devil Wears Prada?" Aside from the movie, to a degree, condoning eating disorders (some people really view the movie that way) I have found strenghth a few times watching the scene between Andy and Nigel :

Andy Sachs: She hates me, Nigel.
    Nigel: And that's my problem because... Oh, wait. No, it's not my problem.
    Andy Sachs: I don't know what else I can do because if I do something right, it's unacknowledged. She doesn't even say thank you. But if I do something wrong, she is vicious.
    Nigel: So quit.
    Andy Sachs: What?
    Nigel: Quit.
    Andy Sachs: Quit?
    Nigel: I can get another girl to take your job in five minutes... one who really wants it.
    Andy Sachs: No, I don't want to quit. That's not fair. But, I, you know, I'm just saying that I would just like a little credit... for the fact that I'm killing myself trying.
    Nigel: Andy, be serious. You are not trying. You are whining. What is it that you want me to say to you, huh? Do you want me to say, "Poor you. Miranda's picking on you. Poor you. Poor Andy"? Hmm? Wake up, six. She's just doing her job. Don't you know that you are working at the place that published some of the greatest artists of the century? Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta. And what they did, what they created was greater than art because you live your life in it. Well, not you, obviously, but some people. You think this is just a magazine, hmm? This is not just a magazine. This is a shining beacon of hope for... oh, I don't know... let's say a young boy growing up in Rhode Island with six brothers pretending to go to soccer practice when he was really going to sewing class and reading Runway under the covers at night with a flashlight. You have no idea how many legends have walked these halls. And what's worse, you don't care. Because this place, where so many people would die to work you only deign to work. And you want to know why she doesn't kiss you on the forehead and give you a gold star on your homework at the end of the day. Wake up, sweetheart.

I watch (or read) this and think...maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Maybe I'm not making this enough of a priority. I think of myself as an over-achiever like Andy. Yet even she was complacent. She faltered initially at a huge challenge. So I just need to pick myself back up, re-evaluate, and start again. And hope like heck it becomes 2nd nature after awhile!
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, karma! Reading your post was like reading something I wrote. The hardest for me is exercising and drinking water. The water thing may sound stupid, but it's a struggle for me. I'd say, if u don't feel like exercising...take a break, but try to stick to your calory intake. And go for a walk instead, you'll find it will not seem so much of a chore. Plus, it is a good opportunity to think and put your thoughts together. And if you have really close friends ask for a shoulder to cry on. And another thing that picks me up...watching american biggest loser...or tv shows like that! I say...don't give up all your hard work, surely you're stronger than that! Good luck!
  • kitfulofstarling
    Options
    Calpea, I take this good advice for myself. Thank you!!
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try to achieve your goals while having fun. For example, cooking your favorite food. Whatever you may do while having fun :):)
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @kitfulofstarl,
    Glad if it helped!
    It's so easy to pick a HUGE goal and then not know where to start . . .
    A little at a time . . . still means progress!
    Love the pup, BTW!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Calculate the TDEE-% and do not eat back the exercise calories. Then manually set mfp at that calories level. If you want to track the exercise as well, then log them in mfp as 1 calorie for any time length you worked out. Stop thinking about calories and just try to eat between your BMR and the TDEE, knowing that you can eat a whole more but you will just be in maintenance if you overeat a day or two. Instead of running, change your exercise routine. Try videos from fitnessblender.com; blogilates.com, JM 30days shred from the befit channel on youtube.com; or something else to break the routine.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Just accept that the bad days have happened and move on. Taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is still 1 step forward. And taking 1 step forward and 4 steps back is still better than only 4 steps back.