Looking to join the military

Options
Alright friends, I may need your help. A little background..I grew up in a military home. My family has always been active in the military all the way back to my great grandparents, so It's just in my blood. I was planning on joining the Air Force right out of high school but was about 15lbs overweight. I started an extremely strict diet of eating nothing but steamed veggies, brown rice, and lentils. Every meal, every day. I lost around 10lbs in a week and a half, but then started eating regular and gained it all back (plus some), so I basically just gave up. Ever since then, its always been in the back of my mind..I always felt like I let my dad down, and I was just ashamed for giving up so easy.
Here recently I've started looking into it again (my brother is joining, he leaves for basic in a few weeks...proud big sister right here!). I talked to my boyfriend about it and he is extremely supportive, that's a huge relief. This time I'm only 4 (4.4 to be exact)lbs overweight and feel it's much more attainable. That being said...I'm aware that I need to focus on getting into shape, reduce the time on my runs, and definitely start working on pushups.

Right now I average a 15-16min mile, but I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 16 mins (this is the bare minimum..I believe in order to graduate its an 1.5 miles in 11 or 12mins). I know that I should focus on longer runs to build endurance first, then can start trying to up my speed.

The sit ups are no problem..I have to do 38 in one minute, but I can out-sit up anyone I know.

Now here's where it gets tough..the pushups. I need to do 21 in one minute, but right now I can't even do one full pushup. This is where I need your help. Does anyone know of any good exercise routines that will help me with this? I don't have access to a gym, and I don't have any kind of weights at home. I do, however, have access to a playground with a jungle gym lol. I'm thinking maybe start working on pull ups would help too.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And these are the minimums..not graduation standards. I just want to get ahead so I'm not the person getting yelled at because she can't do a pushup. I'm meeting with my recruiter later this week to weigh in and take a practice ASVAB, so I still have awhile before the process really starts. I just figure its better to start working on this now so I'm not pressed for time and end up injuring myself.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    IDK about what physical qualifications you need to actually enter AF basic training. Pretty sure it might just be being able to stand upright. With that said, you should ask your recruitier what the minimums for entering are. I know that you can't get into Army basic without performing 10 pushups.

Don't worry about the run. They will fix that in however many weeks.

To get better at push-ups, you need to do push-ups. Start with alternate form pushups (knees, incline, etc). Before you leave for basic, if you need to do 21 to graduate and can't do 1 now, you should aim for being able to do 5-10 in one set, and really should make sure you can do 21 per day.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Former Navy Officer here. I'll cut right to it:

Run. Run some more. When you are tired, run again. Rinse, repeat. Seriously though, this is 90% true. You don't have to be Usain Bolt fast, but building endurance is something anyone without injuries CAN do if you put your mind to it.

Pushups: Start with "girl pushups" on your knees. Do what are called "pyramid" workouts. For example, do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. If that's not challenging enough for you to the point of muscle failure, increase the reps. Once you get good at those, do "guy pushups" on your toes.

Don't drink anything but water, and start now.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I agree with Zack, keep practicing your running, pushups and sit-ups. Don't worry about entering basic training over-weight, more than likely you will drop weight during basic training. A lot of people aren't in the best of shape when the enter basic training but their conditioning improves immensely when they finish.
  • Onetwo_bre
    Onetwo_bre Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, and thank you for sharing! I am also training to join the Air Force :]

I am a little bit more overweight at 10 lbs, but have begun training to increase my fitness level. I actually use many iphone apps to help me (which I have notices seem to be working) . I have downloaded a running app, a sit-up app, a push-up app and a squat app (just for funsies). I also do ballet 1-2 times a week on top of all of this.

If you want any support, or just want to know someone is there suffering through push-ups with you, feel free to add or contact me!
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Air Force currently. If you would like advice on how to increase your run time/push ups/sit ups, please let me know.

I work in the medical standards side of things, so I can give you exact numbers.
  • lishaalexis
    lishaalexis Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Former Navy Officer here. I'll cut right to it:

Run. Run some more. When you are tired, run again. Rinse, repeat. Seriously though, this is 90% true. You don't have to be Usain Bolt fast, but building endurance is something anyone without injuries CAN do if you put your mind to it.

Pushups: Start with "girl pushups" on your knees. Do what are called "pyramid" workouts. For example, do 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. If that's not challenging enough for you to the point of muscle failure, increase the reps. Once you get good at those, do "guy pushups" on your toes.

Don't drink anything but water, and start now.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I am a Navy 3rd class petty officer! I second what this former officer said, well put sir! Run and run and then when you can't run anymore, run some more. Right now to increase my sit up score I am doing a 30 day sit up challenge and then next month I am going to do a push up challenge. You have to set goals...boot camp will help out a lot, BUT the better prepared you go in the less you will struggles (like me). I am still working on my running. I am a little over three months after major surgery and I have a PRT in about 7 weeks so I am running more, but I may choose a different event for my cardio portion. Just talk to your recruiter. Ask them to work with you like 2-3 times a week and usually they are more than willing to help you out. Have them do mock PRT test so you can see your improvement. It takes a lot of hard work!
  • DempseyWRX
    DempseyWRX Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here is a link I think you will appreciate. It has dozens of workout routines, figures, dieting plans, and strategies for health in general but also for hitting your marks before leaving for basic. This will leave you with a large amount of information to peruse at your convenience in addition to first hand advice given by the officers above.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    My husband used this site before he left to AF basic:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/test.html#sthash.cjuH4uJI.dpbs
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the Air Force and 16 minutes is the minimum but not until the end of basic training. Guys have to run it under 12.5 minutes and women have to do under 16 I believe. My husband went from barely being able to run 1.5 miles to running it in under 10 minutes at his peak fitness. You don't have to go into it being able to do push ups, but what the others have said will work since you do have a few pounds to lose anyway.

Best of luck to you! My husband and brother are both Air Force and it can definitely be a good thing :)
  • blt0087
    blt0087 Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I'm doing insanity right now and seems to be helping. I could only do two "moving push ups" on my first fit test, I did my second one yesterday and did ten. So my upper body strength is comin back, slowlyyyy but surely. I have yet to try a full push up, but I'm gonna ditch the girl push ups tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice!
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You seem to be going on the right track! 1.5 miles isnt very long, so when your training for running, run the 1.5 as fast as possible, its nice to be able to run a 5k slowly, but that would hurt your 1.5 time. I have another PT test coming up this Monday... :sad:
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found the 100 push-ups program to be very effective for push-ups, although it definitely overestimates the rate and which someone improves (at least for me). But what it's good at is giving you a daily push-up routine that pushes you to the limit of your current ability. If you can do five or so regular push-ups, you can do enough to start the program.

I also recommend that when training push-ups, you make them full range of motion until your chest touches the ground, even though your requirement for a PT test will probably be upper arms parallel to the ground. A lot of people tend to think they're parallel long before they are, so if you get used to doing them all the way down, you will be more than good when it comes time to get tested.

I think you will find that once you begin doing push-ups on a daily basis, you will begin to improve rapidly. Good luck!
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the Air Force, I have been in for a little over four years now. You will not be expected to reach those goals until the final physical training test in basic training. You are not far from the requirements and I am sure that you will be able to reach that goal by the end of 8 weeks in basic training. You will be required to workout daily and they will not let you quit, so if you are motivated you can do it. It is beneficial to workout prior to basic training. My recruiter set up workout days for me to keep me on track. When I first went to basic my run time for 1.5 miles was a little over 14 minutes, when I graduated I completed my run in less than 11 minutes. Losing four pounds should be fairly easy if you just stick to it.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    As far as pushup go I'd suggest finding a stairwell and doing the pushups with your feet on the ground and your hands on one of the stairs over the girl pushups. Once you get to the point of completing 2 or 3 sets of 10 on one stair move your hands to a lower stair on the next workout and progrss from there until you have both your hands and feet on the floor. The biggest difference between these and girl pushups is that you are using the stabilizing muscles in your core (which you will have to use for regular pushups) which may help you with your running as well.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Get in shape to do what you are required to do BEFORE you start. It sucks being the slowest runner or the person who can't do the requirements when everybody else is there waiting for you because YOU can't do it. Don't wait until you join to do minimal standards.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the Air Force basic training!! For push-ups, those are just something your body has to be built to do. Id start with the push-ups on the knees, and then after about two weeks I'd change it. Every two days you should do those knees push-ups until failure. This will get those muscle ready for the next step and your body will adjust for whats coming. I would think about sets when your doing the knee push ups. Do as many as you can at first. So if its 20 then do 15 three or four times. This is the way I built my pull ups from the Marines, cause little do people know you also use back muscle for pull ups and push ups can help. I went from 11 pulls ups to 18/19 in a month. I wish you luck, and God Bless.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Get in shape to do what you are required to do BEFORE you start. It sucks being the slowest runner or the person who can't do the requirements when everybody else is there waiting for you because YOU can't do it. Don't wait until you join to do minimal standards.

^^^^THIS!!!!

Boot camp is tough. It's even tougher for those that use it as time to develop further physically. If you come in at least AVERAGE, you won't be a *kitten* screen amongst your peers...

Trust me on this one, you do NOT want to draw attention based on inability to do your PT at average levels. Otherwise, your D.I.'s will ensure that you get in shape, and it will NOT be fun.
  • bspang24
    bspang24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have any questions please let me know... I've been in the AIr Force for about four years now too. I was worried that I would weigh too much too, but ended up coming in about 12 lbs under the max... so that was good. I basically didn't eat for a few days before. Not the healthiest way, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to screw up going to BMT.

Also, you want to start doing as many pushups as you can and as many situps as you can. You also need to start running. It doesn't really matter how fast you run, just be able to run consecutively for 30 mins straight. Otherwise it's going to be extremely hard when you first get there. They will make you be FASTER over time. But you don't need to be speedy right away. I recommend something like the C25k plan. I never really ran just for fun before I started thinking about joining the military and now it's my primary exercise:)

Pushups are a pain in the butt. Still are.
  • bspang24
    bspang24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Minimums are 38 situps, 18 pushups, and 15ish min mile and a half. I don't know if this still stands. You do not want the minimum though.