Anyone put weight on from wine?

Options

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Plain and simple. I workout FOR wine! If I don't feel like working out, no wine. It's a great motivator and I think I have done pretty good so far :happy:
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Me. I gained most of my weight from alcohol.
  • lorettasnewbeginning
    Options
    No, but I've whined about putting on weight! HeHe!
  • kyliep99
    kyliep99 Posts: 15
    Options
    I was putting weight on a few years back when I was drinking more, but I don't think it was just the alcohol calories, also the food I was eating, craving greasy food with drinks and the next day. I still have wine a few times a week but I try to earn calories at the gym first and eat sensibly, it seems to work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Weight gain comes from surplus and if wine is what puts one over, then yes.

Also alcohol inhibits fat burning since alcohol would first have to be burned off before fat is used. Alcohol is used until it's burned off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is all about measuring and tracking the calories, as with any other thing you put in your body. I try to stick to 4 oz of wine and I mix it with 8oz seltzer and when I am feeling fancy, a slice of lime. I nurse that throughout the evening. Sometimes I don't even finish it.

Studies have shown that women that drink moderately can be thinner than those that don't because they cut throughout the day to compensate for that drink.

One should also need to be careful to not have trigger food around. I've also read that you should drink after dinner and not before
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I just did the math and have 1741 calories in only alcohol this week.

Heh - I did that in one NIGHT a couple months ago. Alcohol calories add up FAST! Surprisingly, I gained a couple of pounds that week. haha (it WAS vacation at least...) Thankfully those nights are few and far between.

Wow! In 1 night!?! I couldn't do it. I'd be in the hospital!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    510 calories for skinny girl vodka - right (I assume there is no skinny girl wine - that would be just wrong). I will have to try it!

There is indeed skinny girl wine. It's about 100 calories per glass. Most other table wines are 110-120 per glass. Doesn't seem worth giving up my favorite wines for that small of a difference.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My worst problem is that once Ihave one glass of wine (or beer), I feel more relaxed and it's easier to have another....and then a salty snack to go with. LOL Guess who's going to visit a winery on Friday? This girl Who's eager to lose weight to go on a trip to Napa next July? Yep <
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    For me it's not what I eat or drink...it's going over my BMR that will make me gain :)
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    DeadVim dutifully checking into an alcohol thread ... Red wine specific too, even better :)

Do I cut down? No, I drink an unGodly amount on a disGUSTingly regular basis.

Drinking it right now in fact.

Empty calories rock.

Almost at goal, looking like a lean mean drinking machine, Jeez I am awesome.

Really, you should see me.

Modest too.

Chin chin :)

Ha ha! LOL, love it.

I drink it like a fish, too
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me it's not what I eat or drink...it's going over my BMR that will make me gain :)

I think you meant TDEE.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I think you meant TDEE.

Or the poster spends an immense amount of time on MFP . . . fingers typing away, feel the burn!
  • AshleyKait
    Options
    Oh yeah. I was self-medicating a stressful work situation with too much pinot grigio. Worse than all the empty wine calories I was taking in was the horrible food choices I was making thanks to lowered inhibitions. When I was tipsy enough, I was like "screw making dinner! I'll just order take out!" Most nights it was something deep fried and accompanied by a boat load of onion rings or french fries. No surprise, I packed on a ton of pounds and I'm still working to lose those. I'll have a glass of wine from time to time, but it's not like the old days.
  • tracimcp
    tracimcp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YES!! I have stopped drinking it as that is where I believe my tummy and extra weight has came from. I do drink a few glasses on Saturday nights though.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love wine, but 2-3 glasses a night would have me wasted every night of the week. Plus wine is not really low calorie, although I would think it's better than mixed drinks. I would think you should handle wine like any other treat: in moderation.
  • WineFoodPhoto
    WineFoodPhoto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Of course my first post here is in the wine discussion.

If I get lazy and get carried away with the wine drinking, I gain weight. I'm trying to keep it just to the weekends for now.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    One glass of wine a week? That's a big steaming pile of nope for this girl. Two to three glasses a night, nearly every night. I eat less so the wine calories fit. And what else fits? My skinny pants, because I've lost weight doing just that.

I still think that most people can eat or drink what they want as long as the calories in versus the calories out are in the right proportion for whatever they want to do, be that lose, gain or maintain.

Cheers!!!
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was pretty thin for my shape. I was always pretty muscular until I hit 21 then it all went downhill. :( I'm 32 now and trying to undo the last 11 years.
  • mari213
    mari213 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I drink my wine only on the weekends.. Saturday & Sunday. I work out to have those extra calories and less guilt! Moderation is the key & fitting it in to your plan!