Buffalo

Options
fitmom07
fitmom07 Posts: 215 Member
I am making homemade buffalo burgers from a buffalo my brother shot. I have no idea how to figure out the nutritional value! Any ideas?!

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I shot one last December, I've been using one I found in the search Tender Bison - Ground Bison. That one a pound is 800 cal, 44g fat, 96g protein, 0g carb
  • fitmom07
    Options
    Thanks. What about deer meat? My family hunts and so we always have wild meat! lol
  • kuntry_navy
    Options
    i haven't had much of a problem finding deer. they have a ton of different things if you search when you're adding food. they have everything from birds to bucks :)
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dont laugh but I did not know buffalos still existed. I thought they were extinct or at least a protected species
  • fitmom07
    Options
    Lol sorry kitty vicious but are you serious? We eat buffalo, venison, and wild boar seem to be the big ones in my family. The best burger I had was beef mixed with a little pork and bear!
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Never tried buffalo meat! I am so interested.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks. What about deer meat? My family hunts and so we always have wild meat! lol

We eat a lot of venison as well, but I haven't had any problems finding that in the foods list when I complete my food diary.
  • kayemmgee5
    kayemmgee5 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of wild game, too! Some is already entered in MFP you can type it in and see what pops up! Bison burgers are delicious. We're having venison at my house tonight! I'm glad to see another female cooking wild game and enjoying it. Nothing like knowing exactly where your food came from!
  • missdamman
    Options
    what kind of things do you do with your venison? definitely a hunter, just don't cook it very much except loin and jerky!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Costco had packaged ground buffalo meat when I was there last weekend, to my surprise. I almost bought it, but the gound beef was half the price.
  • kuntry_navy
    Options
    what kind of things do you do with your venison? definitely a hunter, just don't cook it very much except loin and jerky!

my favorite is pan sausage. most meat lockers will do this. or if you do it yourself grind venison and mix with ground pork(something with fat) and spices, probably the least healthy way to have it, but it's awesome!
  • fitmom07
    Options

my favorite is pan sausage. most meat lockers will do this. or if you do it yourself grind venison and mix with ground pork(something with fat) and spices, probably the least healthy way to have it, but it's awesome!

Good to know. I grilled my buffalo burgers with a little worchestire sauce and steak seasoning I had. It was awesome!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Dont laugh but I did not know buffalos still existed. I thought they were extinct or at least a protected species

Tons of Bison in Yellowstone National park. They are HUGE animals.