BodyMedia and MFP, and my brain is going to explode!!!

Options
Hey, so I posted awhile ago about my weight loss troubles. I was originally on 1200 cal/day and didn't seem to be losing any weight, it was suggested that I up it to 1600 cal/day at min. I was getting frustrated with all the guesswork involved with this so I bought a BodyMedia Fit band so I can tell EXACTLY how much I am burning during the day.

As in my profile, I am in the Canadian Military and I have a pretty physical job. I work with ammunition - which is a lot of heavy lifting. I go to the gym everyday (7 days a week) plus often have physical training in the morning with the military. My bodymedia band arrived last Thursday and I started using it Friday.

My settings are to
lose 2lbs/week
start weight of 172 with a goal weight of 135.
It has my target at 2500 cals burned per day and
consume 1500 cals/day

I set it to Very Active which is
30 mins vigorous activity/day
60 mins of moderate activity/day
10,000 steps /day

Friday's stats were:
3055 cals burned for the day
1583 cals consumed (logged on MFP)
1472 cal deficit
2 hrs 30 mins of moderate activity
35 mins of vigorous activity
17,889 steps
5:01 hours of sleep

Saturday's Stats:
2764 cals burned
1373 cals consumed
1391 cal deficit
1 hour 49 mins moderate activity
32 mins vigorous activity
13,410 steps
11 hours sleep

Sundays Stats:
2884 cals burned
1421 cals consumed
1463 cal deficit
2 hours 43 mins moderate activity
16 mins vigorous activity
12,325 steps
7 hours sleep

Today's stats (so far as of 9:15 pm)
3146 cals burned
1327 cals consumed
1819 cal deficit
3 hours 23 mins moderate activity
31 mins vigorous activity
15,702 steps
5 hours 10 mins sleep

I did my last weigh in on 15 march and the scale at the gym said just under 174, so I deducted under 2 lbs for clothing to give me a weight of about 172 lbs. I weighed myself again tonight and I am at just under 174 lbs.. NO CHANGE!

I am busting my chops here going to the gym daily. Logging EVERYTHING that I eat, even bought a food scale so I can be EXACT about it! I am soooo frustrated!!! My neighbor doesn't work half as hard as me and she is down 3lbs!!!! what a rip-off! LOL!

I read the in place of a road map post... it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I got the following numbers when I did the calculations it suggested:

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1886
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2162
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2437
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2712
Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2987

I personally can't fathom eating that much food!!!

My diary is open.

I just want to see some progress. I am measuring as well, but haven't measured since 15 March.

Thoughts??? Cause I'm ready to slam my head into a wall!!! GRRRR!!

Replies

• mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your stats where I started and cal burn/ physical job..everything are almost identical to me...I however am now down to 138......I did start around 170..... I have anywhere from a 800-1050 deficit on any given day and have been losing around 1 1/2-3 pds a week. I think your deficit may b to large....I'd personally try for no more then avg.1,000 deficit.....My last wk average deficit was 934, lost 1 1/2pds....wk before1071 lost 2 1/2, wk before that 936, lost 1 1/2....wk before that 1060, lost 1 1/2pds...Ive only had my bodymedia that long and find it VERY accurate for the burn part....I was also before that eating 1800-2200/day and losing the same every wk.....on saturdays I try to eat at maint... which if i have to work is around 3,000..if i dont work its around 2400....
  • dj7879
    dj7879 Posts: 22
    Options
    Your calorie deficit is to high. Your i starvation mode.
  • farrier_chick
    farrier_chick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I reset my stats to:
    Burn 2940 cals/day - which will be no problem on work days but will require some moderate work on weekends
    consume 1940 cals/day - which will be a struggle to eat that much.. might have to enter protein shake land *shudder*
    exercise side of the hous:
    90 mins of moderate activity - no problem at work, some work required on weekends
    60 mins of vigorous activity - double what I am doing now

so the goal is to keep my calorie deficit at the most 1000, eat back ALL exercise calories if required to stay in check.

We will see how this all works out in another 2 weeks..

Thanks for your help guys, I am super frustrated but hopefully will get this sorted out soon
  • dj7879
    dj7879 Posts: 22
    Options
    It will. I made the same mistake. I thought I was suppose to eat less not more. Now that I'm eating my right amount of calories, I'm losing my two pounds a week. Eat higher calorie foods for snacks like nuts or high calorie healthy shakes. They keep you feeling full a lot longer than you would think.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week might be a little too ambitious anyway. I'd go with one pound a week.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options
    I did the same thing with my body media, tried to maximize that deficit. I stalled BIG TIME. Almond and peanut butter became my friend. Very dense calories, and very tasty. I'm still working on upping my calories, and focus on making my deficit around 750. I've lost more that way than maintaining a 1,000 deficit.
  • Ankinha
    Ankinha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I'd also like to ask a question on that topic please. I am also a BodyMedia armband wearer and on a normal day, without going to the gym, but just walking to work and back etc, I burn around 2,000. I've calculated my TDDE as 2,003 and on a 20% weight loss target would mean I had to consume about 1,600 calories. I've decided to eat 1,650 a day and have added that in the manual goal section.

Question: should I turn the negative calorie display function off or on? I am currently off sick so have only burned 1,849 yesterday. In my MFP diary it then shows up as -145 and says that I could still eat those calories. But when using the TDDE method the exercise calories are already accounted for. Also what should I be setting my BodyMedia goals to?

MFP goals are: 1,650 calories per day,
    Calories Burned / Week 530.0 calories/week
    Workouts / Week 3 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 30 mins
    Your diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,990 calories/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,650.0 calories/ day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 340.0 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 0.7 lbs/ week

My BodyMedia is set to consume 1,650 a day and burn 550, plus 60 minutes of light exercise and 9,000 steps.

Am really quite confused and would appreciate your help.

Many thanks.
    Ankinha
  • rankingfullstop
    rankingfullstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know I need to raise my calories. However, I'm not sure how the device is computing "vigorous" activity (I mentioned this in another thread). I'm worried that I don't have it set correctly and that I might be burning more calories than it is indicating. If I'm on my trainer and working out at 75-85% max heart rate for close to two hours I'm definitely burning through some calories. Why would it indicate that as being just a few minutes of vigorous activity? My heart rates should be set just fine - I had my Vo2 max tested some time ago.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough calories for the activity you're doing. So either consume more food, or reduce your activity. Aim for a deficit no more than 1000, and really I'd probably do no more than 500, but it sounds like you want a more aggressive plan than that. If you have trouble getting in the calories, start by adding in 200 calories or so a week and build from there. Your body will get used to have more calories and will in turn crave them.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Try the 1890, but it matters what those 1890 are. 40% carbs MAX, 30% protein, 30% fat...

Home, goals, settings, custom... Change sugars here too

Also your sugar is way too high. Stick to 40g or less. Best fruits for your blood sugars are berries, melon, pineapple and grapes. If your eating them it's better to before your workout..

If you eat 25% of exercise calories eat more protein or healthy fats, not extra carbs..

If you do eat back exercise calories eat 25% max....

If you do that, and you don't get results I'll eat my hat! Got to give it a month to see if it's working for you!

I think your in America... Jay robb protein tastes great!?

Zara.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I know I need to raise my calories. However, I'm not sure how the device is computing "vigorous" activity (I mentioned this in another thread). I'm worried that I don't have it set correctly and that I might be burning more calories than it is indicating. If I'm on my trainer and working out at 75-85% max heart rate for close to two hours I'm definitely burning through some calories. Why would it indicate that as being just a few minutes of vigorous activity? My heart rates should be set just fine - I had my Vo2 max tested some time ago.

Input your exercise calories on here, if it's synced it will update your stats and give you a new TDEE. I put exercise cakories in and let it figure the rest. Calories burnt per min have to be very high to earn vigorous activity on body media. Hard to get!

Zara
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree,eat more calories. I know how physical your job is being in the Military(My DH is in the Canadian Military too).

Try and up your Protein intake,you're not eating enough. Don't forget to drink your water too!

Good luck,keep us updated!
  • rankingfullstop
    rankingfullstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I definitely do a lot of cardio and a variety of it. Due to surgery my strength/resistance training is limited to aquakinetics and I use aqualogix equipment. I had a massive spinal fusion back in October and I'm actually just getting back to doing some intense physical activities now. I'm also on lifitng restrictions... nothing over about 35lbs.

All of my cardio is on the trainer or in the pool - I'll never be able to run due to leg issues but I can hammer it on the bike and do some aqua jogging. I'm working towards building up my endurance for distance cycling events. Most are metric century rides but my goal is to do a full century by Fall. Last year, before my surgery, I did a 60 miler and had a blast. It was all flat though and no hills. I ride a recumbent and hills can be rough going.
  • margiethinner
    margiethinner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my bodymedia for about 10 days now, yesterday I worked by but off at the gym it only recorded 30 minutes of activity when I spent 45 on the treadmill and 10 on the stair climber then did steps at the local school, then I went swimming at night. I'm frustrated too. I am wondering if since I was really sweating alot did my bodymedia maybe stop or had trouble recording I too have a large deficit each day. It tells me to ain for 1000 when some days I have over 2000 deficit, never any time under 1400 for deficit. I weighed myself today and haven't lost any weight in the last week. urg...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It blows my mind that you would go to the extent of following your macros then would get on a scale and just arbitrarily decide to subtract weight for clothes. Just funny being so exact for one thing and then make such a crazy assumption of weight of clothes and expect anything to be accurate.

Weigh yourself the same time of the day everytime in your birthday suit. Stop guessing at ****. Either do it all they way or don't do it at all.

Also,
    With you in the gym as much as you claim, the issue might be that you're not getting enough of your calories a day from protein not that you are not getting enough or too little calories.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my bodymedia for about 10 days now, yesterday I worked by but off at the gym it only recorded 30 minutes of activity when I spent 45 on the treadmill and 10 on the stair climber then did steps at the local school, then I went swimming at night. I'm frustrated too. I am wondering if since I was really sweating alot did my bodymedia maybe stop or had trouble recording I too have a large deficit each day. It tells me to ain for 1000 when some days I have over 2000 deficit, never any time under 1400 for deficit. I weighed myself today and haven't lost any weight in the last week. urg...

You'd be amazed at how hard you have to work to get your Bodymedia to call it "vigorous" activity. Hell, I was doing Crossfit and (I thought) killing myself, and it only called it "moderate."

Now I'm doing Insanity, and on the days that the workout is heavily into cardio it'll spend a lot of time in "vigorous" world. On the days the workout is more about endurance and bodyweight stuff it'll spend less time registering as "vigorous." This is just a guess, but I'm thinking that the Bodymedia measures hard cardio as vigorous and other, just as difficult, strength stuff as not. This is one reason I really love my Bodymedia - no more fooling myself about how hard I really am working. If I'm working hard, it'll tell me. And if I'm not working hard enough, it'll tell me that, too.

I don't worry (at all) about the calorie deficit info on the Bodymedia, just go by what it says on MFP. They integrate perfectly and MFP will project for the day while the Bodymedia won't. Helps me plan my caloric intake and macronutrients more effectively.

To the OP - I agree with the previous folks in that you're not getting enough calories in your day for the amount of burn you're doing. Slowly increase your caloric intake over the course of several weeks until you're at a 750-1000 calorie daily deficit. I'd also play with "zig zag" calorie management - once you've established a more reasonable daily deficit, fool your body into thinking it's not starving by doing a couple of NO deficit days every week. That's a lot of eating given your caloric expenditure, but calorie-dense foods like nuts and almond butter can get you there. You need to convince your body that it's not going to starve so that it speeds your metabolism back into burn mode. It'll take a while to jump-start your metabolism, but you're going to need to be patient and give it time to work. It didn't get this way overnight.
  • amandathegreat320
    amandathegreat320 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone--

I have been wearing my armband for almost three weeks. At first I didn't lose anything, I actually gained! the first week. The second week I lost like .6 lb or something like that and this week I will weigh in on Wed. but I feel better so I will be surprised if I didn't lose. I think my biggest problem is that I don't eat enough, I have been trying to incorporate an additional snack in to be sure I stay within the deficit of 750. Other than that, I totally love it. It keeps me honest, like Mountaingirl1 said, it tells me if I have worked hard REALLY (LOL)
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Read your body media guide.

Moderate activity and vig activity is based on METS. You can adjust it as needed but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Also, be patient.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is too big just like these others have said...try lowering it to 1.5 or even 1 pound a week. You will see weight loss! I promise you! This isn't a race. Even a small loss every day will be a loss and get you closer to your goal weight. I've been using mine for 3 weeks and have lost 5.5 lbs. :)

My daily burn is set to 2250
    calorie intake is set to 1750
    Calorie deficit-500 (1 lb/week) I do try to go above that but never too much...and NEVER above 1000 deficit. It stalls me when I go higher than that.

30 minutes activity
    8000 steps....
    You don't have to kill yourself to lose the weight. Some people like to but I prefer to do what I will be able to keep up for an entire lifestyle. :)

BTW I would love to have some friends that use Bodymedia! I wish there was a group.