Any way to get over the exercise "shyness"?

Options
One of the main reasons I haven't exercised much in my life is because I get "shy" when people notice me trying to work out (especially running).

I live in Florida, and down here with the beaches and pools, most girls my age just seem to be naturally thin. It embarrasses me that I have to work for it, and I'm still not as thin as they are. If I try to go running, people will look at me, and I'll imagine them making fun of me, calling me fat, or laughing at me because I'm not running fast enough. Because of this, I can only ATTEMPT to run at night on the weekends (school interferes with me trying on weeknights).

Is there any way to get over this shyness? I know that running will really help me to get in shape and get thin, but I can't work up the courage to do it yet.

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Try to remember what you think when you see someone who is a little out of shape (or a lot) running. I admire those people. They're doing something to have a better life. I think most of the time other people are just thinking about themselves anyway. Once you start, you will really enjoy it and stop worrying.
  • jhandur
    jhandur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also do not enjoy working out in front of others. When I can afford it I enroll myself in a fitness class so it sort of forces me to go (I can't stand to waste money). Right now though I am doing calisthenics in my apartment. I just found a few exercise lists online and I do those for 30 minutes a day. Maybe you could get up early to run or try tuning in to your head phones instead of worrying about who might be watching.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just do it. Running is still one of the things that I can be self conscious about. I feel like my *kitten* is all over the place; compression capris help, but I still think about it before every run. It's not going to stop me though. I run slow too, try not to worry so much. People are more concerned about themselves than they are with you.

I am from FL too.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you something.

I was similar to you. I was a self conscious short guy in a wheelchair, and I wanted to run ("wheel" in my case, haha), but I felt like people would stare at me and think awful/nasty things. But you know what I did? I went out there and did it anyway. And guess what? People stared. People stared every single time I went out there. But then something unexpected happened.

One of the people that stared? She stopped me one day, and I was expecting some condescending comment. But she actually told me that she's noticed all these months how I've clearly improved my speed and endurance... as well as my physical appearance. And then to put the icing on the cake, she threw out the "I'm so proud of you" comment. Now, I go out there with so much confidence and don't care about the people who still stare and might judge me.

I still get the occasional a-hole that honks or yells from their car window... but I don't care. Because I'm out there doing something, which they are not. I've also inspired others in my neighborhood to start running too - which makes it all the more worth it to keep it up, because I've inspired others to do something they didn't think possible.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm from FL, too (well, no one is from here) and I personally like seeing thick girls with booty all over the place running...jk (sorta). However, in all reality. For those running with you, at most, we notice a nice looking lady for .2 seconds before we are back to thinking about breathing, pace, etc.

Also, this is about you...it is a time to be selfish. Just focus on you, some good music, and you will be great!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from, but they may not be thinking negative thoughts. When I see someone out running (no matter what their size), I think "Good for you! Keep going!"

Anyone who has tried to run knows how hard it is and is bound to be mentally cheering you on. If they're not, they either aren't runners or are jerks and don't deserve your attention or energy. Do your thing and don't let it worry you.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    Most of those girls are probably not naturally thin, I'm sure a lot of them work out and eat right just like you are doing! Don't worry about what other people are thinking because honestly they are probably not judging you even though they are looking your way. I drive by people running on the road all the time and watch them and all I think is: "Oh they're running".

Just keep making good choices and over time you feel more comfortable with the excising in front of people.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sometimes working with an older group of women will help. Other than that just do it...know one is looking at you or paying attention. They are off in their own little worlds.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're exercising for YOU, no one else. The only things that matters when you're running is how YOU feel and how YOU are taking care of yourself.

Focus on running. Focus on one foot in front of the other. Focus on the parts of exercise that make you happy -- whether it be seeing your improvements or feeling how sore your muscles are (I LOVE that feeling).

Don't compare yourself to others. More likely than not, you're running laps around them anyway. Plus, just because someone is "thin" doesn't mean they're "healthy".
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The best way to get over anxiety is to get out there and do what you're afraid of! The more you avoid it, the scarier it gets and the more exaggerated it is in your head.

Get out there and be proud of yourself! My best friend is naturally as thin as a rail - 6 inches taller than me and 25lbs lighter. Yes, she gets the size zero pants while I'm busting my chubby hump to fit into a size 6, but we all have our own journeys, struggles, and insecurities. Plus I'm stronger and faster, because I have to be fit to be thin!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you something.

I was similar to you. I was a self conscious short guy in a wheelchair, and I wanted to run ("wheel" in my case, haha), but I felt like people would stare at me and think awful/nasty things. But you know what I did? I went out there and did it anyway. And guess what? People stared. People stared every single time I went out there. But then something unexpected happened.

One of the people that stared? She stopped me one day, and I was expecting some condescending comment. But she actually told me that she's noticed all these months how I've clearly improved my speed and endurance... as well as my physical appearance. And then to put the icing on the cake, she threw out the "I'm so proud of you" comment. Now, I go out there with so much confidence and don't care about the people who still stare and might judge me.

I still get the occasional a-hole that honks or yells from their car window... but I don't care. Because I'm out there doing something, which they are not. I've also inspired others in my neighborhood to start running too - which makes it all the more worth it to keep it up, because I've inspired others to do something they didn't think possible.

Inspiring!!!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I haven't exercised much in my life is because I get "shy" when people notice me trying to work out (especially running).

I live in Florida, and down here with the beaches and pools, most girls my age just seem to be naturally thin. It embarrasses me that I have to work for it, and I'm still not as thin as they are. If I try to go running, people will look at me, and I'll imagine them making fun of me, calling me fat, or laughing at me because I'm not running fast enough. Because of this, I can only ATTEMPT to run at night on the weekends (school interferes with me trying on weeknights).

Is there any way to get over this shyness? I know that running will really help me to get in shape and get thin, but I can't work up the courage to do it yet.

You just gotta DO IT. The heck with whatever other people think. I am short and fat and jiggly...and somewhat notorious at my gym! I have regulars coming up to me telling me they have noticed how hard I work ( especially with my trainer), and that they can see how my body is changing and how great I look. Last week I had a lady approach me and ask me about a new piece of equipment because I "have tried everything in here" :bigsmile: The funny thing is, she asked ME instead of my trainer who was standing right there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Is running your only option? There are lots of other things you can do that won't put you out there in "public".
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Is running your only option? There are lots of other things you can do that won't put you out there in "public".

Exactly. Try something at home first. I do Zumba everyday in the privacy in my home and I do it at my own pace. I have been very successful at it as well. You don't have to be in public if you don't want to.