some advice needed regards to weight gain

Options
gained 1kg. guess it could be muscles which is fine. have been doing quiet some weights. should i just focus on cardio only for time being since i have a big target of loss?

Replies

• wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Indeed. If weight loss is your goal you need to focus on cardio exercises and activities that get your heart rate up. Pumping iron is great to do as well but it shouldn't be a focus. =D
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    This is hard to answer. Can you provide some more information? How long did it take for you to gain 1 kg? How much are you exercising (cardio and weights)? What are you eating? If we can see your food and exercise diaries, that would help.

It takes a while to build 1 kg of muscle, but it's possible. If you've only been exercising a little while, your muscles could be holding water for repair. This is common in the beginning. Perhaps your sodium (salt) intake is too high? That's easy to overlook when you're concentrating on the calories.

In general, strength training (weights) is best for weight loss. I would recommend you continue the weights and cardio balanced for even exercise. Best of luck!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thanish, Im no expert here, thats for sure, but if you just want to take off pounds , so that you can work out with weights and equipment, try the eliptical or the tread mill , if they have a gym over there where you live

You can really reduce that high blood pressure if you just take off the weight and start moving.........what ever you choose, weights, lifting weghts, doing cardio with the tread mill or eliptical, at this point, it really would be beneficial if you just started moving, .......even just plain old walking ,

maybe consider walking in the neighborhood , or around the block........things like that

but you should just keep moving, your heart needs an increase in rate, so Good Luck, were all rooting for you here.......Lloyd
  • thanish
    Options
    woohoo.. super fast replies. thanks guys.

wan2b21: yeah my current typical allocation is 60 cardio and 15 - 20 mins of weight. currently i take calcium 1000mg everyday. should i consider iron?

millerll: my diary is open now.

lloyd: yeah thats what i'm doing now about 2 months. treadmill and the stationary cycle is my buddie at the gym. my pressure has lowered now after losing quite some weights. need to further bring it down. thanks man !
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the weight training. The more muscle mass you gain, the more calories you burn even when resting. At the very least, it will help keep the muscle mass that you already have. If you stop weight training and stick with just cardio, your body will lose muscle along with the fat, making it harder to lose weight as you go along. As a bonus, your metabolism is actually elevated for up to 48 hours after weight training as your body repairs itself. Cardio burns more calories while you're doing the exercise, but weight training really helps out in the long run.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thanish,

I was able to look at a few days of your food diary (the site keeps closing on me tonight), and I have a few recommendations.

First, I'm not very familiar with the cuisine in your country, so I think it would help you to also look at sodium and sugar. Those can hide in your food sometimes where you least expect them and can make weight loss hard. Again, I could only see about a week of your diary, so if I just happened to pick bad days, I apologise.

Second, it appears that you are eating well below your recommended calories most days, based on the goals the site set up for you. You need to make sure you're getting enough nutrients to fuel your body for your exercise and just everyday life in general. Reducing your calories too low can cause problems with your metabolism and slow down weight loss. I see you've lost 11 kg so far, but you may now be seeing the results of undereating. I know it doesn't seem to make sense that you could stop losing, or even gain, when you eat less, but it can happen. It happened to me before I found this site and learned more about nutrition.

Finally, make sure you're getting enough fresh fruits and vegetables. Again, these may already be in the foods you've logged and I'm just not familiar with them. If that's the case, great. If not, try to add those to your diet. They will also help you add more good calories to your daily total.

Overall, you're making great strides and you've probably just hit the dreaded plateau. It happens to all of us sooner or later. If you have patience and keep doing what you've been doing, you should be fine and the weight will start to come off again. Good luck!
  • thanish
    Options
    thanks guys... so i shall continue with cardio + weights... and looks i need to meet my calorie requirement but the problem i'm having is the feel of i'm overeating if i about to meet my calorie requirement. i was a guy who use to eat like mad but now since i have been eating very less for past 2 months i just feel the guilt of eating more... how you guys overcome this?