SALT

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just eat it, it won't kill you. Stop worryin'

You have no idea whether it will kill her or not.

Well, lets be realistic here and not over-dramatic.

I wasn't being over-dramatic. High sodium diets can cause or worsen many medical conditions. Eating too much could realistically hasten her death.
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    I usually don't have any problem with my sodium intake for me its the sugar
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have congestive heart failure. I can't have that much salt.

I knew salt was bad for people with high blood pressure, but never heard of too much salt being linked with heart disease. Googled and saw there may be a link with stomach cancer and bone loss as well. I learned something new; thank you! Gives me incentive to lower my sodium intake (I'm just about always over).
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Ignorance is bliss.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I am a lover of salads as well.

I have mostly done away with prepackaged salad dressing though and have switched to oil and vinegar and/or lime or lemon.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Obviously the OP want's to reduce her salt, or wouldn't have even started this post, so saying "just eat it, it won't kill you, Stop worrying" isn't very helpful is it.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings so I can control the sodium.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make my own dressings so I can control the sodium.
    As I am a salad fanatic myself ????
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i buy a decent balsamic vinegar and love salad with just a bit of that drizzled on it. you can mix with olive oil and some seasonings as well adn control the salt
  • scottogle
    scottogle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In addition to lowering salt intake, think about increasing your Potassium intake. Increasing potassium intake improves the sodium-potassium balance of the body and enables the body to excrete sodium. Read up on the D.A.S.H. diet for more info.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    OP out of curiosity, what is your average sodium intake per day?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Obviously the OP want's to reduce her salt, or wouldn't have even started this post, so saying "just eat it, it won't kill you, Stop worrying" isn't very helpful is it.

Everyone on MFP worries about everything for no reason, just like sugar intake, my point was, she probably doesn't even NEED to reduce her salt intake.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ew...don't do the low-fat/fat free. It is so unhealthy!!
  • exealous
    exealous Posts: 10
    Options

Everyone on MFP worries about everything for no reason, just like sugar intake, my point was, she probably doesn't even NEED to reduce her salt intake.

Agreed. Especially since a new study has shown that a low intake of salt may actually do you more harm than good.
    http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=18311

I know myself if my intake is too low I get very bad cramps. So what I do is not stress too much about it and be moderate. :)

More info with study links: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/20/salt-myth.aspx

HTH :)

edited to add another: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-sodium-per-day/
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options

Everyone else's point was: You don't know the person, so she very well might need to reduce/watch her sodium. Since she made a post about it, I'd say it's more likely that she DOES need to monitor her intake. So, just be careful what you say...although to be fair most people who have to limit their salt (like me, due to both heart and liver failure; I hear the person who said they have to limit to 1000mg) already know that they can't "just eat it" or else the consequences actually could be quite dire. So there was probably no reason to jump down your throat. But I wish I could "just eat it!" I love salt. Especially salty crunchy things like...mmmmm....pretzels.

To the OP: Assuming that you do have a valid reason to watch your sodium, the best way to do it aside from throwing out your salt shaker is to ditch all frozen meals/snacks, processed foods, and canned foods as much as possible. Those are the things that have a ton of added salt in them, used as both a preservative and a flavoring/flavor enhancer. That includes unnaturally fat-free foods which...yeah, don't bother. Eat the fat. Also, cook more so you control what goes in your food. Do that, and you should be good to go.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Everyone else's point was: You don't know the person, so she very well might need to reduce/watch her sodium. Since she made a post about it, I'd say it's more likely that she DOES need to monitor her intake. So, just be careful what you say...although to be fair most people who have to limit their salt (like me, due to both heart and liver failure; I hear the person who said they have to limit to 1000mg) already know that they can't "just eat it" or else the consequences actually could be quite dire. So there was probably no reason to jump down your throat. But I wish I could "just eat it!" I love salt. Especially salty crunchy things like...mmmmm....pretzels.

To the OP: Assuming that you do have a valid reason to watch your sodium, the best way to do it aside from throwing out your salt shaker is to ditch all frozen meals/snacks, processed foods, and canned foods as much as possible. Those are the things that have a ton of added salt in them, used as both a preservative and a flavoring/flavor enhancer. That includes unnaturally fat-free foods which...yeah, don't bother. Eat the fat. Also, cook more so you control what goes in your food. Do that, and you should be good to go.

Not that you've been hostile towards me,, but telling me to watch what I say? I'll say what I want. If they don't provide info saying they have a medical issue, thats their problem.. not mine.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options

Not that you've been hostile towards me,, but telling me to watch what I say? I'll say what I want. If they don't provide info saying they have a medical issue, thats their problem.. not mine.

I didn't say to watch what you say, only to be careful. If you care, that is. If not, then be on your merry way. :) Like I said, those who know that they have to watch sodium will just ignore you and no harm done.

But to me, if someone is concerned enough about something having to do with nutrition or ingredients to make a post about it, then it's likely that they DO have a reason to be concerned about that thing,. Or not. What do I know? But I'm going to err on the side of caution, is all. In my experience, those who don't have reason to be concerned about sodium, in particular, are far more liable not to give a fig about it, are in fact liable to say something like, "The more the merrier" as they dump half a shaker of salt on their meal.

...Excuse me. I need to go listen to "Margaritaville" now...
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't say to watch what you say, only to be careful. If you care, that is. If not, then be on your merry way. :) Like I said, those who know that they have to watch sodium will just ignore you and no harm done.

But to me, if someone is concerned enough about something having to do with nutrition or ingredients to make a post about it, then it's likely that they DO have a reason to be concerned about that thing,. Or not. What do I know? But I'm going to err on the side of caution, is all. In my experience, those who don't have reason to be concerned about sodium, in particular, are far more liable not to give a fig about it, are in fact liable to say something like, "The more the merrier" as they dump half a shaker of salt on their meal.

...Excuse me. I need to go listen to "Margaritaville" now...
    [/quote]

QFT ! Play it Jimmy

Don't think I quoted that right, Sorry
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    pro-tip: unless you need to worry about salt, don't worry about salt.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I never thought about salt.....until today! 6 month dr check, all is great, lost some lbs, cholesterol is almost perfect, & he took me off bp & cholesterol meds. THEN he said you need to start watching your sodium intake now. I was like what??? And he said something about the meds I took for 7 years had a diuretic or something & now I won't have that & blah, blah, blah.
    So I guess I will start paying attention...