Those who had only 20-25 lbs to lose in total...

Options
How long did it take you? What did you do?

Replies

• lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi

I only had 27ish pounds to lose and I'm nearly there, 22 lbs down. I have been doing the 5:2 diet since March 10th, this includes 2 holidays where I haven't watched what I was eating at all. It averages out at about one pound a week and because I don't feel that I'm dieting I am fine with that. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 diet?
  • jelly5454
    jelly5454 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, but I just run 4 times a week and monitor my intake, I've lost 7lbs in three weeks which seems right. I have another 14ish Ibs to lose before I hit my goal. What are your aims?
  • ambickford
    Options
    I lost over 100lbs. in the 2009-2010. I pretty much maintained and gained some here and there between 2010 to January of this year. I only have 25 more to lose, and I'm finding it is a lot more difficult to lose these last 25 than it ever was to lose the 100lbs. I weighed in at 170 in January, and I am sitting at 152 right now. I lost 12lbs. with Insanity (was down to 158 in March), and got down to 152 with BodyBeast and cardio programs. Weighed in about 152 in June, and I move up and down constantly. My goal range is 135-151 for a large framed woman of my size (5'4")...so I'm really close, but I'd like to weigh closer to 140 than what I am at right now. I still have a significant amount of body fat to lose (which is why I lift b/c of the whole muscle vs. fat thing).
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    5:2 is where you fast for 2 days a week. It is called Intermittent Fasting and has many variations.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Did a biggest loser contest at work.. Went from 188-166 in 10 weeks.. so about 2lbs a week.. Did tons
    of cardio.. counted pts with a ww calculator my wife had..Maintained for 3 years doing lots of strength training
    with some spin classes each week. At 56 years old I am in far better shape than in my 40s.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Can i be in for having that much left to lose?

I plan on increasing my cardio and changing up WHAT i eat, as well as my portions.. not so much my calories. My calories right now are around 1500 and that works for me being 5'5" (and a half!) and 159 pounds (I started here at MFP at 246 pounds on June 28th 2012)

My calories have jumped around from 1200 to 1600 to 1500 to 1300 to 1500, depending on when i was exercising. MAINLY, i controlled my calories, MAJORLY increased my water intake, cardio was a big helper when i was having a plateau and when i just needed some extra energy. Also when I crave something.. I have it! If not, i tend to binge! I also have 2 pieces of chocolate every night, because i love me some chocolate! LOL! The best i have found for the calories are either these: (one bar) http://www.skinnycow.com/products/detail.aspx?id=31 or these: (i have two of these in milk chocolate!) http://www.hersheys.com/simplepleasures/products.aspx

I also keep bags of apples, lots of fresh veggies & other healthy snacks available for "munchies"

I hope these things help you also, and I BELIEVE IN YOU!!! Good luck! We got this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    What is the 5:2 diet?

the best way to gain your weight back as soon as you stop doing it... Please remember.. DIETS only work while you DIET. When you stop, you gain your weight back. The ONLY proven method is counting your calories and learning the lifestyle change. Its hard work, but anything that WORKS and is WORTH IT... is. If you want to lose weight for a lifetime, put the work in. ITS WORTH IT.

Listen to these other people who have lost LOTS and MAINTAINED! Their stories will ALL be similar. Caloried were counted, exercised was done. Has kept the weight off for X amount of time. THAT is what works!! :flowerforyou:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I lost 26 pounds. I gave myself 1450 calories a day and joined a gym. It took me about nine months with the lower calories and combining strength training plus cardio. I lost about a half pound a week and sometimes I plateaued. I wasn't worried about how long it took, just that I was either staying the same (not my favorite) or going down. I filled out my diary every day, made MFP friends who were helpful.

I may stop counting eventually, but not right now. I had a couple of crises that came up and I tend to under eat in crisis - not good.

I'm pretty good right now.
  • mommy3457
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, but I just run 4 times a week and monitor my intake, I've lost 7lbs in three weeks which seems right. I have another 14ish Ibs to lose before I hit my goal. What are your aims?

I'm 5'1". I'm 145 lbs. right now. I'd like to get to 125 lbs.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 lbs in the last 4 months (34 lbs total in the past 2 years).

What i did:

1. Track calories in and calories out (MFP and Fitbit). I have a food scale and i use it.
    2. Hydraulic resistance training 3 times a week (Curves).
    3. Intermittent fasting (8 hr feeding window) and also make sure i get a solid 8 hrs of sleep every night in a fasted state.
    4. Gluten-free because of my hypothyroidism and to improve iron absorption (chronic anemia from blood loss).

That's basically it. No magic tricks, i just had to put the effort in. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs from the end of April until the middle of September a few years ago by really watching my calories and doing cardio plus strength training. It's much easier now to keep it off than it was to lose it!
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As one who has tried every diet under the sun and got all the weight back plus some, I will now tell you about my journey on the 5:2 diet. It is very, very popular in the UK at the moment since Dr Michael Mosley made a TV programme about it, which was aired last August. You do not actually fast for 2 days as another person has posted, you restrict your calories to 500 a day for a woman and 600 for a man, then on the other 5 days you eat normally without bingeing on crap food. It is the only diet that I have ever been able to maintain and it works - for me and a whole lot of other people. On your so called "fast days" you know you will be eating normally tomorrow. There are two 5:2 diet groups on here that can give support and also if you Google Michael Mosley Fast Diet you will find all you need to know.

I have been on it since March 2013 and have lost 22lb averaging out at about a pound a week, this includes two holidays where I did not restrict my calories at all.
  • mommy3457
    Options
    I have a large frame too if that means anything and I am muscular naturally. I just have some fat to lose. I just started really getting into exercise. I'm doing cardio and some strength training. I know my tdee. I just really hope it will all pay off.