34lbs lost eating anything i wanted

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    "a reminder of what i need to get back to"

Have you ever looked like that so as to return back to it?

:laugh:
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's great for you!!

I tried doing this (eat whatever I want at a 500+ deficit) for two months and yo-yoed between 222-225 the whole time. Once I cut my carbs I dropped down to 210 within weeks. It's great that this works for you and others on here but people's bodies are different. I wish my body was like yours but it is not.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    You can also lose weight successfully by starving yourself for a few weeks or months... that doesn't make it healthy anymore than losing weight whilst regularly eating fast food does.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in having the things you enjoy sometimes... but I'm talking, like, a pizza takeaway every couple of months, etc.

Working on a calories in, calories out 'diet' may well work - if your only goal is weight loss. For me I wanted to see some other improvements...higher energy levels, clearer skin etc. All things I wouldn't have achieved (or, at least, not to the same degree) on a calories in, calories out 'diet'.

Not knocking that the way you're doing it can work....just stating that it's not overly respectful of/kind to your body.

I eat whatever I want and my skin is clear, my hair is healthy, my labs came back 'optimal' according to my doctor (except my blood pressure, which is a touch low and unrelated to diet), and I have the energy to lift heavy 3 days a week as well as various forms of cardio and hiking once a week with my husband.

So. What part indicates that eating what I want when I want hasn't left me healthy? Or is this some non-quantifiable metric that no one will be over to actually explain or begin to give me a clue as to measuring or observing?

What works for some doesn't work for all... I come up in spots and whatnot after one day of eating a bit naff. But that's, for the most part, beside the point.

What I was getting at is that if you eat, for instance, a burger, some fries, a milkshake and some toast within your calorie allowance....vs eating 3 balanced meals with 2/3 snacks within your calorie allowance...well, I'm sure we can all agree that the latter is going to be better for your body with regards to the nutrients provided and so on.

I'm not knocking eating foods you enjoy at all.... I still eat way more cheese and chocolate than is really recommended within my week...but I manage to fit it into my calories so that's fine. But it's moderation that we should all be aiming for really. It's fine to have foods that are 'good for the soul' but we need to balance it up with foods that are good for our bodies too.

I know, for instance, that if I worked harder at sorting out my iron intake I would suffer much less from feeling tired etc.... I'm still eating pretty healthily and losing weight but that's not to say that the way I'm doing it is 100% healthy for my body. Still plenty of room for improvement here.

I've coped with doing 2 - 4 hours of cardio + strength 6 days a week whilst living off 'whatever I want' (to quote you).... fries, muffins, biscuits, doritos etc... that's not healthy for my body even if my hair looks sexy and my face is clear of spots.

Calories in, calories out can work for weight loss. Not denying that. Doesn't mean it's healthy OR that it's the best way of doing things. If weight loss is all you want and you're not worried about improving upon how you feel right now, respecting your body and what it needs in the way of nutrients + setting yourself up for a long, healthy life then calories in, calories out will work just fine :)

I see this kind of thing a bit like the 'smoking will kill you' thing... we all know people who've smoked for 60 years and lived til they were 80 or 90.... we also know people who died around 40yrs after just 15 years of smoking (for instance).... that doesn't mean the person who smoked for 60 years was 'right' to do so...it just means they lucked out.

If you want to put your lifelong statistics in your favour then the sooner we all sort our eating out the better. Good luck to everyone here :)
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    is it odd that he joined in July 2013, lost 34 lbs and deactivated all in that short time?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    is it odd that he joined in July 2013, lost 34 lbs and deactivated all in that short time?

Posted on 21/07/13 "just started my weight loss" and by 13/08/13 he's 34 pounds down....

Amputation?
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    this guy's account is deactivated..

sorry if I missed the boat....
  • rijhip
    rijhip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I've tried different diets in the past and they are not sustainable to me. If I couldn't eat pizza, burgers, fries and cookies, there would be no way I could stay on the diet. I just eat what I did before, just less of it. I've always eaten a fairly balanced diet, just too much quantity. I reached my goal two months ago and have maintained my loss. I'm trying to find a good calorie number to land on to maintain.

Note: make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There is SOME truth to that. My personal focus is to make a life style change. I want to find a way to eat that I can continue for the rest of my life not for a limited time to lose weight. For that reason I include all my faves as I go along. However, I do try to eliminate unhealthy options like fast food, highly processed foods, and focus on whole foods, fruits, veggies, and proteins that I love. If I have a craving I give in with a limited portion including gelato, frozen yogurt, and even pizza and fried chicken occasionally. I never feel deprived. But I do not eat everything I want whenever I want. That's not, in my opinion, healthy for anyone whether losing weight or not. Good health over weight loss, always.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    There is SOME truth to that. My personal focus is to make a life style change. I want to find a way to eat that I can continue for the rest of my life not for a limited time to lose weight. For that reason I include all my faves as I go along. However, I do try to eliminate unhealthy options like fast food, highly processed foods, and focus on whole foods, fruits, veggies, and proteins that I love. If I have a craving I give in with a limited portion including gelato, frozen yogurt, and even pizza and fried chicken occasionally. I never feel deprived. But I do not eat everything I want whenever I want. That's not, in my opinion, healthy for anyone whether losing weight or not. Good health over weight loss, always.

Exactly. Or, I try to enjoy the things I love....more healthily. ie. dark chocolate over milk chocolate. If I want pizza I make a homemade pizza and smother it with pepper & mushrooms etc :)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    cool story bro
  • ilizzyd
    ilizzyd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am also eating what I want keep up the good work

(Why isn't my ticker showing my 5 lb weight loss ?)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You can also lose weight successfully by starving yourself for a few weeks or months... that doesn't make it healthy anymore than losing weight whilst regularly eating fast food does.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in having the things you enjoy sometimes... but I'm talking, like, a pizza takeaway every couple of months, etc.

Working on a calories in, calories out 'diet' may well work - if your only goal is weight loss. For me I wanted to see some other improvements...higher energy levels, clearer skin etc. All things I wouldn't have achieved (or, at least, not to the same degree) on a calories in, calories out 'diet'.

Not knocking that the way you're doing it can work....just stating that it's not overly respectful of/kind to your body.

I eat whatever I want and my skin is clear, my hair is healthy, my labs came back 'optimal' according to my doctor (except my blood pressure, which is a touch low and unrelated to diet), and I have the energy to lift heavy 3 days a week as well as various forms of cardio and hiking once a week with my husband.

So. What part indicates that eating what I want when I want hasn't left me healthy? Or is this some non-quantifiable metric that no one will be over to actually explain or begin to give me a clue as to measuring or observing?

What works for some doesn't work for all... I come up in spots and whatnot after one day of eating a bit naff. But that's, for the most part, beside the point.

What I was getting at is that if you eat, for instance, a burger, some fries, a milkshake and some toast within your calorie allowance....vs eating 3 balanced meals with 2/3 snacks within your calorie allowance...well, I'm sure we can all agree that the latter is going to be better for your body with regards to the nutrients provided and so on.

I'm not knocking eating foods you enjoy at all.... I still eat way more cheese and chocolate than is really recommended within my week...but I manage to fit it into my calories so that's fine. But it's moderation that we should all be aiming for really. It's fine to have foods that are 'good for the soul' but we need to balance it up with foods that are good for our bodies too.

I know, for instance, that if I worked harder at sorting out my iron intake I would suffer much less from feeling tired etc.... I'm still eating pretty healthily and losing weight but that's not to say that the way I'm doing it is 100% healthy for my body. Still plenty of room for improvement here.

I've coped with doing 2 - 4 hours of cardio + strength 6 days a week whilst living off 'whatever I want' (to quote you).... fries, muffins, biscuits, doritos etc... that's not healthy for my body even if my hair looks sexy and my face is clear of spots.

Calories in, calories out can work for weight loss. Not denying that. Doesn't mean it's healthy OR that it's the best way of doing things. If weight loss is all you want and you're not worried about improving upon how you feel right now, respecting your body and what it needs in the way of nutrients + setting yourself up for a long, healthy life then calories in, calories out will work just fine :)

I see this kind of thing a bit like the 'smoking will kill you' thing... we all know people who've smoked for 60 years and lived til they were 80 or 90.... we also know people who died around 40yrs after just 15 years of smoking (for instance).... that doesn't mean the person who smoked for 60 years was 'right' to do so...it just means they lucked out.

If you want to put your lifelong statistics in your favour then the sooner we all sort our eating out the better. Good luck to everyone here :)

Is this a really long winded way of saying you have no way to prove you're more 'healthy' than me or that I'm not healthy? You said it was about skin and energy levels but now you seem to be backing down from that metric. Because I find when people make a claim dealing with health only to hear that someone is in great health the start getting all hokey and handwavey while muttering about long term health or luck, which shuts down a conversation because of course I have no proof I'll b healthy when I'm forty-fifty-sixty.

And, side bar, a burger, fries, and milkshake would leave plenty of calorie for other food in my day and, for all you know, meets my macro balance perfectly and thus would be a balanced meal. I hit my macros and micro, my labs are optimal, I've never felt or looked better...So how is my diet unhealthy? How is eating what I want going to magically cause ill health? Is there a metric or a way to measure this supposed healthiness, that apparently extends past blood work and energy and appearance, or am I just taking it on faith that at some point in the future that mcnugget is going to cause an issue?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, this has been my philosophy for eight months and it is working great for me. Someone said its because your young and male. I am a fifty one year old female and I have lost almost eighty pounds simply by calorie counting. I eat whatever I want as long as its in my range. Sometimes it's less healthy things and sometimes it's "junk".
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im soooo stoked! I reached my first mini goal of 34 pounds! I haven't been very good at updating my ticker. I will do better this time around! I'm starting my 2nd mini goal of 21 pounds. When I reach it, this will be a huge personal milestone for me.

I'd like to explain how I did it in hopes it will inspire/help others. First, I'm a "professional google researcher" which means I'm one of those people always looking/googling for the weight loss magic bullet. Here is a list of things I've learned that have kept me FAT for the last 6yrs. Stop paying attention to these things and get back to calories in/out and start enjoying your meals again! It's working for me and I thought i was immune to weight loss!

Things to stop paying so much attention to:

1. Eat only "good" complex carbs - Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!
    2. Eat low or no carbs -Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!
    3. Eat only lean protein / whole grains / fruits / vegges - Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!

If we were all professional endurance athletes, these things would matter when it comes to our performances....but for the 99.9% of us who want to lose weight and be thinner, this whole "macro-nutrient" thing is, uh, Bull****!

Instead...make your life easier and make your way of eating more sustainable!

How?? Pay attention to only one thing. Calories, calories, calories!

What did I eat to lose these 34 lbs so far? Anything and everything.

Fast food
    Cookies
    Chips
    Sandwiches
    Burritos
    Pizza

along with healthier foods I actually enjoy! I just paid attention to my portion sizes and overall calories.

Now I'm FINALLY losing weight after 6 yes of being stuck!

Hope this helps.

Oh, and to all you "diet and fitness experts" out there,,,please don't write me and tell me how wrong I am. For me, the proof is in the pudding...so to speak:)

edited because i just now saw that he has deactivated and was probably lying
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    I too eat what I want as long as its within my calories....I did give up sodas and I don't eat as many sweets because I would rather have real food to use my calories on but if I have enough calories left and I want a bowl of ice cream I eat it...and that is what I have been telling all these people around me on some sort of fad diet......I eat what I want and I think that helps me because it makes being on a diet not so bad....I have lost 18lbs since the beginning of June and when I hear of people spending $100's of dollars on plexus or some other fad but yet they haven't lost any more than me I just say all you have to do is watch your calories...now I have come to terms with the fact that I may eventually have to change that but right now im losing eating what I want
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I too eat what I want as long as its within my calories....I just say all you have to do is watch your calories...

True, like many here I am having success with this ^ as well.

The thing is watching calories and portion control can be tough too. So when I read the statement "eat anything/everything you want within your calories" I understand for some that is easier said than done and it strikes me that portion control is a form of deprivation too ~ isn't it?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I too eat what I want as long as its within my calories....I just say all you have to do is watch your calories...

The thing is watching calories and portion control can be tough too. So when I read the statement "eat anything/everything you want within your calories" I understand for some that is easier said than done and it strikes me that portion control is a form of deprivation too ~ isn't it?

Portion control is eating the right amounts for your body and eating the right amount is, by definition, not deprivation.
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options

even if you are eating "healthy" foods you still have to have portion control just because it is considered healthy doesn't mean you can eat your weight in it and not gain
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Im soooo stoked! I reached my first mini goal of 34 pounds! I haven't been very good at updating my ticker. I will do better this time around! I'm starting my 2nd mini goal of 21 pounds. When I reach it, this will be a huge personal milestone for me.

I'd like to explain how I did it in hopes it will inspire/help others. First, I'm a "professional google researcher" which means I'm one of those people always looking/googling for the weight loss magic bullet. Here is a list of things I've learned that have kept me FAT for the last 6yrs. Stop paying attention to these things and get back to calories in/out and start enjoying your meals again! It's working for me and I thought i was immune to weight loss!

Things to stop paying so much attention to:

1. Eat only "good" complex carbs - Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!
    2. Eat low or no carbs -Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!
    3. Eat only lean protein / whole grains / fruits / vegges - Bull****! Eat what you enjoy!

If we were all professional endurance athletes, these things would matter when it comes to our performances....but for the 99.9% of us who want to lose weight and be thinner, this whole "macro-nutrient" thing is, uh, Bull****!

Instead...make your life easier and make your way of eating more sustainable!

How?? Pay attention to only one thing. Calories, calories, calories!

What did I eat to lose these 34 lbs so far? Anything and everything.

Fast food
    Cookies
    Chips
    Sandwiches
    Burritos
    Pizza

along with healthier foods I actually enjoy! I just paid attention to my portion sizes and overall calories.

Now I'm FINALLY losing weight after 6 yes of being stuck!

Hope this helps.

Oh, and to all you "diet and fitness experts" out there,,,please don't write me and tell me how wrong I am. For me, the proof is in the pudding...so to speak:)

I'm a "professional researcher" as well but I'm not just limited to google. I do books, videos, interviews, blogs, etc etc. Whatever means information comes from.

I think the message to take home is that we all need an education as to how our body works. Once we know how our bodies work, then we can figure out what plan will work for your body. I'm glad you found what works for you at this point in life but just so you know there is a limit to that "eat what you want" for some individuals. It's all about the hormones. If your body is working great and you have an active lifestyle...then you CAN eat ANYTHING you want...including the carbs (regardless of form)...but that's just not a choice for those who are insulin resistant.

I tried that eat anything you want diet years ago in my early 20s and it worked beautifully. I tried it again this time around and it didn't happen. Do you know what's working? Higher fat, moderate protein and the "sweet spot" mentioned by Mark Sisson in terms of carbs. With this, I'm not hungry, I'm not craving stuff and I'm finally losing weight. It's taken me over a year to find this out.

We all have different levels of sensitivities to carbs. Find what your level is and eat your carbs according to that limit, eat a calorie deficit and you will see constant weight loss and be healthy at the same time. Don't follow any advice or diet plan by the "gurus". The first step is to learn how well YOUR body is tolerating carbs. If you are blessed with great genes and can enjoy all the carbs in the world then by all means enjoy the "eat what you want" diet. If it catches up to you years down the line, then you know what to do but be informed about how your body works. how your body processes different nutrients and decide from there WHAT you're going to eat.

Best wishes to all.....
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    yep, a big yes to that ! I still eat the same foods but I still lost the weight.

Calorie matters ! eat at a deficit, control your calories.

lose weight!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!