Running with your phone

Options

Replies

• cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I find it fit's nicely between my butt cheeks. Ok it's sweaty and smelly and I gag when making the first call afterwards, and I have to change phones weekly, but it doesn't affect my running.

Seriously tho'...armband

LOL hilarious :laugh: :laugh: !
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Arm Pocket! Works great :)
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone (I get no reception at home, so can't justify the cost, as I spend most of my time at home.) But I do have Nexus 7 that I have my running app on. I wear a small back pack (child's size, actually) to hold it. I can still hear it when it is on my back, unless a car is going by.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'm classy. I put mine in my sports bra. With my HRM band under my bra, the phone stays in place and it's easy for me to get to change volume, check my route mileage, etc.

Like I said, totally classy. lol
    Lol I thought I was the only classy one. I find it sits nicely between my arm and ribcage.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm classy. I put mine in my sports bra. With my HRM band under my bra, the phone stays in place and it's easy for me to get to change volume, check my route mileage, etc.

I can't believe I never thought of this... lol... definitely going to give it a whirl !

I do this sometimes too. Put the phone in a plastic baggie to keep it from getting damaged from sweat.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am pretty sure there was a 21 year old girl, with no family history, that possibly got breast cancer from keeping her phone in her bra. She had it in there for 12 hours a day every day....but it would still be something I would watch. I sweat too much for that to even be an option, I use a waterproof armband.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    On the road it is in my bra also, but I don't listen to music when I run on the road. On the treadmill I put it in the cup holder , I do listen to music on the treadmill. ;)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I don't normally take my phone running with me, but if I do, I put it in my bra. My husband has a lifeproof case and the armband that matches it.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple different models for my iphone. One was a neoprene-type pocket that strapped to my arm. That thing would get so hot during my runs that it felt like it was burning my skin. It was also pretty bulky on the arm and hard to access the phone to change apps, check music, etc.. The front plastic ended up separating from the band and I had to throw it away after only a couple months. Good riddance.

I bought a Tuneband for iphone a month ago and love it. It's a rubbery skin with a stretchy velcro armband attached. Very low-profile and comfortable and only cost $21 on amazon. You do have to take your phone out of whatever cover you use, but it's worth it to get the snug, comfortable fit and only takes a couple seconds to change out. I don't know if they make it for other phones but check out the Tuneband and look for something similar that is compatible with your phone. Look for user ratings and read the comments.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use an armband and bluetooth headphones that let me change the volume of the music and the track right from the headset, so I never really have to fool with my phone.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Since at walk at 4am, I wear a fanny pack that holds my phone, keys, flashlight and mace.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started with the phone in my sports bra. Until I found out the sweat was getting INTO the phone and causing problems. Can't be replacing phones because I sweat too much.

Swithched to an arm band and found it INCREDIBLY annoying.

Now I use a fitness belt. I keep my ID, Keys, pepper spray (my FIL insists) fuel gel, and phone in the 2 pockets. It snugs down over my hips and is as comfy as can be! My phone is a bit too big for the one I currently have, so I have to remove the phone case each time, but that's a small inconvenience.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I can't believe I never thought of this... lol... definitely going to give it a whirl !

I do this sometimes too. Put the phone in a plastic baggie to keep it from getting damaged from sweat.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I am pretty sure there was a 21 year old girl, with no family history, that possibly got breast cancer from keeping her phone in her bra. She had it in there for 12 hours a day every day....but it would still be something I would watch. I sweat too much for that to even be an option, I use a waterproof armband.
    I was thinking the same thing....I know way too many otherwise-healthy people who have had unexplained brain tumors in the past 4-5 years and there's a lot of suspicion that cell phones are responsible for the increase.... I make a point not to keep my phone close to my body as much as possible....
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Mine sits in my bra. Gets a little sweaty at times so I worry I will kill it one day, but so far, so good!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I use a small running belt. I had an arm band but it never fits right or stays where I want it to. The small running belt sits under my shirt, at my waist band of my shorts and is great to keep a credit card, key fob, and my phone. I never even feel it's there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi probably some if you use various phone apps when running/ exercising.
    Myself I use Runtastic and of course MFP.

A question... Where do you keep your phone so that it doesn't bother you when running? I have a tiny pocket in my short pants but it takes serious gymnastics to close this pocket with phone in, nevermind reaching back for the phone during the run to adjust the volume.

Do you use some other methods? My phone us not iPhone but almost same size.
    Thanks!

between my two bras.

a rack holder?
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was using an armband but, alas, it fell apart:( I need to get a new one.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use my SpiBelt and I love it! It fits my phone (galaxy s3) and a house key. I use the iCardio app to map my runs and track my calories burned. And I can listen to my music while I run.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I read the title for the post and all I could think was, "Better than running with scissors."

In response to the question, though, I bought myself an armband and have had no issues with dropping it, the phone getting wet, or anything else like that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    My wife uses my "mic" belt (one I wear at the gym for instruction) to hold hers. It's all neoprene and light weight and not overly crazy looking.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tunebelt.com/domino/tunebelt/tunebelt.nsf/mb3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tunebelt.com/&h=160&w=216&sz=7&tbnid=y5Xt0XxAS6UQoM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=122&zoom=1&usg=__0-AmWQKR84VpgZQGOVzXTVj6H0k=&docid=QQptn9zTTPS9sM&sa=X&ei=Dk8KUr6oC6KRygGMuYGIDQ&ved=0CFMQ9QEwAQ&dur=4973

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I use an armband. I strap it to my arm and put my headphones in. That of course does mean that I can't run with it in the rain though.

If you didn't want to use an armband, I'd look into something like a spibelt.
    \

same here. now that I'm not holding it in my hand I can run better!