Beware 30DS

Options
Today was my first morning not doing the 30DS because I have pulled something in my ankle and my calves are killing me despite stretching and all the other post workout things you can do.

DO NOT do this workout EVERY single day like I did. LISTEN to your body.

Im really down now that I cant exercise but I intend to start walking or running to get back to full fitness.

Would a wobble board be a good thing to incorporate into my calf and ankle stretches?

QC

Replies

• clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is possible to do 30DS every day if your fitness level is there and, as you said, you listen to your body. I'm presently on week 2 of 30DS, and I make alterations in it as needed. I also injured my calf the first week (so much jumping...), so whenever it started to hurt I'd just switch to a low/no impact cardio instead like punches.

I entirely agree that if your body is saying "take a day off", DO IT! But for someone with a better baseline, they'll probably be able to do it every day without a problem.

For the record, I think the stretches at the end of the workouts are **** and do nothing to get a good stretch on the muscles you end up using the most, and it's very much NOT ENOUGH. It's like she just threw them in there because she had to...

A wobble board sounds like it'd be a good idea if you have ankle/calf stabilization issues (I know I do!). I just always make sure I'm near something to grab for balance if I have to...
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hello There,

I've done all levels of the 30 Day Shred and you are right not to do it every day. It also does depend on your fitness level, i.e. did you do this from being sedentary and also which of the ladies you follow in the DVD. The thing that worked for me was to mix it up with other exercise such as jogging, power walking or cycling. I also do martial arts. If you want to sort out your calves use stairs. When I had my injury (from martial arts) my physio advised me to stand on the stairs with my tip toes and do calf raises for a count of 20. You will need to do lots of stretching of your calves to get them back to life. There are lots of videos on You Tube that show you how to do these exercises or you could go to a physio.

I hope your ankle and calves get better soon.
    All the best
    Grace
  • demyumo
    demyumo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, can I just check, i'm currently on the 2nd week of 30DS, after 2 day weekend break. i was told that it's supposed to be done for 5 days, then 2 day break and carry on. Is that correct? I also had some trouble with my ankle and calfs and think perhaps i should have had a longer break?
  • QuestionableCarrot
    QuestionableCarrot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you Grace :)

Yes I went from being sedentary and perhaps pushed too hard ;(

I am going to do the calf stretch that you recommend and mix the 30DS up a little when I become stronger again
  • clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Demyuo, I don't know what you're SUPPOSED to do, but that's essentially the pattern I've been having. I take the days my fiance has off work as "off days", as we're usually doing family things and errands anyway. I haven't noticed that it's hurt anything to take those days off. I am ALSO doing Couch 2 5K, though, so that could make it a little different than if you're only doing 30DS
  • mrshallewell
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15582-jillian-michaels-workout-group

i too am in week 2 and im on lv 2 day 6 of. man its hard. i have a problem with my knee which started sunday before last but i think its due to something else rather than the workout. i am doing it every day (as i do nothing else with my day) and its going ok. i just take it easier at the point if it gets too painful for my knee.

doing punches is a good idea for changing it up. thanks