Ankle, knees, hip pain

Options
Hey hey!

I'm 26 years old, 6'5, 288 (down from 326). I've been walking anywhere from 3-6 miles a day the last 4 months probably. When I started it wasn't everyday, I had to build up to be able to do it at a decent pace. Now, however, it's been everyday.

I'm find my ankles, knees, hips, (sometimes back) and legs generally start aching now mid-walk (around 3 miles) and all night. Sometimes to the point where I can't sleep. I can't tell if it's pain from wearing my body down too much, carrying so much weight and having flat feet? Or is this natural feeling of muscles building and working my legs out?

I walk around 4.0-4.2mph including some elevations and pushing myself more and more each day. Is this too much? Too far? Am I injuring myself? Should I take a break for a few days and see what happens? I mean I'm young at 26 but maybe I'm just starting to get aches and pains that getting older brings? Can't tell.

Probably 6 months ago I broke my right (flat) foot and went to the doctors. He pretty much just said, "yep, it's flat. not much we can do for ya. an insert will kill ya, you'll just need a hip replacement in your late 50s most-likely", which sucks but he said there's not much I can do except to go about everything as regular as anyone else. so that's what I'm trying to do...

hmm.. anyone have an opinion on this? same troubles? ideas? advice?

thanks guys!

Replies

• kelvincornish1
    Options
    You are too young to be getting aches and pains because you are getting older! Your body is adapting to the exercise and it tells you so because you are hurting. That is not bad in itself unless the pain is really excrutiating. Like any exercise, you need to rest to recover so maybe take a day off. You seem to be walking quite fast so have you thought about jogging for say 100 yards so that your body is shocked because you have done something different?
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Both sides or just one?

One side could be the result of a pinched nerve. I am dealing with that right now.... it sucks but lots of stretching and yogo is helping to "unpinch" it!
  • treesaaaaap
    treesaaaaap Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Should try jogging a bit to break it up and see how my body reacts. It's 99% both sides, every once in a while I get it more so on my right side.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    What shape are your shoes? My husband was having knee pain. When he replaced his shoes and did warm up exercises it helped tremendously. Did your doctor send you to a physical therapist? Makes more sense than to already be talking hip replacement at such a young age and I am talking the 50 not the 26.