Push Ups - Depth vs. Reps

Options
Which is more productive in firming and gaining strength, doing fewer but deeper pushups (boobs to the ground), or more push ups, but only going down a few inches. I'm hearing conflicting stories.

Currently, I'm doing more pushups, but not very deep. Doesn't matter if I'm on my knees or military style, and I prefer to do military style since it seems that gives me a better core workout.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Going down only a few inches is not going to get you very far and is not really a pushup. You need to at least go down far enough so that your upper arms are parallel to the floor
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so the question is which is better, full reps or quarter reps?
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    full reps

you can elevate your feet or hands to engage different muscles (think incline decline press). Also put your hands and feet on an elevated areas (boxes, something stable) so you can go past parallel for a deeper pushup
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Which is more productive in firming and gaining strength, doing fewer but deeper pushups (boobs to the ground), or more push ups, but only going down a few inches. I'm hearing conflicting stories.

Currently, I'm doing more pushups, but not very deep. Doesn't matter if I'm on my knees or military style, and I prefer to do military style since it seems that gives me a better core workout.

so you recognize that doing full pushups gives you a better workout then half push ups. So why would you think it'd be better to go quarter/half down on a full push up versus doing an actual full push up?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I only know how to do pushups one way. If there is more than one fist of distance between your face and the ground it was not a push up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    so the question is which is better, full reps or quarter reps?

This.

What you have explained is that you're not doing a full pushup.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    There's a reason those pushup apps want you to touch your nose off the screen.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options

so you recognize that doing full pushups gives you a better workout then half push ups. So why would you think it'd be better to go quarter/half down on a full push up versus doing an actual full push up?

My question revolved around quantity, don't think I explained it well. If I can only do 1 or 2 full push ups, but can do 7-10 partial push ups, does doing fewer full provide more benefit? Seems the consensus is fewer full.

I had a free intro training class to a gym I joined, and the trainer said I didn't need to do full push ups, partials are fine. I'm only now able to do upper arms level with the ground, occasionally, after about three weeks of working at it, so I'll just keep pushing until I get full range.

Thanks.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

My question revolved around quantity, don't think I explained it well. If I can only do 1 or 2 full push ups, but can do 7-10 partial push ups, does doing fewer full provide more benefit? Seems the consensus is fewer full.

I had a free intro training class to a gym I joined, and the trainer said I didn't need to do full push ups, partials are fine. I'm only now able to do upper arms level with the ground, occasionally, after about three weeks of working at it, so I'll just keep pushing until I get full range.

Thanks.

It's fine to start with partials. When I first started, I had to do wall push ups. But if you can only do 1-2 full push ups then do those full and work on progressing them both in number then in variation (making it harder). Don't short yourself because you are choosing "quantity over quality".

As I said I started with wall push ups and pushed to half ones, then full. And I worked hard to do "full" push ups. Now, I'm doing declines and my new goal is handstand push ups.

It's like with any exercise in regards to form and progression.

ETA: To clarify, when I said partials I was referring to wall, half and incline push ups. My bad. Didn't word that correctly.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Full ROM, always. If you're just going down a little you're basically just working your triceps and nothing else, and it's not gonna help you get better at doing full pushups. Well, it's not gonna help you like doing full pushups are going to help you. Try adding one pushup to each set, every week or something.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Doing partials is not going to gain you much, you got bad information. There are ways to make the full ROM, easier that will be muchmore productive than doing partials. Drop to your knees or plant your hhands on something higher than your feet. Steps, couch, coffee table. Etc
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When the question of which is better for your progress between that which is easy and that which is hard...

...the correct answer will almost* always be that which is hard.

* I'm only including this qualifier because I never use absolutes.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would do as many full push-ups as you can in good form and then, from your hands and knees straighten to a plank and lower yourself down in the negative part of the push-up, back to hands and knees and lower down from plank again and do this a few times (maybe 5 if you can).

- doing negatives in this way will eventually build the strength you need to do more full push-ups.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    When the question of which is better for your progress between that which is easy and that which is hard...

...the correct answer will almost* always be that which is hard.

* I'm only including this qualifier because I never use absolutes.

Gigitty (^this)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    That's like asking will I burn more calories walking to work or catching the bus.

Do the full range of movement for the full effect of the exercise.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    can you even call it a push up if you're not using the full range? O_o
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would do as many full push-ups as you can in good form and then, from your hands and knees straighten to a plank and lower yourself down in the negative part of the push-up, back to hands and knees and lower down from plank again and do this a few times (maybe 5 if you can).

- doing negatives in this way will eventually build the strength you need to do more full push-ups.

Never heard of these. I'm doing them tonight. Thanks.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting with doing as many standard/full range push ups as you can do.

Once you can't complete any more of those, move on to push ups on your knees - then if those become too difficult even incorporate wall push ups. Aim to do more standard push ups over time.