GAINED weight - HOW?

Options
This is the first week in almost 60 days that I have gained weight. This past week I burned more calories than any other week, I ate every day under my calorie goals. What the hell. I was cruising to 15 pounds loss and this set back has me pissed off. I worked so hard this week and I feel like it was for nothing.

I was under 250 pounds last week and thrilled to be there - this week 250.2 - come on what gives. I walked or ran 2-4 miles every day. I worked out with my trainer doing strength training 2x this week. I did some situps at home. I ate right. There were very few things that went past my lips that were not good for me. A vanilla pudding, a 2 cookie treat one day. But even on those days I was under my calorie goal.

What's a girl got to do? I'm so frustrated.

Replies

• jrlaw22
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Your muscles are expanding so they're heavier. You're doing great! If you're under your calories, your body may be storing food. Good luck!!
  • cchelll
    cchelll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle!! Thats a good thing. The other thing I have noticed is I tend to gain a little water weight once a month around that time of the month. Don't get discourraged. You will have this happen. If you are eating good next time maybe you won't loose just 1# maybe you will loose 2 or 3. You are doing great keep on going.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Looking over your food diary looks like you are not getting enough water also, looks like you mainly stay in the 4 to 6 glasses a day range. I would suggest increasing the water to the minimum of 8 but try for 10 to 12 glasses a day. Don't get frustrated though some times the body does strange things, this is not a set back but most likely a rebuilding time since you have been working out more.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How do you look?[skin,etc.] Don't fixate on the scale,how do your clothes fit,comments from others? Scale can be a real stressful and not the first result berometer when achieving results. Other factors, water retention,same scale used?? Look for the final goal as your guide.Keep up the good work! Relax and enjoy the journey!!:wink:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Its probably your nurtitio and water. Just looking at what your eating. I see were there could be better choices. I always tell my clients avoid exra sugars, artifical sweetners, to much salt/sodium. Also Do Not eat anything with
    “High Fructose Corn Syrup”
    “Bleached or enriched flour”
    “Simple Sugars”
    “Partially hydrogenated
    “Watch the salt/sodium
    "no artifical sweetners
    THese are bad for your body POSION!
    Read YOUR LABLES ”

Exmp. Good Breakfest Breakfast
    1cup Cooked Oatmeal or Oat bran, 1 tbsp ground flaxseed,1 whole egg, 2 egg white
    ½ cup blueberries(fresh or frozen),

Snacks Med Apple or 1 large serving of fruit(unpeeled) and 20 Raw Almonds, or Yogurt (Greek Preferred) or ( dannon lite & fit or Yoplait Lite!) with ¼ Kashi granola or an organic granola or 1 serving of fruit

Lunch
    1/2 to whole sandwich with
    4oz of meat(turkey,chicken, tuna, ham) (lunch meat is ok with less processing to it)
    1 slices 100% WHOLE GRAIN bread (80-110 cal. A slice) Prefer Ezekiel Bread
    2 servings RAW veggies
    ½ cup low fat cottage cheese or 1 low fat mozzarella string cheese
    12 -16 oz water

Dinner
    6 oz. lean meat ( chicken, fish, pork, beef, turkey ect)
    1-2 servings fresh or frozen steamed veggies( broccoli, green beans, peas, squash ect) NO CORN!!!!!!!
    4 oz Red Skin Potato
    12 -16 oz water
    Example of a great way to get it started. You can mix things up. Up the best way to eat is not out of a box or can.Foods Like that will cause other problems. Eating this way you will get more food more nutrition and feel better. These are a small example. So you can adjust amounts and things.

Hope this helps
  • stacy2677
    Options
    One thing could be that you are gaining mucsle, but the other thing could be that you are not eating enough. That could happen. Dont let it discourage you. Keep up the good work.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    When you say you are under your calorie goal? Is your calorie goal set at 1200, and you are going under that? because thats not too good a thing for most people.

Also, with the amount of workout it seems, you do, you should increase your water intake.

Also, you are probably gaining muscle, which will make you heavier on the scale for sometime.

The best suggestion I would give, would be to take your measurements, and monitor that as well from now on.

Keep up the good work
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've found that one of the most important aspects of losing weight is long-term consistency. I too saw a small unwanted gain this morning but reminded myself that I'm in it for the long haul. Yes, it's disappointing and can unfortunatley lower motivation, but don't let it throw you off track. Continue to eat healthy. Continue with your efforts and you will see results.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    What they said! ;)
    - drink more water
    - measure yourself to see if the weight is muscle instead of fat.
    - Is it that time of month?
    - Eat more fiber.

Congrats on your goals and on being your best for your family. Hugs. :drinker: (water)
  • 125again
    Options
    haven't looked at your diary but watch your sodium. even if I 'm under my calories and over my sodium I gain weight.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who say eat more. It seems counter-intuitive but I had this problem and was shocked. I was 5lbs from my goal weight in early August, was going to have to replace all of my work clothes before school started (I'm a teacher) because I had lost 20+ pounds since the previous year, and wanted to take off that last little bit of weight so I would not "under" grow my clothes again. I started restricting myself to just my 1200 calories a day (not eating any of my excess calories from working out), upped the intensity and duration of my workouts, made sure I did not take ANY rest days, and walked extra every day just for good measure. After 10 days of this I got on the scale and had gained 2lbs. I was so discouraged that I didnt' work out for several days, and although I didn't just start shoving whatever I wanted in my mouth, I stopped counting calories and just ate when I was hungry, which was definitely more than 1200 calories. I did eventually pick the work outs back up, and started to count calories again (which I definitely think is important) but continued to eat more, consuming most of my extra calories, and when I got on the scale a week later I had not only dropped the 2 I had gained, but 2 additional! Your body needs fuel and time to recover. If you push yourself too hard and don't eat enough, it will think you are starving it and store up fat.
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Try adding a little fresh lemon juice to your water!It speeds things up and is really good for you.I didn't like it at first but now I don't like water without it.