Running or general

Options
I am going to start a good cardio routine maybe work my way up to running, it will be most likely first thing in the morning. Is it better to eat first if so any suggestions on what might be a good thing to eat before I start? Thanks!:wink:

Any help would be great.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I like to run fasted or I tend to get nauseated. Other people can eat a meal and head out with no issues. There is no right way to do it.
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks not getting to much feed back on this question. Think I am on my own.:frown:
  • mander8282
    mander8282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When i first started, i always tried to eat something first because i read so much that if you don't eat first, you won't have enough energy to keep going. I always ate something small.....maybe half a banana....or a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter on it. More recently though, i started just getting dressed and going out. My belly sometimes feels hungry mid run....but it makes breakfast so much yummier when I do eat it :) I don't get nauseated either on an empty stomach when i get overheated and sweaty.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise on an empty stomach, have a banana or something like that an hour before your workout. I can't eat anything straight away but your body does need fuel if you are going to be working out. Look at good carbs to snack on and drink plenty of water - good luck :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You should try both ways and see which works best for you.

I can run just fine before eating, but make sure you stay hydrated.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would suggest waking up and drinking 2 glasses of water right away. Then see how you feel. Maybe have a protein drink to start. I personally like eating between lunch and supper.

A great running program is C25K, and you can download apps to help you. I started with a pre-C25K as I was really out of shape. I am on week 3 of my running schedule, but have made it from 30 sec of running/2 min of walking to now starting the actual c25k program of 1 min of running followed by 1.5 min of walking.

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on how you feel so try a few different ways and see what works best. Some people need to eat or their blood sugar drops and they can't make it through but some people exercise fasted with no issues at all. I've done the whole range depending on my energy level and hunger. Just be conscious of what your body is telling you and be careful.

Also, I've noticed that hydration is just as important as eating - if you're dehydrated it can adversely affect your energy level.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I can't run right after eating or I just feel heavy. I try to have a snack like a banana or a couple eggs an hour or so before I run. Definately hydrate first too. Find what works for you :)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    What works for you I run at my lunch hour so I eat about 1 hour before becouse I am hungry. When I run first thing in the morning I do not eat becouse I am not hungry.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I try to at a minimum eat 1 ClifShot Gel-I like Razz flavor-(or a Honey Stinger waffle) before running to prevent muscle cramping in my calves and to get a tiny calorie boost. Also, sometimes a cup o' joe (coffee) if I have time, otherwise water.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I like to run fasted or I tend to get nauseated. Other people can eat a meal and head out with no issues. There is no right way to do it.
    This is the same for me. People always say it's not good to go out on an empty stomach, but mine seriously has to be empty or I'll feel/get sick. I usually run first thing in the morning to avoid this, but if I go after work, I can't have any food within about 2.5-3 hours before my run or any water within about 1.5 hours before my run. Keep in mind though, this is what works for me, not necessarily what's best for anyone else. The best is to find what works for you.

Try something small like a banana about an hour before working out. If you can do it, then try to make sure you do it every time. If it makes you sick, try going out first and eating after.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with liquids before running. I tend to get nauseous or cramps when I eat before I go. Last time I ate a banana before running (with 10 ounces of water and a half hour wait) I felt like I was carrying a rock in my stomach. I've tried waiting an hour, but so far the only time I've had good results eating before running is something really light more than 2 hours before a run.

Don't give up if you don't get a bunch of answers on a thread within a few minutes--it's a forum, not a chat room. People peruse on their lunch breaks and so forth.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You can try it both ways, but I would generally avoid high fat or foods with a high fiber content before you run.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I am going to start a good cardio routine maybe work my way up to running, it will be most likely first thing in the morning. Is it better to eat first if so any suggestions on what might be a good thing to eat before I start? Thanks!:wink:

Any help would be great.

I usually only have a banana (sometimes an orange) 45 minutes before I run, it seems to be enough (for me anyway) and then I have lunch or dinner to look forward to, to eat after training.

I have run on an empty stomach many times too, all was okay, all depends on how far you are running though.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    I hardly ever run in the morning but when I do, I do so on an empty stomach. Otherwise, I'll cramp up. In the evenings, I will usually wait about and hour after eating my last meal.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I run very early in the morning, so I have a little water and that's it
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are well hydrated the night before. I have run on an empty stomach many times because I don't have the luxury of getting up an hour before my run and having breakfast (which would be 3:30 a.m.) and still making it to work. I do however, prefer to have a few sips of chocolate or skim milk (1/4-1/2 cup or so), or a half of stick of string cheese or maybe a few nuts. Just even a "little" something makes a huge difference for me and keeps me from getting dizzy.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I always find I'm hungrier after a run so I always eat a snack.. then wait a bit.. go run and eat afterwards.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Typically I'm out the door first thing in the morning and I prefer to run anything less than 90 minutes fasted. Eating right before a run (or even an hour or so before) has little impact on the fuel that's actually available for the run, especially if you're running half an hour to an hour. Like hydration it's what you eat the day before that has the bigger impact.
  • Ericav05
    Ericav05 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'll usually have half a banana for anything over five miles and I run just fine!