20 pounds in four months possible?

Options
Hey! I am new to weight loss journey. I lost 10 pounds last year then I quit working out and counting calories. I gained about 3 pounds of it back. I am back and am very serious about it this time. I'm eating around 1300 calories a day and working out (mostly on the elliptical) for about an hour a day, so far. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by Christmas? Is this pheasable without completely killing myself?

Replies

• Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I lost 32.8 lbs in 3 months:) So I would say yes.
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Very possible!!!!!!!
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 in my first 2.5 months, (lots of water weight of course) and am at 33lbs lost now since March 27. I have about 95 in total to lose (60ish now) which is also a big factor in how fast you are able to lose.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but you might want to lower your goal slightly to make it more attainable since it's unlikely that you will lose every week.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If you have quite a lot to lose then its probably possible but if you don't have much to lose then it will be more difficult.

Its something to aim for and to keep you focused but just don't set your expectations too high and be disappointed if you don't reach your goal by Christmas. This should be a lifestyle change and not a race. The longer it takes you to reach your goal weight the more likely you'll have had the time to learn to eat well and so it should be easier to keep the weight off long term.

Also weight often comes off in chunks and you might not lose every week so don't get discouraged.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 in 4 months so yes it is!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker..that's almost the amount you have left to lose. The closer you get to goal, the harder and longer it'll take to get there.

Is it possible..it's a big maybe and I would encourage, instead, to focus on body fat % and fitness goals over a scale #. I would say if you kept at it, you could lose between 6-15lbs the next 4 months.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Very attainable, but make sure not to starve yourself in the process.
  • waltzingaround11
    waltzingaround11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just lost 30+ in under 4 months so I say, yes, it is possible. :) Consistency and trust.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    12kg in 3.5 months with 5:2 and exercise - just melted away, didn't feel like a diet. This is my tool for life! It's the first thing, that has ever worked for me.

Oh yeah - I didn't set a weight loss goal. But I am enjoying what's happening :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker..that's almost the amount you have left to lose. The closer you get to goal, the harder and longer it'll take to get there.

Is it possible..it's a big maybe and I would encourage, instead, to focus on body fat % and fitness goals over a scale #. I would say if you kept at it, you could lose between 6-15lbs the next 4 months.

^^This.

Without knowing much about you, I'd say that 1300 calories per day is pretty low if you're exercising 60 min per day as well, unless you're eating those back.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Nourish your body everyday, eat at a deficit, treat yourself to some good exercise 6 days a week and your body will be where it needs to be in 4 months. :) But yes it seems like a decent goal!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY possible! Easily as a matter of fact! Count calories, measure & weigh your foods, increase cardio too! Ive lost 9 in the last month & im close to my goal! You can totally do this if you set your mind to it!!

10 pounds in a year is a SMALL amount though, so i wonder if you are serious about this? I lost 80 in a year! You have to WORK HARD! Nothing is just going to "happen" !!!
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    If 20 lbs is all you have to lose, you may not lose it all in 4 months. The less you weigh, the less calories you burn during your exercises. I used to work out with a friend who weighed about 100 lbs more than me. She could work out for the exact same amount of time as me, and she would burn at least 100-200 more calories than me. Also, don't check the scale too often. In fact, I'd throw out the scale all together. I went to the doctor for my birth control a few months back, they weighed me, and it said I weighed 160. I went back a few months later, and they told me I weighed 167. I know I didn't gain seven pounds because my diet didn't change and I'd been exercising more frequently. The scale will lie to you. The scale doesn't take water retention into account, and neither do Doctors.
  • RGv2
    Options
    TOTALLY possible! Easily as a matter of fact! Count calories, measure & weigh your foods, increase cardio too! Ive lost 9 in the last month & im close to my goal! You can totally do this if you set your mind to it!!

10 pounds in a year is a SMALL amount though, so i wonder if you are serious about this? I lost 80 in a year! You have to WORK HARD! Nothing is just going to "happen" !!!

She's doing plenty of cardio. I'd recommend adding weight training as well if anything is to be added.

I'd still like to know if that's 1300 total cals in per day, or if it is supplemented with exercise cals.

Plus, these are the last 20lbs, the closer to goal weight, the slower the lbs come off.
  • DeathListFive
    DeathListFive Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Very possible if you're dedicated. I lost 50 lbs in 4 months by eating clean and exercising. Don't starve yourself, pay attention to your macros, eat healthy foods, and drink lots of water.
  • dun4990
    dun4990 Posts: 17
    Options
    I only have about 40 total to lose, so I consider 10 lbs in about 3 months and keeping it off for a year, pretty good. The more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off.
  • dun4990
    dun4990 Posts: 17
    Options

She's doing plenty of cardio. I'd recommend adding weight training as well if anything is to be added.

I'd still like to know if that's 1300 total cals in per day, or if it is supplemented with exercise cals.

Plus, these are the last 20lbs, the closer to goal weight, the slower the lbs come off.

I am using machines and I eat back my calories!
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    When you find what works for you, absolutely.
  • RGv2
    Options

I am using machines and I eat back my calories!

Ok, the other I'd throw out there is make sure you don't overestimate exercise calories...MFP (and people in general) are pretty bad about that.

IMHO, if you've been at this for a year, I'd start to wean off the machines toward the free-weight area.