Coca Cola Defends Aspartame

Options
exohglo
exohglo Posts: 49 Member
Coca Cola is about to launch a campaign defending Aspartame and the use of artificial sweeteners in diet pop or soda for my American friends :)

Here's a link to the article I just read about it: http://metronews.ca/health/765424/coca-cola-to-defend-safety-of-aspartame-in-new-ad/

What's your view on diet pop? Do you drink it? Do you think DIET pop has an effect on weight gain / loss??

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I stand steadfast in my belief that 0 calorie drinks have no effect on my weight loss or gain. If they did then water would have the same effect.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda--cherry diet pepsi, cherry zero.

I don't think it has helped or hurt my weight loss. Trying to give it up because I am tired of caffeine withdrawal headaches though! Switching to flavored water.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You know why that is because America, Coke's biggest consumer, has drastically cut down on their consumption of diet and regular soda.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    For the last time, Diet Coke is the nectar of the Gods, and I don't care what is or isn't in it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Drink 2 or 3 Diet Pepsi's a day and have lost a few pounds... The amount of aspartame you would have to ingest before it became an issue is way more than I would ever drink in a day (for me it would be 20+ cans a day for an extended period of time) so I will continue to enjoy it and drink my 100+ ounce of water a day..... Best of Luck
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good for Coke. I love diet soda, drink one pretty much every day, sometimes more. Moderation's always a good thing, but cutting out 30-40 grams of sugar in just one beverage is pretty amazing :drinker:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    For the last time, Diet Coke is the nectar of the Gods, and I don't care what is or isn't in it.

QFT
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Defending aspartame is not gonna change the fact the soda (or pop, coke, soft drinks, whatever youcall it) is icky.

i'll have water please!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. I think it helps my weight loss because it keeps me from eating or drinking something that has calories when I want something sweet.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    They can defend it until they are blue in the face. Aspartame only means two things for me, instant throbbing headache and horrific nausea. If I accidentally eat or drink something with aspartame in it it can knock me on my *kitten* for a couple of hours of feeling like complete crap.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Have drank diet soda for 25+ years now in moderation. And ain't stopping now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I <3 Aspartame, I'd take it in a drip if it was the only way I could have Pepsi Max.
  • FrayaLace
    Options
    I drink Zevia or Blue sky zero, both of which are sweetened with stivia and total out at 0 calories. I highly recommend both of them.

I try not to have aspartame, although its in a hell of a lot more then just diet coke products, but every now and then I cave.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I love Diet Coke but what pisses me off is where I live they are just selling the 20 pack instead of the 24 pack for $1 less. I, of course still pay for it because I love it dammit!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    IN
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty certain I started drinking Diet coke when it first came out because the taste beat the heck out of any soda out there aside from Nu-Grape which is just too freaking sickly sweet to drink very often.

As to the ad campaign, I kind of think it's a waste of their time and money. It's going to take more than advertising to sway the public from their views.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I lost so much weight when I kicked the soda habit. Lost even more when I ditch diet soda. I also stopped getting migraines as much as I had.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Eh. A diet lemon-lime goes well with a good vodka if you run out of lime juice for a gimlet.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I drink Zevia or Blue sky zero, both of which are sweetened with stivia and total out at 0 calories. I highly recommend both of them.

I try not to have aspartame, although its in a hell of a lot more then just diet coke products, but every now and then I cave.

Ditto here. Zevia Cherry Cola hits the spot and has ZERO guilt or aspartame. I find the artificial sweetener ones too sweet now.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I generally don't drink soda at all. Sometimes I might get some if we go out, but generally not.