women's pants sizes, so frustrating

Options

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Men's clothing sizes seem so much more consistent!
    A little, but not really.

The pants labelled 31, 32, 33 and 34 in my closet would disagree with this statement... they all fit.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's also who makes the pants and how many countries are doing it....weird but true example. I found a great pair of khaki color pants years ago at TJMaxx...good brand, fit nice. They were 10 at the time. I decided a week later to go back and get the black color too...was happy they still had them. They were a bit snug...thought I put on weight. Tried on the khaki and they fit. Hubby said look at the "made in" not the size. He was right...two different countries, same pants, same style. One cut more generously. lol
    You just can't win.
  • AndreeAnneB
    AndreeAnneB Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've deal with this problem by only buying my pants at Retman (Canada, not sure it exists elsewhere). They fit my big hip and thighs, and are really great quality.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds and have gone from an 18w to an *drumroll* 18!

Really, I'm fitting the entire range of 18's in my closet, it's a bit silly but whatevs. I'm healthier and I know it. Come to think of it, there are a few 16's I'm wearing too. Woman's sizes are a bit silly.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Today I wore a pair of 16 Capri jeans, they are falling off me. I literally can slide them off completely buttoned and zipped. Went shopping, tried on 4 pairs of jeans, size 14 in 4 different brands and they were all way too tight. Makes no sense, frustrated!

I'm in the same boat! This is why I'm wearing the same 5 outfits to work lately because I just don't know what to buy!

The linen capris I have on right now are size 14 and have a belt so I can tighten them. I have size 16 tall jeans (belt required), size 14 regular skinny jeans and size 14 regular jeans from Target. Then for tops I'm anywhere from a medium to large tall to extra large regular...so confusing!!

My advice is if you can find a brand that works for your body type, by like 6 pairs if you can afford it. I like Eddie Bauer slightly curvy boot cut jeans but they are kinda pricey so I only have 2 pairs until I can save for another 2.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm over it. Skirts and dresses everyday.

Ditto this!!!!
  • tamikawoodson
    tamikawoodson Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Although my profiles says 20lbs lost, I've actually lost 58lbs went from 263 in January to 205.2 as of today. I was wearing a 18/20W pants and XXL shirts. I mainly shop at Cato Fashions and Ross Dress for Less. I'm now in a 16 some 14 in pants and shirts are L or XL depending on the cut. I used to go strictly by size but now I look at how the clothes fit me and how I feel in them. Every manufacture as others have posted have different sizes and cuts for their clothes. I can now wear a pair of my son's jeans that are to small for him(36x32) granted they are a little long but he is 6'2 and I'm 5'5, they fit nice and give my flat behind some shape. Don't beat yourself up about the actual size, buy what fits your body and you will keep losing so don't invest too much in clothes until you reach your goal weight and size.:wink:
  • gracejr
    gracejr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same here! I've lost 37 pounds, my old pants are literally falling off me, but when I bought replacements I wound up getting the same darned size. Add in the fact that I'm short, and pants shopping is becoming a nightmare!
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm over it. Skirts and dresses everyday.

This ^ I'm an apple with most of the weight so far coming off my back and legs. Pants are officially impossible. It's also much easier to make a skirt work while losing weight.
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think this has already been stated, but I find that Old Navy is the best place for jeans. They have different styles for different body shapes, which is huge for me! I am an Apple shape, so no waist at all!! When I wear their "Diva", which sits just below the belly button and doesn't 'cut in' for a waist... I comfortably fit into a size 8. But if I try to wear another style that is made for ladies who have hips and a slim waist?? I have to go all the way up to a 14. I have long legs, so it is nice to be able to choose the inseam length appropriately as well. When they are too long, you can cut/hem them shorter, but if they are too short... your messed. Old Navy is inexpensive and the choices help so much. I don't even try anything on there anymore unless it says it is a 'Diva' cut. My friend wears the 'Sweetheart', as she can't get the Diva's over her hips.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I would just like pants/jeans that don't have a watermelon-sized gap between the waistband and my back.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Ladies: I will clarify:

I have been an 18, and in some places am now a 2 or 4 or 8

These numbers mean nothing.

Your clothes must fit you. Find a tailor. Buy a bit big, give them something to work with. A pair of pants/dress which fits you well will look best.
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i agree completely.in january i was 250lbs and in a lane bryant 20 jeans.now im 196 and have gotten to my previous dream goal of lane bryant 14/16 jeans fitting.ordered a pair of michael kors jeans in size 12 online and when they arrived i was stunned to be able to zip them right up.so now i have michael kors size 12,tommy hilfiger size 12/14 and lb size 14 that all fit the same.i usually dont believe the size until i have at least 3 pair in different brands that fit.kinda like when we on mfp lost weight...everyone i know weighs themselves like 5-10 times that day to make sure they have actually lost! :-D
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    These were all taken the same day. Granted, the 2s were really tight, and the 10s were rather loose, but there's no consistency at all in clothing sizes.

size_zps24f90592.jpg

I can relate to this!

I usually go for pants that have the actual waist size on them. like 31/32, etc.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Women's pant sizing can be SUPER frustrating.....no consistency whatsoever.

This is why I never leave the store without trying on. And....I'm learning not to take the size too personally because honestly -- women's sizing is crap ;)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My husband always asks why they aren't like men's where they just list the waist size and length. I used to be a size 24, lost 25 pounds and now I wear a 22, but there are several size 24s that I need to lose another 10-15 pounds to get in.

I've found that Macy's Style & Co. pants are either cut smaller or their waists are much smaller than other brands. Unfortunately I'm not a pear-shaped gal, so if they don't fit my waist, I can't wear them!

The Buckle has pants that are measured in inches. But they are more expensive than what you can get at discount or department stores. When I went to try on pants there a few years ago they even had a taylor that you could get them more fitted. I wish I wasn't a poor college student then, because I would have had the best fitting and looking jeans ever. But I couldn't afford the $50+ price tag and haven't had an opportunity to go back.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    got some hand-me-downs from my sister from high school

American eagle size 2 I can get buttoned
    Aeropostal size 7 I couldn't get over my thighs
    I round to about a size 6

not going to lie. AE sizing sure did give me a bit of a pep
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would just like pants/jeans that don't have a watermelon-sized gap between the waistband and my back.

Lucky brand jeans do a great job of this, they are my favorite. They have no gap and double belt loop in the back that also helps. If they don't work you'll probably have to always get jeans tailored.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Ladies: I will clarify:

I have been an 18, and in some places am now a 2 or 4 or 8

These numbers mean nothing.

Your clothes must fit you. Find a tailor. Buy a bit big, give them something to work with. A pair of pants/dress which fits you well will look best.

I... I, I think I love you.
  • kpick41
    kpick41 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating! I have a closet full of clothes in many sizes. I wish there was some standard sizing. I bet people wouldn't be frustrated and shop more knowing it will fit them.