I want potato chips!

Options
Any recommendations that allow me to eat more than 6 chips that won't go crazy on calories? I LOVE chips!

Replies

• lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Pringles Light or Fat Free chips are 14 chips. 100 cal popcorn is a good substitue.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Lays baked chips are great!
  • cberen
    Options
    I completely understand the craving! I wanted to share this recipe with you --- when you roast broccoli this way it gets wonderfully brown and crispy and may satisfy that "crunchy" desire for chips minus all the starchy carbs. Hope its helpful!

Roasted Broccoli with Garlic

Several heads of broccoli
    TB or so of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    4-6 garlic cloves minced (or to taste -- I put a LOT of garlic on my broccoli)
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400. Space broccoli out on cookie/baking sheet so none are touching. Drizzle with a couple TB of EVOO and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in oven for 15-20 min, occasionally scraping them off sheet and checking to make sure not overcooking. When they are mostly crispy and slightly browned, that's when I put in the minced garlic in with the broccoli and return sheet to oven for another 5 min or so, so the garlic gets crisp and browned as well.

Easy and delicious -- Roasting is a great way to get in that good for you broccoli. Enjoy!!
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Hmmm ... someone posted a recipe for kale chips on here .. Might try to find it ... Also, you could slice sweet potatoes like chips and bake them .. may satisfy the crunchy craving!
  • skdk833
    skdk833 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would bake them myself. You can use a light amount of olive oil, a pinch of salt and or seasoning you want, and a russet potato. You would cook at 450 in the oven and or 4 minutes on the first side in the microwave, turn then another 2 minutes or so until they brown. Must brown in the microwave to crisp.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    haha I saw the topic and I was like "omg, me too!" I am really missing potato chips right now...among many other things. :( My suggestion is to buy Popchips if you can find them. I LOVE them, and in fact, when I have them, I don't miss potato chips. See, they ARE potato chips, but the brilliant thing is they are neither baked, nor fried. They are treated with heat and pressure and then they POP. They're crunchy and delicious. All of the flavors are really, really good, but they have the best BBQ flavor of any chip I've ever had! And you can have about 20 chips for like 120 calories. Seriously, if you haven't already tried them, do it! Aside from those, I'm trying out Beanitos, since they are more nutritious than potato chips but still crunchy. Also, I'm allergic to corn, and as you know almost everything has some form of corn in it, but not Beanitos. So I bought some hummus and guacamole to eat with them occasionally. I'll let you know how that goes! P.S. I don't know if you like Lay's baked chips (I personally hate them!), but Popchips are 5 million times better!
  • krizrose
    Options
    I would bake them myself. You can use a light amount of olive oil, a pinch of salt and or seasoning you want, and a russet potato. You would cook at 450 in the oven and or 4 minutes on the first side in the microwave, turn then another 2 minutes or so until they brown. Must brown in the microwave to crisp.

I agree...u can use sea salt (less sodium) and still get the same great taste! You can microwave the potatoes and not have to bake them. All you do is slice them, put them on top of a paper towel covered plate, put a LITTLE oil (olive or other) on top & a tiny bit of whatever seasoning you'd like. (I've used sea salt & chives--YUM) Then mic them for abt 5 mins. They are so good & have so much less in the way of calories!!!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I am going to try that broccoli recipe. Maybe if I bake them I can even control the amount I eat. Sometimes I want to snack for something to do, getting up and making chips will fill my boredom eating because it will give me something to do!
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well I have to chime in here. I LOVE potatoe chips too!! I just dont buy them as often cause i can ration like 18 chips or so the first day or two, then I' m like, heck I'll just finish the bag. LOL

As for the brocolli recipe, I do this with cauliflower too and add a little light parmesan cheese on top with the olive oil and garlic---hmmm yummoo I am actually craving my cauliflower and brocoli rather than potatoe chips.

I also buy the 100 cal packs. Expensive i know and if I go crazy and eat more than one bag its still only 200 or 300 cals as opposed to 1,000!! :laugh:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You must try Veggie Straws! They are soooooooooo yummy. 40 straws are 130 calories, and believe me, that is a good size portion.