Finally going to put myself first--newbie here!!

Options
Hello everyone! I'm a single mother of a 10 year old daughter. She's wonderful and I'm a lucky mother. The problem is that for the last 8 years I have not taken good care of myself and gained 88 lbs....gulp. I'm 41, almost 42, so being this overweight is totally unacceptable. My daughter is encouraging me and I am finally ready to fully committ to my weight loss and return to my healthy habits of years ago. I welcome any suggestions or support that any of you can send my way. I will also be there for all of you. Thanks for reading and good luck to all on your path.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on your decision to get fit. You sound very determined, and that's great! It also sounds like you've got a very supportive daughter. :) You'll find everyone on this site to be very positive, encouraging and motivating. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. :)

Also, if you're on Facebook, please feel free to check out the group I created over there, called Motivation. Many positive, encouraging people over that way, too! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=268180696780&ref=ts

Best wishes on your fitness journey!

~ Chandra
  • borgi77
    Options
    Good luck, I think just making sure you log everything you eat, even if you have a bad day, then you can see any trends patterns, use the food dairy notes etc I use them, try to do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Try and get as much support as you can from family friends all that stuff, and the thing is don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day as we all do! Good luck, I am sure your going do so well. feel free to add me as friend if you want.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Welcome, my new friend! You will find MFP to be SO helpful. Best wishes, I'm rooting for you! :flowerforyou:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You've found a great place to get you on track. Good Luck!
  • lillie1201
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new too! I have a 10 yr. old too as well as a 6 yr. old and am in the same boat as you- I don't know how I got here but am determined to get out! SO, let's do it! I really want to make a dent in this by New Year's and will encourage whomever wants to join me!!!:smile:

I just joined today too!
  • carlita231
    Options
    You have definitely come to the right place to start your journey! We are here to support you along the way!
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on your decision to get fit! Sounds like you have a wonderful daughter.
    I have many kids myself.
    I have noticed that if I look up healthy recipes it help. I replace ingredients in my favorite foods to get the lowest sodium, carb, and calorie levels possible and most of the time the food still tastes great! I make sure to exercise daily even if it's just scrubbing the house.
    Make sure you get enough sleep and don't eat too few calories. You don't want to starve yourself or get sick. Also, talk with your doctor about any target areas you need to work on. i need to lower my carbs because my blood sugar is too high. My fiance has to lower his sodium intake because his BP is too high. So we combine both. :)
    Eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water.
    There is wonderful support here! :)
    Again...welcome
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi,

That looks pretty much like my story except that for me it's a 8 yrs old son and I had 93 lbs to loose. But you seem really determine so you can do it. Just remember that you have to allow it for some time to come off but it's such a nice feeling to focus on you for a change and see the weight come down.

What worked for me were mini-goals of 10 lbs. and at each of them, there was something I wanted but non food related (massage, new hairdo, new clothes....). Also logging what you eat and drink is key as you realise otherwise that you eat more than you think.

You're going to see that there is a lot of support on this site, so welcome to MFP and to your new lifestyle.

Sylvie.
  • sgirl29
    sgirl29 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP... Congrats on your decision for better health, you've come to the right place. I to have a 10 year old and have not focused too much on me. I'm on the right track now, you can do it to. Good luck, feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. :)
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you here. there is so many great people and lots of motivation here. You're welcome to add me if you'd like some motivation. I'm almost new to this site - today is my 35th day.

Good Luck on your journey - keep me posted on your progress.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - you've come to an amazing place for motivation and support! I've lost 60 some pounds in the past year and a half (unfortunately i didn't find this site til the last 15 pounds I had to lose) but keeping track of my calories and the support on here has really made losing those last few pounds a lot easier and basically changed my life and how I think about food/exercise!! Best of luck reaching your goals and please feel free to add me as a friend for support:)
  • lillie1201
    Options
    You all are so positive- it's great! I'm a bit nervous as I need to lose about 60 lbs- but really think this site will help with it! Thanks everyone!
  • maprotano
    Options
    Wow, what support already!! You all are so wonderful! Thank you all for the very warm welcome here! I'm already inspired by all of you! I made a promise to myself that I will be totally honest with myself on this journey. I am glad I found this community here. It's hard when I am the only one I know that is severely overweight! I am here for all of you as well! Let's all be good to ourselves and reach our goals!