Insanity & Running

Options
I'm starting Insanity today and was wondering how to fit in a running routine with it, without over doing it. Can anybody help me out? How did you combine the two? Thanks!

Replies

• Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the program exactly but I would do Insanity 3-4 days and run two days. It's exercise, it worked for me. I wasn't training for a marathon or anything so if you are then I would do less Insanity and run more often.
  • rblaz007
    Options
    I would say that the answer to your question largely depends on your goals.

I have done a routine where I do a P90X + Insanity + Running hybrid. It generally worked like this: Monday: Chest/Back (morning) + 4-5 miles (afternoon); Tuesday: Insanity Workout (take your pick); Wednesday: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps (morning) + 4-5 miles (afternoon); Thursday: Rest day (stretching and a 2 mile jog or easy Yoga); Friday: Insanity Workout (again take your pick); Saturday: Long run 6-10 miles or alternate KenpoX + Insanity Core workout (I alternated week to week); Sunday: rest - warm up and stretch only.

From week to week I would alternate Chest/Back and Shoulders/Arms with Chest/Shoulders and Back/Biceps respectively. That routine was fairly intense and it worked to tone muscle - but I lost some muscle mass, probably because I didn't balance the nutrition properly. The trick to making it work is proper nutrition including a lot of protein, carbs, and fat (in a 40/40/20 balance). Making sure to get adequate food to fuel the workouts. I learned a good lesson from that experience and will definitely eat a lot more food (nutritious balanced foods) the next time I do it.

For a scaled back version of that workout - I would alternate Insanity with running days and just be sure to give yourself 2 days of rest during the week, especially if you do longer, faster runs (and depending on your running experience - if you are an intermediate or better runner, you can give yourself less rest days).

Returning back to goals: tailor your workout to what you want by changing the balance of aerobic and anaerobic exercises. Tailor your diet as well (e.g. for fat loss, consume less carbs and more proteins up front [40-30-30] and then get back to that 40-40-20 balance over time).
  • novarugger10
    novarugger10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I liked the way you guys tailored insanity so that you weren't doing it the whole 6 days a week like they have it set up. Don't think I'd be up for that either lol. I'm thinking of doing M/W/F Insanity and T/Th/Sat Running with T/Th switching speed/endurance workouts and Sat being a very light jog and extra stretching for recovery. After a week or so and depending on how strong I feel from the Insanity, I might throw in some lifting twice a week to get that extra bit of strength.

Thanks again!
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I did insanity as fasted cardio like 3 days a week when I did it and did my usual workout in the afternoons. It worked, but I just couldn't get into running in place and jumping on my carpet. plus putting my nose in my carpet was a real turn off. lol
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am starting insanity tomorrow. I am looking for someone to do it with to keep me accountable, also to motivate me because I am lazy as balls.
  • Gallen88
    Gallen88 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was already running constantly everyday but i needed to do something really extreme to push my body out of the plateau it had hit so i started doing insanity. Let me tell you, it was NOT easy! I would run 4 miles in the morning and then when i got off work at night i would do insanity. I managed to keep this up for 3 weeks and i was eating right. By the time i was done, my body had gone from 175 to 165 but i looked MUCH MUCH smaller than i actually was. My family kept insisting that i'd lose 20lbs when really i had only lost 10. My guess is that the majority of it was a massive amount of fat.

Good luck with that tho! Your making a great decision. It helped my endurance skyrocket!