The dreaded plateau! Help please?

Options
Hi guys,
Although I've been signed up with MFP for a while, I've only recently seriously started using it to help me lose weight. I purchased a cross trainer and made the decision to really cut back and watch what I was eating. In the first week I lost half a stone. (great!) however, it's now been getting on for five weeks with not a single extra pound lost, and I don't really understand what I'm doing wrong. I have my calories set to 1200 a day and although admittedly I sometimes go more to the region of 1400, I never eat more than that (or less than 1200). I do half an hour on the cross trainer a day, which really brings me in a sweat, and also have recently started jogging in training for the 10k race for life next year. I'm a student at university, 19 years old, so really wanted to use the summer where I have loads of time to get a headstart on getting into shape. I just feel so disappointed that I'm trying everything and getting no results! Any help would be much appreciated

Replies

• sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is your normal intake, make sure you log your exercise and eat back those calories as well - if you're burning extra hundreds then you may be netting less than 1000 which isn't good for your body and might be slowing down your loss.
  • charlottehowson
    charlottehowson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • mama_speak
    Options
    1200 calories is on the low side if you're training, I'd suggest doing at least 1400-1500 a day. Your body needs the fuel, restricting calories while training isn't going to be good for you. Feel free to message me if you need help with meal/recipe planning
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would move your cals to 1400 a day, this will make it easier to stick to a restriction day by day. If you're still not losing after another month, and are having any cheat days, I would cut out cheat days and see what happens then. You pretty much have to keep with it for a while to see any difference either way though so keep it up!