finding it hard to start the process.

hi. im 6'3" 263 lbs. my target weight for the moment is a solid 200lbs with muscle. ive been watching videos and reading up on wieght loss for the past week and i find it very hard to fully impliment this "life style change". i have 2 major questions. 1. most sites and videos say that cardio is the best way to lose fat (weight) but the side effect of to much cardio is to lose muscle as well. is there a proper balance? 2. its hard working retail and things going on in my life right now to make a solid commitment in cooking healthier foods all the time. would it be wiser to start off on something like the slim fast diet or should i stick to more homemade foods?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Forget Slimfast. It won't teach you how to eat properly. I've only ever found it good for the occasional meal replacement, like breakfast. You're better off just eating real food.

I think you're making the "starting process" out to be more than what it is. It's simple. Eat food. Eat less. Fit the amount of food you eat into your calorie goals.

I worked retail for 8 years. It's not an excuse to eat poorly. On your days off, premake your meals and take them to work with you. You'll probably spend MAYBE an hour in preparation. It's not that bad.

Also, work in lots of fruits and veggies. Eat lean proteins like chicken, pork, fish, etc.

Simple. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    "Not knowing where to begin is a common form of paralysis. Begin anywhere." - John Cage

Don't get overwhelmed by the big picture. Make better food choices and move more. Find activities you like to do. Try new foods. Log your food and decide what kind of substitutions you want to make in your life. This is going to be a long journey, so make realistic changes that you can live with.

Yes, excessive cardio may lead to some muscle loss. So can an excessive calorie deficit. Eat plenty of protein and try to incorporate some strength/resistance training into your day to help maintain your lean muscle mass.
  • hi. im 6'3" 263 lbs. my target weight for the moment is a solid 200lbs with muscle. ive been watching videos and reading up on wieght loss for the past week and i find it very hard to fully impliment this "life style change". i have 2 major questions. 1. most sites and videos say that cardio is the best way to lose fat (weight) but the side effect of to much cardio is to lose muscle as well. is there a proper balance? 2. its hard working retail and things going on in my life right now to make a solid commitment in cooking healthier foods all the time. would it be wiser to start off on something like the slim fast diet or should i stick to more homemade foods?

I would not recommend the Slim Fast diet, I tried it for a week before I started using myfitnesspal and it just leaves you feeling very hungry at the end of the day. I'm not a huge breakfast person just because I never leave myself enough time in the morning to make some food so I will drink a Slim Fast as a breakfast replacement now and then.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Start off easy. Just try to hit your calorie goals starting with about a 500 calorie a day deficit (better if done with homemade foods but not mandatory). Then add some easy cardio about 20 to 30 minutes a day 3 to 4 days a week. This is how I started. Then as you get comfortable you can add more.
  • I agree the slimfast diet won't help you out. Maybe if you need to replace a meal with it once in a blue moon but you shouldn't rely on it to teach you better eating habits. It is hard I am big on convenience too.

My biggest food sin is buying frozen meals (I just ate the last one out of my freezer and I am promising myself I will stop buying them). I totally understand it seems like a lot to take on and it is about taking more time for yourself so yes it will feel like an inconvenience some days. It does get easier though.

Working out for men can be a little different but yes cardio burns fat and if you are not getting enough protein in your diet and your calorie deficeit is too high you can easily lose your muscle.

Check this site out:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/

I am doing all cardio right now but in another two and a half weeks (the end of this week then two more of cardio) I'm going to start adding in my strengthening for toning and muscle.

Oh and I noticed someone said to eat less - a tip don't eat less all day eat more throughout the day just eat less at each meal maybe. If you are watching your calories you will find that will usually naturally come into play. The healthier and more wholesome your food is the more you can have and the more processed and fattening it is the less you can have.

More fiber, more protein and less processed foods...and LOTS of water. You can definitely do this :) I was feeling discouraged just this morning but my mfp friends really gave me a confidence boost. So hopefully I can pass that along since we are already friends on here :)
  • lesley964
    lesley964 Posts: 18 Member
    I read something on a thread recently and to paraphrase, it suggested for those overweight the immediate goal should be to drop weight and not get tied up with increasing muscle, that should be for when you are closer to your goal weight. I think that is quite a sensible suggestion and much easier to motivate yourself and get started. I started one day by just not eating my usual chocolate, and crisps watching TV. That is the only real change that I have made along with substituting roasted vegetables instead of chips and potatoes, so I am eating the same as hubby at mealtimes. I may need to adjust that as I go on but for now I feel great, my clothes are comfortable and I don't fall asleep at 9pm anymore!!!. Biggest challenge overcome was being 240 lbs plus and come out of the changing room in a swimming costume. You can do it...take the plunge
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Start. Just start. Eat what you normally eat just in smaller amounts so you hit your calorie goal without feeling starved or gorged. As you get comfortable you can make changes. I would avoid the Slim Fast diet mainly because unless you intend to drink the shakes forever it's not sustainable.
  • l0ugar0us
    l0ugar0us Posts: 4 Member
    First, unless people are talking about the pure math and science of metabolism, everyone is different. There's no perfect cardio/strength ratio for everyone, and there's no one diet that will fit into everyone's life. (Especially any diet that involves a lot of cooking! The major problem for me is the time it takes at the grocery store to keep all the raw ingredients stocked.) The one thing that works for everyone is to find what YOU like. Find whatever exercise you most enjoy or is most convenient for you. I join social sports leagues in the summer and get Kinect fitness games for the winter. The "right" exercise isn't helpful if you're not going to get out of your house to do it - and mixing in things that are genuinely fun make it easier to keep up with the less enjoyable exercise too. Take some extra time in the grocery store when you can to explore the low calorie options available. Sure, it's best to cook for yourself when you can, but it doesn't help if you regularly blow your calorie limit out of the water because you don't have convenient low-cal options for those days when you don't have the time or the vegetables have gone overripe. I always keep a few frozen skillet meals for those days. It's not as good as grilled chicken and veggies, but it's a whole lot better than the tub of General Tso's a phone call away that usually calls my name.
  • Frkydead
    Frkydead Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for the info. I think im gunna start with cardio to lose the weight first. i will keep everyone posted on how it goes. again ty all. :)