33, 5'8, struggling to lose those final 10 pounds!

Options
Hi everyone

My name is Kris and I small town girl from Ontario, Canada. I am currently looking to shed those "last 10 pounds" which is a real battle. I struggle with keeping my momentum up. I can be my own worst enemy and when I start to see results, I tend to let up a little which results in gaining it back. And then it starts all over again.

I am a tall girl, 5'8" and "curvy". Some curves I like, others....not so much. Ha Ha. Although it has been a number of years since I was what you would consider over weight, I have never reached my ultimate goal. I am down about 30 pounds since my heaviest weight (late teens). I lost about 20 pounds in my early 20's but have never reached the weight goal where I truly feel good about myself. My husband and I travel to Jamaica every April and I'm determinned that when I step on that beach next year I will finally feel good about myself!

In hopes of trying some new I recently joined myfitnesspal. So far, I am really enjoying it and am impressed by all aspects of the program. Knowing how hard this journey is I would welcome any friends who are looking to coach, support and encourage one another!

Looking forward to meeting you all! Cheers to being happy and healthy everyone!

Kris

Replies

• MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    add me if you like. I'm not your height or age but I've struggled with my weight my whole life. I'm learning as I go with all of this and making my own little victories. :)
  • laceylucas86
    Options
    Ha ha I'm from Arnprior Ontario. Been using mfp for a little over a year now LOVE IT I had never been realy overweight (I thought) when I joined up but them I managed to find 38 extra lbs to loose lol I am 6 foot 2, 150 lbs now (started at 192) mfp is great, keeps you in check and mindful of what you are eating. I can't imagine not using mfp. the last 10 lbs are the hardest! but you can do it! best wishes!
  • donna123smile
    donna123smile Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Me too girl! It seems like I'm maintaining in the 160's but ultimately want to get to 150...It's been a 2 year long journey so slow and steady is the way to go! I'm from Hamilton :) Feel free to add me!
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose that 10lbs its going to be all about strength training.. Push ups, planks, weights...
    Could not read your diary so not sure what exercise you like or do.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Krish,

Those "Last 10" are typically no harder than the first 10. There are several reasons fat loss can and will slow down. Some of those are within your ability to control and others are not.

Usually, the biggest road block is yourself. Months on end of restricted calorie intake can become drudgery, especially for someone who is already fairly fit and used to eating what they want. Many people quit before they reach their goals, or start cheating themselves by cutting corners. All of those small "treats" that you justify can seriously hamper your progress.

On top of that, it is natural for your body to plateau in fat loss. This is typically due to a combination of bio-chemical factors centered around hormone levels and thyroid function. Prolonged decreased insulin levels due to restricted diet and daily exercise, higher cortisol levels due to the stress of maintaining a strict program on top of life, and your bodies decreased metabolism due to acclimation to exercise can all contribute to a plateau.

The solution is to take a break from your regimen. Over the course of a couple of weeks, work your caloric intake up by increasing carbs and fat by 100-150 calories per week until you reach maintenance level. Consider taking it even further and perhaps building some muscle for a few weeks. This will balance out your hormone levels and allow your body to reset. But you MUST do this in a HEALTHY and CONTROLLED manner, or you will undo all the fat loss you have already achieved.

After a couple of weeks to a couple of months, your hormone levels will be ideal for fat loss. When you begin again, those pounds will melt off like you remember them doing in the beginning.
  • internicola
    internicola Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Kris,

My name is Joe and, like yourself, have been struggling to lose and keep off those last few pounds towards my goal. I was never badly overweight, but wasn't comfortable in my 164 pound girth and began a walking regimen which made a huge difference. With this and FitnessPal, I managed to lose about 13 lbs. 3 years ago. I'm only 5' 6" and small-framed for a man and ideally, I'm supposed to be about 145 lbs. (which is my goal). I'm stuck at 150 and cannot seem to get down to that last goal. I flirted with it last year when I got down to 146, but was never able to go the extra. Many who will read this will say, "Yeah, cry me a river" considering how many amazing stories I read from people who've lost close to 50 - 100 lbs or more and struggled all the way doing it.

My doctor has told me not to sweat it because perhaps that is the level my body feels comfortable with and anything short of starving myself (which is never good) those last few pounds will probably always be a problem. My problem is that I like to snack throughout the day (which is supposed to be good to speed up your metabolism), but it is what I snack on which is the problem. I have an addiction to peanut butter and granola bars, which may be good for protein, but the sugar causes the problem as far as I can see. There are so many caramel rice cakes and melba toast I can stand in a day.

Anyway, as long as you feel good and you're not binge eating or eating too late into the evening, just keep plugging away. Perhaps if you try small snacks throughout the day and increase your water intake, you may slowly see some progress. At least you've had success getting to where you are. Good luck with the homestretch. :happy:
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me not to sweat it because perhaps that is the level my body feels comfortable with and anything short of starving myself (which is never good) those last few pounds will probably always be a problem. My problem is that I like to snack throughout the day (which is supposed to be good to speed up your metabolism), but it is what I snack on which is the problem. I have an addiction to peanut butter and granola bars, which may be good for protein, but the sugar causes the problem as far as I can see. There are so many caramel rice cakes and melba toast I can stand in a day.

No offense brother, but your doctor is not a nutritionist or bio-chemist and you should never ask a general practitioner about diet and fitness specific questions. They simply are no more educated than you or I on the subject.

Eating small meals does not increase your metabolism. This is a fitness myth that has become a popular trend.

Your body does not have a "comfort zone". Only you do. Your body has hormone balances that are affected by prolonged diet regimen. Your comfort zone is called a plateau, and is something you can overcome by cycling your diet.

I suggest to you, and to all reading this that you DO YOUR RESEARCH. Mens Health, Shape Magazine and these forums do not count. Go to ISSN or JISSN or any other reputable source and read the lab studies and body composition tests in a controlled and scientific environment done by non-profits by professionals. Read them in their entirety and consider the context. Even magazines and supplement companies will cite these studies, but only in part in order to get you to buy their product. This can be very misleading.

There is no substitute for educating yourself straight from the source. This goes for life in general.
  • DiamondL88
    Options
    Check out Fat Smack they helped me out using the ketogenic diet need help finding the website just ask them on their fan page
    http://www.facebook.com/LoseWeightBeHappy88
  • internicola
    internicola Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your insight. I really appreciate it.

God Bless.

Joe
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,004 Member
    Options
    It is hard but just dont give up try to change things up from time to time so your bidy dont get too use to what you are doing. You can di it and mfp is a great program