Should I join a gym?

Options
Allow me to start at the beginning. I weigh 272 pounds and have a goal to get down to 145. That in itself is a lofty goal.

Two years ago I started MFP, joined an amazing gym with my husband that required us to undergo a physical and have a tailored plan made for us to start out with. During that time we went for a solid two months almost every day. We both lost a significant amount of weight (I had started losing a few months before after having my baby and getting up to 292 pounds) and I got down to 240 before we let ourselves go again and I gained 30 back. It was a wonderful feeling. We did only cardio 3X a week and added weights 2X a week. The weight literally fell off me and we felt so good! This of course was coupled with excellent eating at 1200 calories a day with one cheat day a week (the suggestion I got from my doctor).

This past spring I was fed up with the weight gain so picked up MFP again for a few months (from the end of January to March) so me and a friend went to a gym together during that time 3X a week coupled with eating at 1400-1600 a day with the occasional "cheat" day because I was having trouble going back down to 1200. During this time we would do 30 mins of racketball, 40 mins of elliptical, then another 40 of weights. However, unlike the success I had the first time I hardly dropped any weight at all. I know some say that I am losing inches or whatever, but honestly because I'm so heavy it seemed really unlikely that I wouldn't lose more than 6 pounds from calorie counting before I decided to go to the gym and nothing after. I dropped the ball again when I had to stop visiting that gym (guest passes aren't cheap and they didn't offer monthly options) and thus took a break from calorie counting until a few weeks ago.

The gym that I had gone to with my friend is the gym at the University my husband and friend go to. They have one fee you pay at the beginning of the year and the pass lasts until the following school year. It is around $230, which isn't cheap all at once but it's fairly reasonable when looked at monthly.

The reason I'm reluctant is because although the first time around had wonderful success, I really don't want to repeat the frustration and failure of the second time. Maybe I should go back to strictly eating at 1200? Perhaps I should tone down the amount of time I spend at the gym? Perhaps I wasn't there enough?

I want to do something that will produce results. I know that exercise is the best thing. But maybe there is a certain time I should start?

I'm sorry this is so long but I wanted you to know the details and give me some brutally honest answers. A side note is that I have PCOS and my husband and I are trying to get pregnant again.

Replies

• RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    with over 100 lbs you are interested in loosing- you could (if you wanted) save the money and have great success with calorie deficit and just walking- may not be glamorous but it would get you on the right path and wouldn't cost you anything.

Don't look at working out as being a way to lose weight- because it has so much more to offerer than just "weight loss" quality of life- improved mood and energy- increased stamina- strength to do things on your own- freedom to do other things you couldn't before- improved balance.

ANYTHING you do right now will help in coordination with getting your calories down to a managable.

So I would start with walking- and calorie stuff- then if you feel more confident want to spend the money go to the gym.

That being said- I love the gym- I love going- I love working out and I encourage EVERYONE to learn how to lift... but for you if there is any question about wanting to spend or not spend- save and just walk/watch what you eat.
  • RachelSRoach1
    Options
    I probably should just prove myself committed to the cause before investing money, you're right about that. The only complication is that with my husband working full time from 3pm to 12am and going to school from 7am to 2pm, that would mean I would have to do exercise either at home or outside and as much as I love being outside during the day I just don't feel safe going walking at night. No excuses, just the facts. I could just use videos and what-not.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what do you do during the day??

walking is free and can be done anywhere... at any time. Like before or after work (at your work) or during your lunch break. If you go shopping- park at the end and walk. Take the stairs.

Lots of options- and yes- you could absolutely do at home videos... but walking is easier on your joints and is the most bang for your buck right now- and it's free :)

I"M a big fan of free LOL

You have to do what is comfortable for you- what is going to be sustainable- something you are going to WANT to do.
    I'm not saying you have to "prove your commitment" I'm just saying that you can get started right away with out the financial investment. BUT- if you think going to the gym is a better option for you- then by all means- go do your walking or take some classes or what have you at the gym- no harm no foul- no shame.
  • RachelSRoach1
    Options
    You make some excellent points. And let me just say I really appreciate the input you're giving me!

I am a stay at home mom. What I do depends on the day. Monday is office day, Tuesday is town day, Wednesday is kitchen day, Thursday is Laundry day, Friday is cleaning day, Saturday is garden day and Sunday is all about Church. In addition to the tasks per each day I homeschool my eldest son, get the house clean, make all the meals, and because we only have one car and sometimes I need it then often I will be driving somewhere to drop off or pick up my Honey. Not that you needed to know all that but typically during the day it's hard to find free time.

Anyway, the primary concern I have over the gym is just not having success. I don't want to over do it or take it too easy. I do love walking though. But then again if I am going to have just as much success at home doing a video over and over (be it from youtube, JM30DS, or Blogilates) for free (I love free also) then it would be worth it to stay home I guess.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    at the risk of turning this thread into a dumpster fire, i've got to say that this just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

We can't tell you if you 'should' join a gym, just like we can't tell that if you did join, would you actually go and get benefits from it. there's only one question and you have to ask it of yourself. "Do I wanna work out?" If no, do not join a gym. If yes, join the gym, come up with a workout plan, and follow thru. That's all there is to it and all there will ever be to it. If you can't work out, or don't want to, or can't afford the fees or don't have any free time, that's cool and I understand. You don't have to go. But if you can go and want to go, what are we waiting on? Put on some gym clothes, put your debit card in your pocket and go over to the gym right now to sign up and work out.

Oh, you're worried about not having success? Well, would you like to know a guaranteed, 100% fool-proof, surefire way to ensure that you NEVER succeed? Can you guess what I'm going to say?

Listen, I have days that I don't feel like going. I have days when I don't have time to work out. I have days where I wonder if I'm ever going to reach my goals. We all those days. The only difference between me and you is that I put one foot in front of the other until I reach the front door of the gym, even on days where I feel like crap. That's all there is too it. Just close the laptop, get your ID and debit card, and start walking until you're at the gym.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Anyway, the primary concern I have over the gym is just not having success. I don't want to over do it or take it too easy. I do love walking though. But then again if I am going to have just as much success at home doing a video over and over (be it from youtube, JM30DS, or Blogilates) for free (I love free also) then it would be worth it to stay home I guess.

I understand what you are saying, but I think it goes deeper than that.

How are you judging success? Scale, clothing sizes, or physical fitness?

I started going to the gym over 18 months ago. Every pound lost was a struggle. 8 months ago I stopped losing weight, even though I still have about 60lbs left to lose. 6 months ago I bit the bullet and hired a trainer to kick my butt several times a week. Working with my trainers has been amazing, and even though I am obese, they have shown me that I am capable of so much more than I ever imagined! I have other gym members coming up to me and commenting on how good I am doing...some of the muscle guys have even been known to gawk at me!

I have progressed so much that my first trainer ( he moved after a few months and handed me off to another trainer) has suggested that I consider getting certified to be a trainer myself!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    at the risk of turning this thread into a dumpster fire, i've got to say that this just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

We can't tell you if you 'should' join a gym, just like we can't tell that if you did join, would you actually go and get benefits from it. there's only one question and you have to ask it of yourself. "Do I wanna work out?" If no, do not join a gym. If yes, join the gym, come up with a workout plan, and follow thru. That's all there is to it and all there will ever be to it. If you can't work out, or don't want to, or can't afford the fees or don't have any free time, that's cool and I understand. You don't have to go. But if you can go and want to go, what are we waiting on? Put on some gym clothes, put your debit card in your pocket and go over to the gym right now to sign up and work out.

Oh, you're worried about not having success? Well, would you like to know a guaranteed, 100% fool-proof, surefire way to ensure that you NEVER succeed? Can you guess what I'm going to say?

Listen, I have days that I don't feel like going. I have days when I don't have time to work out. I have days where I wonder if I'm ever going to reach my goals. We all those days. The only difference between me and you is that I put one foot in front of the other until I reach the front door of the gym, even on days where I feel like crap. That's all there is too it. Just close the laptop, get your ID and debit card, and start walking until you're at the gym.

I would listen to him, he has a sincere smile.
  • RachelSRoach1
    Options

I would listen to him, he has a sincere smile.

It's a good smile I'll admit lol

I appreciated his hard core no BS attitude too. I did ask for some mean answers if necessary. I know I probably sounded like I had a lot of excuses. What is anyone's goal on here (who wants to lose an incredible amount of weight) but to lose as much weight as they can in as short a time as possible without putting it back on afterwards. I guess what my ridiculously long question boiled down to was:

1. Is there right off the bat something from either experience that contributed ultimately to failure to lose weight? Aside from the obvious one of stopping what I was doing of course.

2. With that in mind, and in your personal experience, would it just be easier to have the kind of success at the scale someplace else?

Once again feel free to let me have it. I can take a tough answer. I really want to know the answer to number 1.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think I would just stick your baby/young child in a stroller (or whatever you call it where you are and walk). It's free, you can do it whenever and it's easy to do. Work on that and your diet and then reassess in a few months. If you can't commit to taking an hour out of your day to go for a walk I am unsure if you would actually follow through with going to the gym if you joined.

For the days that the weather is terrible you could try those Leslie Sansone walking dvds or similar.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    RE #1: From your OP I gather that you've taken 2 swings on this site, one went well and one ended in frustration. Okay, that's a 50% success rate. Every capital investor in history would sell their soul for a 1 in 2 chance of success. That is, if capital investors had souls. So why would you choose to focus on the time it didn't work?

Going deeper, the only times in my life that I learned something valuable 3 things were in play. 1) I was willing to learn. 2) I was not willing to give up. And 3) I failed horrendously. That's right, the only times I've learned something is by failing. And trying again. And again. And again and again. The times I succeeded on my first try didn't teach me shish. I just got lucky, and most likely attributed the success to my innate awesome or some such BS.

So the last time you tried to lose weight it didn't go so well. So what? You wanna just stay fat? I don't think you do or you wouldn't be back here. So try again, and be prepared for some frustration. But work it thru. Try to change your diet. Try to measure your food. Try different methods of exercise. Try.......something, anything. I was 60 pounds overweight and failed dozens of times before I figured it out. It sucked. But I'm damn sure glad that I kept trying. What worked for me was the simplest solution. Eat everything I enjoy eating just keep within my calorie goals. If you can't get to the gym there are millions of workouts you can do at home while watching YouTube videos. I got in shape doing some of them myself.

RE #2: Ummmm.....what was the question, exactly?