Alcohol (Can I still have fun?)

Options
So starting a new diet and exercise plan. And I love beer and wine. My husband and I are even brewing some of our own beer. Its really hard to only just limit myself to just one beer on the weekend or one glass of wine. Do I just eat less in the day to compensate?? Don't want to live without the good stuff.

Replies

• Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I drink on weekends then back to workout Monday lol
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Is this the third alcohol post today?

Yes, you can still drink. Just make sure you log it and it fits in your calorie goals.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Log and track your cals, simple as that. Personally I don't drink beer, I prefer vodka, so it's not a big hit to my calories, but to be honest, since I started lifting and swimming again, I haven't had the desire to drink. I have been dry for almost two months.

Drink what you want, just track it and make sure it fits your macros and you'll be fine.

Rigger
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I have one or two drinks a day, 3/4 of the week. One day of the week is usually a lot more (I have a bar & alcohol w/entertaining is part of my life). So far, it's been okay (although I did cut myself off from alcohol 100% for a few weeks before getting serious enough about my goals to join this site and maintained no alcohol for a few weeks into MFP to get a healthy eating routine cemented a bit w/o the immediate rush to fit in the liquid cals.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, enjoy your alcohol. Track the calories and fit them in like you would any other food. Be careful that if you're drinking, you might be more likely to drop your inhibitions and say screw it and binge on donuts or something nutritionally stupid.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It seems really difficult at first to cut back on things that you love, I had this issue with alcohol as well as desserts, and i regularly enjoy both. I am not saying that you should stop enjoying things that you really love. A couple tactics I have employed to cut back are sipping slowly/ putting my drink down between sips, buying an expensive drink so I take longer to drink it and think before getting multiples, offer to drive, make plans for the next morning that you don't want to be hungover for, set a limit of drinks you can have (based on calorie deficit) once you get to that point you think about whether it's really worth going over or not. You'll find your way eventually, Cheers!
  • liquidleaves
    Options
    It seems really difficult at first to cut back on things that you love, I had this issue with alcohol as well as desserts, and i regularly enjoy both. I am not saying that you should stop enjoying things that you really love. A couple tactics I have employed to cut back are sipping slowly/ putting my drink down between sips, buying an expensive drink so I take longer to drink it and think before getting multiples, offer to drive, make plans for the next morning that you don't want to be hungover for, set a limit of drinks you can have (based on calorie deficit) once you get to that point you think about whether it's really worth going over or not. You'll find your way eventually, Cheers!

Those are really great ideas. Thank you all for your motivation. Its going to be hard at first, but I think I can do it!
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you want. Your results will reflect those choices. Just give it a try and see. I can generally drink a few beers here and there. But, when I go on a full-on bender, I tend to eat like crazy, and then the results of 2 weeks of good solid hard work are erased.

^^THIS.

Two glasses of wine or two beers won't hurt you, if you fit it in your goals for the day. It is the munchies that go along with it that hurt you. Just balance it all out. I typically leave 100-200 calories in my goal if I know I want a glass of wine or two when I get home from work. And if I have food with it, it is low fat ice cream or one small piece of chocolate. Obviously you will see better results if you cut out alcohol 100% but that isn't realistic for most people. Just don't eat up to your limit and then have the beer without accounting for it, log it all honestly and stick to your calorie goal.
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    You can do anything you want. Your results will reflect those choices. Just give it a try and see. I can generally drink a few beers here and there. But, when I go on a full-on bender, I tend to eat like crazy, and then the results of 2 weeks of good solid hard work are erased.

This. It's totally not even worth it to me. To each their own. Good luck.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Is this the third alcohol post today?

Yes, you can still drink. Just make sure you log it and it fits in your calorie goals.

^ This exactly ... all of it.
  • mustapekka
    Options
    Of course you can drink, a lot of drunks are really skinny ;)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No, dieting means you must be miserable or you're doing it wrong.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You can include it.

Just fyi--whenever I drink I gain. Every time. I have an open food diary but I don't think you can track my weight. I typically drink one martini or vodka with zero calorie mixer. Still gain the next day.
    So starting a new diet and exercise plan. And I love beer and wine. My husband and I are even brewing some of our own beer. Its really hard to only just limit myself to just one beer on the weekend or one glass of wine. Do I just eat less in the day to compensate?? Don't want to live without the good stuff.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change, not a prison, yes you can drink as long as you stay within your calories, just increase exercise and all will be good. Actually I found that the more healthy you get when losing weight the less you want to drink..(i was a up to 4 bottles of wine a week) wasted calories, but definitely drink if you want to.