What am I doing wrong?

Options
Can someone check my diary and give me some advice? I've been eating better and exercising for 23 days (I'm on a 90-day quest) and I don't see or feel any results. I've heard it takes 6 weeks to start seeing results but, other than a 5 pounds loss at the beginning (which I'm attributing to water weight), I haven't lost an ounce.

Replies

• theatregirl4416
    Options
    Well done on the 5 lb loss!

Two things I can suggest, and not being harsh:

1) I see you are overdoing it a little bit some days on salt/sodium. Try cutting that back? I dont see a column for sugar either, maybe add one and keep an eye on that. Those two things can sometimes be the first thing you need to watch, I know its not easy, I'm trying it myself at the moment and its tough going to begin with!

2) Have you seen a difference in your measurements, waist, hips, etc? Often the exercise will tone you up and so the difference wont show on the scale but it will on a measurement side of things.

Good luck :D
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I do have issues with sodium. That causes water retention, right? I'll add a column for sugar and watch that too :)

I have gone down a few inches all around!

Thank you :D
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are up and down on your daily calories and carb/fat/protien ratios. I didn't look to see if you were eating back your exercise calories, so that may explain it.

I would suggest reworking your goals, based on a 2lb per week loss and sticking to the ratios.

If you are up for trying something different, cut out all processed/pre-packaged foods, corn, wheat and sugar, perhaps dairy as well.

You could also try to keep your blood sugar stable by making sure you eat any carbs with protein, not with fat. It is ok to eat fat and protein together, but not with carbs.

Again, these are just suggestions, if you are interested. If not, then disregard.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are up and down on your daily calories and carb/fat/protien ratios. I didn't look to see if you were eating back your exercise calories, so that may explain it.

I would suggest reworking your goals, based on a 2lb per week loss and sticking to the ratios.

If you are up for trying something different, cut out all processed/pre-packaged foods, corn, wheat and sugar, perhaps dairy as well.

You could also try to keep your blood sugar stable by making sure you eat any carbs with protein, not with fat. It is ok to eat fat and protein together, but not with carbs.

Again, these are just suggestions, if you are interested. If not, then disregard.

Good luck!

what happens if I eat fat, protein, and carbs at the same time? Will my body fat go up ten percent, or will I just spontaneously combust???
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I would recommend cutting way back on processed foods and introducing more vegetables into your diet. There are many hidden sugars in the processed foods that are not doing you any favors. Also, your calorie intake seems quite low. Take a look at the Healthy Eating Plate at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/ and start using that as a model for your eating.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Good luck!

what happens if I eat fat, protein, and carbs at the same time? Will my body fat go up ten percent, or will I just spontaneously combust???

lol
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    1. You seem to eat a lot of processed crap.
    2. You're probably not eating enough.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Well, yeah.
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories!! This is the advice I got a few weeks ago and it WORKS! I had plateaued for 3 months and increased the intensity of my workouts and didn't lose a single pound. On the advice of the MFP community I increased my calories and have lost 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks! Definitely eat more and you will see a difference.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Good luck!

Well, yeah.

which one combustion or ten percent increase in body fat...or would I spontaneously combust into an extremely obese person and lose all my gains?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eat more calories!! This is the advice I got a few weeks ago and it WORKS! I had plateaued for 3 months and increased the intensity of my workouts and didn't lose a single pound. On the advice of the MFP community I increased my calories and have lost 5 pounds in the past 2 weeks! Definitely eat more and you will see a difference.

hmmm, I have decreased my calories and lost 8 pounds...

which is better...?
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options

hmmm, I have decreased my calories and lost 8 pounds...

which is better...?

I think it depends on the intensity of your workouts and how many calories you were eating to begin with. It looks like most days she's not even eating 1200. Especially if she's working out this is not nearly enough to fuel her day let alone her workouts.
  • littlerjh
    littlerjh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it looks as if you're staying in your calorie range but its what you're eating. I don't know your lifestyle but instead of french toast or pancakes for breakfast have an omelet with like onions, 1 oz of sara lee mesquite turkey breast (tastes like ham) & top with 1/8 c. weight watchers shredded cheese & 2 tsp of salsa. You will be held over much longer to the next snack/meal & feel much fuller. If its processed food that you can pop in the microwave don't eat it. Eat meals & snacks that need you to prepare them. Vegies vegies vegies!! BE PROUD OF THE 5 LBS!! Keep on keepin on! Good luck!
  • oDDnySS
    oDDnySS Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I know for me that sugar is my weakness- I still haven't completely given it up, but I did find that upping my protein intake (not too much though- your body will convert surplus into fat when not utilized), staying hydrated with water, and keeping my fiber and carb levels pretty stable, it warded off hunger, and I had TONS of energy to put into everyday activities- are you getting adequate sleep? Don't worry- you WILL see results soon, your body is adapting. Keep with it- you have some pretty cool goals listed out on your profile (I should be that specific with mine! Haha)- and once you start losing, it will be unbelievably motivating, trust me!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Reach your calorie goal by eating foods you enjoy, eat back most, if not all, of your exercise calories...exercise, lift heavy for better end result body composition.

Simple. Don't overthink it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    what happens if I eat fat, protein, and carbs at the same time?

then you, sir, have a cheeseburger....and i am jealous.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If its processed food that you can pop in the microwave don't eat it.

really.gif
  • firstloveyourself
    Options
    Oh gosh. I wasn't expecting all of this info! :love: :love: :love:

I know I eat too much processed food, but unfortunately I don't make a lot of money; most days I have to eat whatever I have a coupon for. I usually don't eat back exercise calories...I've heard that I should, and I've heard that I shouldn't, so I'm a little confused.

My breakfast is usually protein powder in almond milk--I only eat stuff like french toast and pancakes on Sunday mornings (because they serve it at church). I don't like eggs so omelets aren't an option :(
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh. I wasn't expecting all of this info! :love: :love: :love:

I know I eat too much processed food, but unfortunately I don't make a lot of money; most days I have to eat whatever I have a coupon for. I usually don't eat back exercise calories...I've heard that I should.

My breakfast is usually protein powder in almond milk--I only eat stuff like french toast and pancakes on Sunday mornings (because they serve it at church). I don't like eggs so omelets aren't an option :(

Fixed the bolded part for you. And omelets are da bomb diggity...just sayin'
  • firstloveyourself
    Options
    I just changed my goals to a 2lb loss per week and it has me eating just over 1400 calories a day. (I was at like 1630 I think)