21 & need some inspiration

Options
I'm 21 from the UK and have just finished a 3 year degree in English Lit.

I've been trying to loose weight on and off for years however after uni I have found myself with 3 stone to loose. Too many heavy nights drinking and rubbish food. Working in a bar also never helped as I found myself eating at ridiculous times, my boyfriend also seems to have an amazing metabolism so we eat meals together which aren't healthy nor unhealthy yet he seems to put nothing on so I have settled into a routine which needs to change.

Now I have moved back home and as of September I will be working in a school training to be a teacher so I really feel now that I should sort out my weight.

I have bought a bike and I am going out cycling, I am also using the Wii for Just Dance, Zumba and Wii fit so I am gradually incorporating for exercise into my routine with a view to joining a gym when I find one which suits me.

I find that I start well but I lack motivation and tail off, would really help finding people in similar situations to help keep my motivation going?

Replies

• Limpinggnome
    Options
    Hi there!

This is my first time looking through the forums and I'm glad to find another university student (or at least a recent one)!
    I'm 22 and am in my last year of engineering school in the US so I can definitely relate to too many nights drinking and rubbish food; stress eating all the way for me. I'm looking to really slim down, I have probably 70 pounds to lose.

I started biking to work/ school consistently about two months ago and I think it's really helping! Do you think that the Zumba game is any good? I've heard some mixed reviews on it and have been hesitant to purchase it, but it sounds like something I would enjoy.

And I really have to agree with you, keeping up the exercise is always the hardest part when your motivation starts to slack. My boyfriend has been really good at keeping me accountable for my work outs. We started jogging in the mornings last week (I really hate jogging, but it seems to help my weight loss) and if I know that he'll be up and waiting for me, I won't be rude and ditch him. It's hard to find a work out buddy that will stay motivated especially when you aren't. I figured some online support would be a benefit if the boy's motivation ebbs, so here I am! Maybe I'll be motivated if I can help motivate someone too.

I think losing weight is one of the hardest life style changes you can make so, if you are feeling unmotivated for a particular workout, try going for a short 15-20 minute walk and you can still feel like you're making progress!

Congrats on finishing up your degree and I hope your teacher training gets off to a great start!
  • HLSalter
    HLSalter Posts: 260
    Options
    Hi I'm 21 and from the UK as well!

I'm in a slightly different situation in that I'm trying to lose the weight I put on after I had my son. Feel free to add me though. :)
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I found that the simpler the routine, the easier it is to stick with it. All I do is walk for exercise. My goal is 15,000 steps/day.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    USA here... sometimes, the only motivation I can dredge up is to persist in my priorities to be 1) be healthier and 2) lose weight.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." -- Calvin Coolidge

When I look back and see that I have "pressed onward", I find I'm a lot stronger and better equipped to deal with the times when motivations flag.
  • Mikej77
    Mikej77 Posts: 112
    Options
    Motivation and will power is the hardest thing I have found over my life time to aqquire. Specially in our world today of instant gratification, with movies on demand 20 minute take out and comfy couches. When I was your age, I actively skateboarded almost daily and was just getting into video games as my son was just born. That was also when I just started a pretty active job in construction with the phone company. That was 15 years and almost 30+ lbs ago. I could eat just about anything and have no stomach issues, I had never experienced heart burn or indigestion. I was not really fit as far as muscle tone, but I was prob in the area of 15% body fat. Then over the next few years I played more video games so I would be around for my son, and my job changed to a desk job. I then got married, and was eating crap food while at work. At your age, I would honestly have to say THE TIME IS NOW!!

If I knew then what I know now, I would be so happy with my fitness level and body. I would have saved thousands of dollars on ciggerettes and fast food, but more importantly I would have influenced my son to be more active at his age. I suggest taking it slow. I am not a gym person because I like being home and with my wife and dog. The wife hates the gym and likes being outside. So if you are willing to do the gym more power to you. If you are like me and prefer to be in a comfortable enviroment and outside then I would say just take it slow. Do not go crazy at the start! Try and watch what you eat and record it on this site or another calorie counter application. Go for short bike rides at first and use a GPS tracker like Endomondo so you can see your progress. HAVE FUN WITH IT!! Set low goals and I recomend staying off the scale for atleast a week or more. Get a good nights sleep and never be affriad to post on these sites. I can't speak for everyone on this site but I myself and a few of my friends seem to be super active and extremely supportive!!

Good luck take it one day at a time one step at a time one pound/stone/inch or one calorie at a time!
  • Chelsey2016
    Chelsey2016 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am a 21 year old college student from the U.S. and I am struggling to get off my last fifteen pounds. Please feel free to add me. :)
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 25, from London and I'm also a teacher. Likewise after finishing my Masters degree last year I found I'd gone up from my ideal 9 stone (ish) up to nearly 12 stone during six years of studying. I'm only 5" tall so that was a shock. I also have a boyfriend who can eat a lot and it not seem to affect his figure. Although we always eat healthily I don't have much idea what a portion size should look like, which is why I find MFP so helpful.

Sounds like you're on the right track and determined now. This site really DOES work, if you're patient and stick with it and use it properly. There are tons of people on the forum who are willing to be friends and I never cease to be amazed at their generosity and expertise with advice on exercise and nutrition.

I've been here since April and have lost nearly a stone. In that time my whole approach to eating and exercise has changed, and I now adore going to the gym (having never been in one before in my life), love running and have signed up to a 10K in November, and my stomach is toned and flat. I'm not yet where I want to be but for the first time have belief that I WILL get there.

Do add me as a friend if you'd like, and best of luck! You're in the right place here and in your mind now. You can do it!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    22 year old uni student from Canada here! Add me if you wish!

I've been telling myself for years now that I need to get into shape - since I started uni 4 years ago actually - and I've only just been serious about it over the last few weeks. Sometimes it takes a while for us to get into it, but when you know you're ready, you'll do it!