Giving up sugar - help?

Options
Hi all,
I'm getting married in December and would like to lose a bit more weight. I'm happy calorie counting and love my exercise but I think I'll make better progress giving up sugar....I hear its also beneficial for the skin giving up sugar!
So I'd really like some helpful advice....
What is the best way to give up? Cold turkey or wean myself off (if so, over what period)?
Do I give up fruit and natural sugars? (I only found out the other week cucumber is high in sugar - according to MFP)
What snacks do you reccomend for a sugar craving?

Thank you :-) x

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You do not have to give up sugar or anything else, unless you have a medical reason for doing so. Set reasonable goals. Eat at a deficit to lose weight and exercise for fitness.

And congrats on getting married.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Urgh. So random. You could do some research on ketogenic to see if that's what you're looking for.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have had the best luck when I give up refined sugars. This means you will really have to check out labels, but it really helped my weight loss, and yes, my skin too. Plus, I just had more energy.

Since I only gave up refined sugars, I didn't feel like I was missing out on things. I could still have pure maple syrup and honey. I used those quite a bit in baking.

The other bit of advice I would give you is to not give yourself off days, or cheat times. Go in either all or nothing. It is too hard to keep going back and forth, and most people can't do that. Decide you will give up refined sugar, and then do it.

Good luck!
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do not eat refined sugar... weaning down worked best for me...

My FD is open ...

Congrats on the birth of your son and the upcoming wedding
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm getting married in December and would like to lose a bit more weight. I'm happy calorie counting and love my exercise but I think I'll make better progress giving up sugar....I hear its also beneficial for the skin giving up sugar!
    So I'd really like some helpful advice....
    What is the best way to give up? Cold turkey or wean myself off (if so, over what period)?
    Do I give up fruit and natural sugars? (I only found out the other week cucumber is high in sugar - according to MFP)
    What snacks do you reccomend for a sugar craving?

Thank you :-) x

If you want to "give it up", then COLD TURKEY. Rip off that band-aid! If you eat a lot of it, you will crave it for a little while. Then the craving goes away and you'll do fine. Maybe get a couple of sugar free treats to keep on hand.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between refined sugar and natural sugar. Give up the refined sugar like cake, pie, candy, etc.
  • happyhiker83
    Options
    Please don't give up cucumbers and fruit!

I am seriously into sweets and gave them up for Lent one year. By "sweets" I only mean foods with significant amounts of added sugar like candy, cookies, desserts, sugary drinks like cocoa, etc. I did it cold turkey. When I had a sweets craving, I ate some fruit.

It was hard at first, but after about a week or so I realized my intense cravings for sugar had disappeared. After that, it was smooth sailing till Easter. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but in those few weeks, I dropped about five pounds without restricting any other foods or changing my exercise routine. I didn't notice any difference in my skin.

When I did start to eat sweets again, they tasted "too sweet" and I could only tolerate a little bit at a time.

Congrats on your engagement!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    STOP! Don't "try" to stop, don't "cut back" just STOP eating refined sugar. You will be amazed how easily you will get along without it, and how much better you will feel.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. There is no food or macro you need to give up to lose weight. It's all smoke and mirrors. Keep your calories in budget and you will lose weight without all the drama.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    why would you give up sugar? I could never give up sugar... i have no reason to give up sugar...
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you feel that giving up unnecessary sugar is most beneficial to you at this time I suggest going at it cold turkey, and only the refined treat type things. Keep your fruits and veggies. If you want to try and eat lower sugar fruits (ie grannysmith apple over some of the sweeter, and lots of berries) that can help keep it down. But ultimately a happy life includes dessert :)
  • vickij85
    vickij85 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated! It's nice to have more than one opinion on it.
    I've heard lots of success stories with people going 'sugar free', and the benefits of having more energy and clearer skin, so it seems like it would be beneficial for me.
    I'll ditch the refinded sugar, but keep natural sugars in my diet. Cheers guys!
    :-) x