Finally got the lady balls to up my intake

Options
When I first started on my weight loss journey, I decided to stick to 1200 calories per day with gentle exercise 3 days a week and was losing weight easily. Over time though, I've discovered the athletic side of me and at this point I work out 6 days per week, with a healthy combination of weight lifting, running, and other cardio. I was afraid to up my calories for the longest time, even though my body is clutching desperately onto some weight. I tried calorie cycling, eating anywhere from 1000-1500 depending on the day, still averaging to 1200. Still having a hard time. Well today I finally grew a pair of ovaries and upped my average to 1400, still cycling. It might not be enough, and I'll have to increase more, but we'll see how the next couple of weeks go. Thanks to the community for talking some sense into my head and helping me feel okay about eating more!

Replies

• twinkleton
    twinkleton Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How do you up the calories? I have tried to but it doesn't change? Thanks
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    She's choosing to eat more, not changing settings, I believe.
  • twinkleton
    twinkleton Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh ok!!! Thanks
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    To, the OP, way to go. Hope it works for you. :flowerforyou:

@twinkleton - Usually adjusting your MFP goal settings either by:

a) saying you want to lose 1lb a week or 0.5lbs per week and possibly changing activity level
    or
    b) entering a custom goal setting
    or
    c) sometimes even just eating exercise calories back that a person wasn't eating before
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Best of luck on your journey.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    Keep us upto date on how it goes.the thought of upping my cals terrifies me. Good luck
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Content+Use of the words "lady balls" = epic thread winnage!
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I struggled not losing and pounds for several months. Recently I have upped my calories because I do exercise 6 days a week. have lost 6 pounds in the past week so yes it does work!!
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I just loved the title lol

But all the luck to you :) Hopefully it works well for you and you'll have an awesome update for us
  • bhannana
    bhannana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I too just upped my calories goal to 1450 after trying to stay at 1200 for a long time. I was cranky and hungry and after doing Insanity and starting T25 decided it was time to start eating more to feel better. I'm trying not to worry so much about the scale and focus more on how my body feels, increasing my overall athletic ability, and eating foods that are good for me. I have to say though the idea of increasing the calories was kind of scary.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you- I'm cutting down to about 15-1200... I couldn't imagine eating less- I'm operating around 1900 and I'm going to die at that low level.

Welcome to the awesome world of eating to perform and being able to eat all the things- ALL THE TIME. NOM NOM NOM.

:D
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    @ Twinkleton I have my goals set manually, but because I calorie cycle I just set it to my rest day consumption and ignore it on the other days. I have it written in my notebook I use to keep track of my fitness and add a "Food Note" each day to remind me.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    Options
    Keep us upto date on how it goes.the thought of upping my cals terrifies me. Good luck

It's terrifying for me too, but hey. The worst that could possibly happen is I don't lose anything for the next few weeks and I go back down. But I doubt that will happen, mathematically I'm still at a very large deficit averaging 1400 calories a day.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    Options
    I struggled not losing and pounds for several months. Recently I have upped my calories because I do exercise 6 days a week. have lost 6 pounds in the past week so yes it does work!!

Thanks for letting me know it worked for you! Hopefully it does for me too. :)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    Options
    Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

I'll definitely post an update in a couple weeks!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Content+Use of the words "lady balls" = epic thread winnage!

Completely agree! Hope it works for you, it did for me :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Up it slowly, about 100 calories a week and give it 6-8 weeks, you might gain a little but it will be water weight, drink a lot of water and soon the weight will start coming off!!

Here is a calculator to figure exactly what you should be eating: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good luck.