Scheduling Question

Options
So normally I work out right after work. I pick up my kid, and my gym is about a block away (which provides daycare). I can workout and then go home. However, I'm starting to see a chiropractor and physical therapist multiple times a week which I can only really see after work. So there goes my scheduled workouts.

I thought about starting to go in the mornings before work. But the commute to my gym is roundtrip 30 mins so I would have to get up at 4:30, out the door by 4:45-5, drive - workout - drive and be home by 6:15 to get myself and my kid ready for the day. Leave the house by 7:15 to drop off at daycare and be at work by 8am. Does this sound totally crazy? It also relies on my hubby sleeping in and not having to go to work early (which happens sometimes) to stay with sleeping baby until I get home.

I looked into gyms closer but they are more expensive and don't provide daycare (which if i do workout after work, i need to have). I also love the people at my gym and have become really close friends with some of the staff there.

My husband also works late and getting up early meanings I go to bed early and wouldn't see him as much. And I barely get to see him as is.

Also thought about investing in a home gym so that we could both workout in the morning without having to commute or worry about babysitting. But I don't know the first place to start with that. And it might get pricey.

Any suggestions would be really helpful!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sacrifice something

change your workouts

if your PT stuff isn't long term- deal with not seeing hubby as much

work out less

stop working out
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the gym entirely on physical therapy days. The early morning thing a couple of days a week might be tolerable that way.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I have a similar scheduling problem.

I just bought a sandbag online, because it was under $40. Also pull up bar. It's not really heavy, but I can at least get something in.

I still go to the gym 2 days a week. But will try to supplement body-weight and sandbag and running with the jogging stroller on the other days.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Do a workout DVD at home before work such as Jillian Michael's 30 day shred or Insanity. That will save you time in the morning because you won't have to commute to the gym. Then go back to the gym once you are finished with your physical therapy (meaning when you are totally done, not just done for the day).
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'd be willing to go light or skip exercise on therapy days.

Home gyms will depend on what you want to do. I built mine when I realized that my main reason for not working out was the gym being crowded when I was free to work out. My gym basically consists of a collapsable pull-up bar that can also be used for modified push-ups and dips, a treadmill, and a few weights I use to augment my bodyweight workout.

It works for me because I chose to focus on bodyweight exercises in order to keep my equipment needs to a bare minimum. The treadmill is there for when I can't run on a trail or don't want to fry in the Florida sun. However, if you or your husband needs a full set of dumbbells or barbells for your workouts, you're going to have more equipment needs.
  • mikenelson20
    mikenelson20 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Workout at home in the mourning. Tons of free videos on Youtube. Team Beachbody has great videos (P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Insanity, etc.). There is a new one out called T25. No experience with it, but it is marketed for the time sensitive people. Some of these require only a water bottle. Some, a pull up bar and some resistance bands or dumbbells. This way you wake up at 5ish, take 10-15 min to get organized and then work out till 6:15ish. Time was the biggest reasons why I quit going to the gym. It was a 2 hour process by the time I left the house, workout, shower and get back home. It is so much easier, cheaper and probably getting better results.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Two questions: How early do they offer daycare, and do they have showers at the gym? If so, can you go before work, take your shower there, then drop the baby off at daycare? It would save you from the round trip, and you would be able to sleep in a little later. But that all depends on the gym. If they can't accomodate you shower or daycare wise, can you maybe just do an exercise video at home on those days?
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Daycare at the gym starts at 8am so no can do.

The reason I really wanted to stay at the gym is because my workouts consist of heavy lifting. I know some body weight exercises can do great things but I saw some great results with lifting and I really wanted to get those again. I have a few workout DVDs at home that I could do in the mornings. But my main concern is they won't get me the results that heavy lifting does. And I really do enjoy it.

But if I really want to be able to fit a workout in, I guess something's got to give. I guess I'll look into DVDs with body weight exercises.