The best % of Max Heart Rate for losing weight, walking?

Options
I've been reading what the best percentage of your maximum heart rate should be while exercising for losing weight. There are many different answers. I have a heart rate monitor so it would be helpful to know exactly what I should be looking for while walking. I'm 41yo so my maximum is 179 beats per minute. For a moderate work out I have seen where it should be between 70-80% of max and between 60-70% for light activity. In this same article online it mentioned that between 60-70% is best for weight loss, doing it for 30 minutes a day. I have had it stuck in my head that you need to do as much as you can w/o keeling over to be effective. LOL. Any words of wisdom would be helpful. Thank you.

Replies

• rparkman
    rparkman Posts: 15
    Options
    My trainer has me doing 30 minutes of 80% of max, first thing when I wake up in the morning. It has worked like a charm.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    An interesting article:

http://m.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone

I personally just use My HRM to calculate calories burned- I've never used it to stay in a certain zone. Oh, and to be sure my heart rate is not too high during insanity ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The 60-70% of MaxHR is the so-called "fat burning zone" which, in terms of weight loss, is completely meaningless (you burn a higher proportion of calories from fat but a lot fewer calories overall and there's no correlation between burning fat and losing weight - it's the caloric deficit)

For both increased caloric expenditure (which may make it easier to maintain a caloric deficit) and cardiovascular health you should be aiming for the 70 to80% MaxHR which would require a pretty brisk walking pace.

Personally I'm a big fan of perceived effort. It should feel like work but shouldn't leave you gasping for air and keeling over is definitely not recommended.

30 minutes a day (for cardiovascular health) should be considered a bare minimum. If you can fit more in to your schedule that would be great (or you could try other activities based on personal preference and available time)