Cabbage!!!

Options
For the last 2 weeks I have been substituting any dish that would normally call for pasta with shredded cabbage and it is delicious!!! I have made Cabbage spagetti, cabbage lasagna (add some brown rice and you have lazy man's cabbage rolls) mexican cabbage soup, and tonight I browned up some butterball smoked turkey sausage and added a head of shredded cabbage, 1 jar of salsa, and some chicken broth and then cooked it till the cabbage was tender. I think that cabbage is my new love!

Replies

• MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like cabbage but never buy it because I am the only one here that likes it...but....I think I need to buy me some cabbage :wink: What you made tonight sounds yummy!
  • mizyvee
    mizyvee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I love cabbage.
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What great ideas...cabbage is going on my shopping list pronto!!! I haven't used it for a while..sort of forgot about it....more of a fall and winter thing. Low cal, no fat, healthy, tastes good and is filling!! Another use.... I shred it very fine and put it in my soups in place of noodles.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage, but the gas!!!
  • jessifer333
    Options
    what an awesome idea :) i've made the cabbage soup in the past, but using it with all the other recipes sounds great! thanks for the great tip!
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    For the last 2 weeks I have been substituting any dish that would normally call for pasta with shredded cabbage and it is delicious!!! I have made Cabbage spagetti, cabbage lasagna (add some brown rice and you have lazy man's cabbage rolls) mexican cabbage soup, and tonight I browned up some butterball smoked turkey sausage and added a head of shredded cabbage, 1 jar of salsa, and some chicken broth and then cooked it till the cabbage was tender. I think that cabbage is my new love!

how did u make cabbage spaghetti? o-o
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What a great idea to substitute cabbage for pasta! I made cooked red cabbage today, with apples and cloves - also very yummy :)
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage, but the gas!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh yes! I love cabbage stir-fried with onions, garlic, olive oil and soy sauce or teriyaki and sesame oil. Or, with Polish sausage. Or with onion and pork chop. That stuff needs to come with a warning label!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    One of the true gifts of my Polish Heritgage is an appreciation of the wonders of cabbage. (Great in in homemade tomato soup).

And if you eat it cooked, the gas is much less. And if you are used to fiber, than gas is less too.

If you slowly cook in water it gets a bit sweet.
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    i also love it!!!!
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Totally love this idea! I'm going to start adding it in all my pasta dishes. Thanks!
  • cberen
    Options
    I just cooked with cabbage for the very first time today. I made a Red Cabbage Slaw and it turned out GREAT! Couldn't have been happier with it. Very healthy too -- just cabbage, red onion, grated carrot, and an apple with 1/4 balsamic vinegar, 2TB EVOO, and a little sugar. It was delicious. I will be experimenting with cabbage a bunch more now.

Thanks to the person to started this post for the great ideas for recipes and substituting cabbage for carbs!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    great ideas!! thanks for sharing them!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You may be the craziest smartest person in the world! I would never think to do that with cabbage, but i love the stuff. Week 2 is going to have a different twist now. Hopefully I don't just cave and make fried cabbage though. hmm...
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage! And the bonus? It's a negative calorie food!
  • jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the cabbage ideas. I just put it on my shopping list!:heart:
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    need a tasty veggie side dish--cabbage! I love to oven fry chicken and make coleslaw. I use bagged slaw and whirl it up in the processor and add alittle, milk, lemon juice, white vinegar,artifical sweetner and salt and peper to taste. I just make it up in the morning and it's ready.
    Boiled or steamed cabbage and carrots made with ff and low sodium chicken broth, it just adds a little something.
    Cabbage made with turkey bacon, onion, vinegar and artificial sweetner is great with pork.
    "fried cabbage" made w/ turkey bacon or turkey sausage, grated or shredded carrots and oinions are great too!