My new 'go to' snack/appetizer. Yummy!

Options
phieaglefan
phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
This may have been posted in the past, if so, apologies.

Okay, I bought some wonton wrappers. I had never bought them before - in my store, they were near the refrigerated salad dressings and with the tofu - in the produce area.

So, take a muffin or cupcake tin, spray each area and put a wonton wrapper in each. Bake in a 375 oven for 5 minutes to set them. Take them out and fill with stuff.

First I tried turkey sausage seasoned with italian seasoning, mixed with a little pizza sauce and topped with a tiny bit of provolone cheese. (I used a cupcake tin for this one, so they were smaller than the muffin tin ones.) For the cheese, I took a slice of the Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Provolone (40 cals per slice) and cut it in quarters. They were pretty good and were only 55 calories per cup - 5 carb, 2 fat, 5 protein.

Then I tried the really good ones. Take some cooked chicken breast meat and cream it with two wedges of Laughing Cow light. I used the plain Swiss once, and French Onion once. Both worked well. Then add buffalo sauce to taste (mine is 0 cals. per serving- a few have up to 25 cals). Again, top with a 1/4 slice of cheese and bake. These I made in muffin tins. I used a bunch of chicken - 6.5 ounces for 6 muffin cups. They ended up being 80 calories, 5 carb, 2 fat, 10 protein.

I have been taking them for mid-afternoon snacks to work. I get a decent amount of protein in the chicken ones for only 80 calories and they're yummy! I think I'll make these quite a lot during football season!

I know there are other great ideas for what to put in these cups. Like turkey with taco seasoned meat and a bit of salsa and cheese? Eggs and bacon or turkey sausage?

Enjoy!

Replies

• pologirl1
    pologirl1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I am going to have to try this.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Have to try these!
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I made these with steak, peppers, onion once for a party. "Hand held fajitas".! Great ideas, thank you!!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    hmmmm sound simple and possibilities are endless!! Going to try :) Thanks!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this sounds really good!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    Wonton wrappers are so useful. I love lasagna cupcakes, which are similar.

http://www.emilybites.com/2011/07/lasagna-cupcakes.html

Also you can spray a baking sheet, place wanton wrappers in a single layer, salt and bake for 10 minutes for a lower fat alternative to chips.
  • SunnySouth2013
    SunnySouth2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • tracimcp
    tracimcp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YUMMY!
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    -I am also going to give this a try... sound easy enough that even I can do something!!!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    That sounds good.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh yum!!! Gotta try this.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Will try there, sounds good, thanks!
  • LadyEm06
    LadyEm06 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I make something similar with shredded chicken seasoned for tacos, I fill the cups with the chicken, top with sliced jalapeno and shredded cheddar, bake until the cheese melts, then serve with salsa. Great for football parties.
  • skendrick0601
    skendrick0601 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try these at the weekend, with some baked fruit I think this might go really well:

1 Peach,peeled + sliced
    1 Nectarine & sliced,
    handful of plums sliced

Put in a bowl, cover in 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 2 tsp sugar/splender/stevia drops
    Bake 180C 30mins, stiring half way.

This goes really well with yogurt, I bet it would go nice in these wrappers.
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Bump!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sknapstein
    sknapstein Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also you can spray a baking sheet, place wanton wrappers in a single layer, salt and bake for 10 minutes for a lower fat alternative to chips.

I like the chip idea. Thanks.