women's pants sizes, so frustrating

Options

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    when you wear pants/jeans over and over--they DO stretch out with time. Keeping that in mind all manufactures have different sizes and different cuts. I wear 3 different sizes in my jeans according to who makes them. Don't get discouraged--just find the designer that fits YOU
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Somehow I've realized that when you go from size 16's to 14's the sizes change. You might have gone from "women's" sizes to reg sizes. The difference can sometimes be unfair. You finally lose enough to get out of the "fat " pants since they are too big only to step into the same size at a non plus size store.
    Congrats on the loss. In no time I'm sure you'll need the real 14's or 12's.
    I'm with the previous person go to sizes like men's...easier and more consistent

Good point! It took a long time for me to get from a 16 to a 14 but from there down to an 8 was much faster.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    These were all taken the same day. Granted, the 2s were really tight, and the 10s were rather loose, but there's no consistency at all in clothing sizes.

size_zps24f90592.jpg
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    when you wear pants/jeans over and over--they DO stretch out with time. Keeping that in mind all manufactures have different sizes and different cuts. I wear 3 different sizes in my jeans according to who makes them. Don't get discouraged--just find the designer that fits YOU

I have had the same problem of pants being too loose/tight from repeated washings (some materials stretch and some shrink) and a different size fitting. Whoever recommended Old Navy had a good point about them offering different lengths, tho for me they are too *short*...Ann Taylor offers petites as well, may actually be the Loft store. I think Banana Republic does as well.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i'm a 2 at old navy, 4 at american eagle, 5-7 in juniors departments, 0 at macy's INC. it is frustrating i know.
  • jazzrose007
    jazzrose007 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are feeling. Pant sizes can be very frustrating. I tried on a few at the store yesterday but it seems that the "womens" sizes are just made bigger than the regular size, so therefore, you will still be the same size. i.e 16 in jeans. I hate it but will keep aiming for the size 12 regular fit.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    These were all taken the same day. Granted, the 2s were really tight, and the 10s were rather loose, but there's no consistency at all in clothing sizes.

size_zps24f90592.jpg

This sums it all up!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My major jeans frustration is that when I buy a pair that fits snugly, they fit perfectly for an hour or two of wearing, and then they stretch and become loose fitting.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    And don't forget places like Target and Old Navy have body shape style pants. I have a pair of jeans from Target and a part of bermuda shorts from the Loft, both in the "curvy" style and they are falling off of me. While I go and try on my old clothes that are only one size down and they don't fit yet because they aren't in the "curvy" style.

At least the "curvy" style always fits me better. I just don't want to get new clothes yet.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I also found that many brands now have some lycra in them, some stretch, and that does stretch out.

My daughter's are petite and they find Old Navy, Gap, Ann Taylor and Am Eagle have petites although the first two, they can only find online most of the time.

My tall friend loves lands end and LL bean because they have talls.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If I want to compare to see how many sizes I've lost, I try on the same brand, always (Lee). But otherwise it's just all over the place.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ladies

I have accepted this as reality: You must have the right proportions to buy off the rack. Expect to use a tailor. I have had many pants taken in/shortened. I have also had dresses taken in/shortened. The fit like a glove now.

Do not worry about the tags. cut them out.

Celebrities have their clothes tailor made. Take my advice and find yourself a good/affordable tailor.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can attest to this! I think some brands even change their sizing. Over Christmas break I bought a couple of pairs of the "Artist Flare" jeans from American Eagle in size 4 and they fit perfectly. Last week, when I was visiting home, I saw they had the "New and Improved" Artist Flare jean, so I figured I would pick up a few more pairs. I went to try on a size 4 pair and couldn't get them past my thighs. I guess they are stretch jeans now when they weren't before so they fit more snugly (or so I was told), but I was frustrated since I haven't gained any weight since Christmas (I have actually even lost some weight since then).
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I hate pants shopping! I prefer drawstring waists, strechy fabrics, leggings, dresses, cuz i also hate belts !
  • therunninghippie
    therunninghippie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Easy solution: switch to yoga pants. It's freeing :)
  • Ademar111
    Ademar111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    While jeans from Buckle may be a little more expensive they will tailor them to your size for free; they also go by waist size just like men's jeans!. Hope this helps!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    While jeans from Buckle may be a little more expensive they will tailor them to your size for free; they also go by waist size just like men's jeans!. Hope this helps!

bump ty
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm always in between sizes, I hate clothes shopping! Just recently the path from 14 to 12 felt like there should have been 2 more sizes in between! Anything that fits my waist perfect is baggy in the legs and forget about skinny jeans ever buttoning.. :sad:

Same here!! Pants will fit great in the waist but be ridiculously baggy in the legs. It's so frustrating going clothes shopping because nothing ever fits right.

I recently went down to 10s and there's still a pair (the pair I was most excited about wearing) that fits more like a 6 or something because those were not about to button up. hahaha I was very discouraged and am glad I didn't try those 10s on first because I'd still be wearing my frumpy 12s right now! I wish I could just wear skirts everyday.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    With jeans, I find that the cut matters more than the size. I have long wide hip bones, and a fairly narrow waist comparatively. The "curvy" cut jeans with a higher waist generally fit well (Levi's 515 and 529 are the best).

My suggestion would be to take a good look at jeans that fit you best in your closet and see if you can find a similar waist/hip cut.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I can wear anywhere from a 4 to a 10 depending on the brand