How long did it take to lose the first 15?

Options
I am 38, 5'7" 198 pounds. I am a fat mom to five working on becoming a fit mom to five. I definitely have an athletic build. I am working out at least 5 times a week....spinning, boot camp, power (lifting) class, kick class, etc......I count my calories and am making better food choices.....I do not cheat. Even if it is chocolate I log it.....I stay around 1,200 calories per day.

I started July 5th........Now on August 13th I hover between a 5-7 pounds loss.

While I AM NOT GOING TO STOP!!!!!!! I would like to hear about other people's experience on when they loss their first 15. It is my first goal. I do realize that the 50 pounds I want to lose won't come off overnight...I would like to see the scale move.

Please share your story with me....

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and started at 218 at the beginning of June. I'm only now hitting the 15 lb mark. I'm netting about 1600 cals/day and exercising 6 days a week.
  • katarina236
    katarina236 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It took me almost a full three months to loose 15 pounds. I find that I average about five pounds a month. In the beginning it can be frustrating because it seems like it is taking forever. But I have been doing this since January and have lost nearly 40 pounds now! Keep it up because all those little numbers will soon add up!
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am still working on the first 15 myself. I think the biggest part of my journey has been my research. I am happy to say that after gaining even a slight knowledge of what I refer to as "the balance," I am starting to lose something even better than weight... I am losing inches. Now that I log my foods, even if I have a "bad" day, I know where I went wrong and it helps me make smarter decisions for tomorrow. This at the very least has helped me staying on track and not give up over one day of binging, which I would've done before. There is that whole saying ending in it 'takes family and friends 12 weeks to notice...' or whatever, well I received my first compliment on the way my weight is being carried yesterday and that feels so good. :)

@iublondie25 In my humble opinion, it kind of sounds like you are not fueling your body enough. I am only saying so based on your stats and my VERY basic knowledge of TDEE. I am sure you are making great eating choice and log everything because you sound like you are on a mission, but (and I hate to throw it out there) starvation mode is real and I think you may want to consider research. As mentioned above and in my opinion, weight loss is finding a balance between fuel input and output. As your body changes, the balance will too. Currently, I am about 240 and 5'6" and am eating about 1590 cal (about a 700 cal deficit) each day plus working out 3X a week. Even with that, I am still experiencing slow but gradual weight loss and even better, losing inches. I just know that it really helped me to look into and thought it would do you some good too.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I started this as a New Year's resolution, and passed 15 lbs lost on April 12th, so 4-1/2 months. I'm a 60 year old male, 6 ft tall, and I've averaged eating 2470 Calories a day this year, but it was more like 2400/day in the first half, and 2540 in the second half. Year-to-date I've lost 26 lbs, but I've really intentionally slowed it down over the last few months as I approached goal weight. I'm currently at 179 lbs.

Many people on the 1200 calorie/day plan as you are, find that their weight loss stalls out at some point. Maybe you should try eating at TDEE minus 500 calories, and get a sustainable 1 lb/week loss going. PM me if you need help figuring out your TDEE.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 38, 5'7" 198 pounds. I am a fat mom to five working on becoming a fit mom to five. I definitely have an athletic build. I am working out at least 5 times a week....spinning, boot camp, power (lifting) class, kick class, etc......I count my calories and am making better food choices.....I do not cheat. Even if it is chocolate I log it.....I stay around 1,200 calories per day.

I started July 5th........Now on August 13th I hover between a 5-7 pounds loss.

While I AM NOT GOING TO STOP!!!!!!! I would like to hear about other people's experience on when they loss their first 15. It is my first goal. I do realize that the 50 pounds I want to lose won't come off overnight...I would like to see the scale move.

Please share your story with me....

Hi there,

I started at 181 in Jan... I was at 198 two years ago after my 3rd baby but over the coars of a year I got down to 181... then I started Mfp. I too did the 1200 cals a day if that for about 3 months 2 of those months I started working out 5-6 times a week TONS of cardio probably 7-10 of cardio... Anyhow I lost about 15 lbs in those three months then came to a hault... I am now on month 9 but have done a ton of research and realized I need to eat WAY more than I had been.

1. While losing weight you don't have to starve...
    2. U need to use weights!!! Lift Heavy!
    3. Fuel your body... I am now in the stage of restoring my damaged metabolism... I am floating around 160, but I have like you an athletic build and at 5'3 no one ever believes me that I weigh as much as I do. I am okay with this, I focus more on how my clothes are shrinking along with my monthly pics! That shows me way more than the scale. I can't lie I still Hate getting weighed. My UGW is 145ish... I think I would look awesome here and be able to complete more of my fitness goals at this weight.
    4. Eat more protein... I shoot for 140g of protein daily... I don't always hit it, but I think this will help muscle recovery faster.
    5. of course drink your water! I drink at least 3 liters a day... I eat my cals not drink them :o)

Check out this link http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    plug in your numbers and slowly work up to eating that much daily... You are under eating so much I think your body is like I am not going to starve so its holding on to everything... Keep going and keep researching!!!

We want a lifestyle change not just to lose the weight!!!
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I started on July 1, haven't made 15 yet but maybe next week weigh in I will.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Between week 6 and 7.

Here's sort of a breakdown for my loss that I've been keeping track:

week 1 June 10-17 6.6lbs lost
    Week 3 June 24-30 2.6lbs lost
    week 4 July 1-7 1.2lbs lost
    week 5 July 8-14 1.4 lbs lost
    week 6 July 15-21 1.2 lbs lost
    week 7 July 22-28 2.2 lbs lost
    week 8 July 29-Aug 4 1.6 lbs lost
    week 9 Aug 5-11 1.6 lbs lost
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", I started at 172lbs in the middle of June, I've logged for 65 days and have lost 9.5lbs netting 1390-1450 calories a day and Grossing about 1700-1850 calories most days. This also includes going over my maintenance calories two days in July for my anniversary and a Friday a few weeks ago when I ate an entire large garden fresh pizza from papa johns, oops.

The scale didn't move last week so I'm anticipating a near 2lb drop at the end of this week making my loss around 11.5lbs.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    90-95 days. I've been averaging 1650+, I lift heavy 3 days a week and dink about with cardio 2-3 days. I'm 5' 3" and 149 right now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I lost about a pound per week (sometimes a tiny bit more) until I increased my calories as I approached my goal weight-- now I'm trying for half a pound per week.

So for 15 lbs that would have been around 3 1/2 months.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    70 days I think give or take. I started 189 and now 171ish.
  • iublondie25
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do eat lots of protein and veggies. I do drink lots of water or calorie free drinks. I limit carbs....but I do eat them. I am also limited fats but not eliminating them.

I also was thinking maybe this is due to my IUD? I was going to get it out this year anyway and do something permanent...so I think I will do that sooner then later.

I do see that I am much stronger...and have more muscle definition. I also do lift heavy. I can curl 30's weights...LOL

Thanks!
    Marcie
  • curlyloca
    curlyloca Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Four months with a lot of trial and error. I eat about 2000 calories a day. Exercise 3-4 times a week.
  • glocke12
    glocke12 Posts: 21
    Options
    Probably about 60 days for me...Id say ten pounds was lost during the past 5 weeks.

A couple of key things I have found that work for me is that during exercise you need to push yourself as hard, or harder as you can. Also, switching up your exercise routine helps also..I'll randomly switch my workouts around so that one week I will focus on weight training, another week cardio, another week HIIT, etc...It keeps your body guessing and does not allow it to get used to a specific routine.

Food wise, its good to switch that around also...
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    a few months
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Water weight I lost 15 in the first 2 weeks, ans have been 3lb a week since. Eat more if you're active. Let MFP set your goal based on a weekly goal a d eat back some if. Ot all of your exercise calories. It feels good to eat and lose weight and your body will recover so much faster.
  • Krysbottom
    Krysbottom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't get too discouraged! Muscle weighs more than fat and if you are doing strength training as well, the scale won't be able to tell you the fat loss without telling you the muscle gained. Do body measurements. Or go to your gym and get a body fat percentage test done. You're doing a great job it sounds like! Keep at it and just keep trying on that pair of jeans you've been wanting to fit into! :) I'm so done with the scale. My measurements are decreasing monthly but my weight lingers around the same. Just keep doing strength training with your cardio so the muscle will help you burn that fat. You'll reach your goals! :)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8 in 17 days, but I haven't been exercising (no muscles here). I think it's mostly water weight...
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Still working on the first 15! Started towards the end July though, so I don't see it happening this month.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6, I was 204 June 1st, then achieved an 15 pound loss by August 7th.

Hehe, went on a 6 day trip to London with a friend, came back,
    Only gained back A POUND!!!!! YES!!!!

I expected to gain a whole lot more, believe me!
    It pays to LIFT HEAVY!
    Muscle burns calories like crazy!