When do you buy new clothes?

Options
Serious question. I'm down almost 35 pounds. My pants wont stay up. But I still have 20 to go. Why waste money on pants now, when they hopefully wont fit in 2-3 months.

Replies

• ferdarlene
    ferdarlene Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me so i went shopping at value village, a second hand thrift store.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Why waste money on pants now, when they hopefully wont fit in 2-3 months.

Because in most places running around naked is illegal? LOL

You can always find something at the consignment shops, thrift stores or yard sales to get you through for the last size or two.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    Belts? Second hand stores?
  • seggera88
    seggera88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, and I just bought 1 pair of work pants and 1 pair of jeans and was able to get through until I evened out. It was a little weird to wear the same pants all the time but worth not wasting money. Black pants are so generic, most people don't even notice btw.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    Good question, haha. People are telling me it's time. Had to give away most of my "nice" clothing due to it being inappropriate to wear in public. Been reluctant to purchase anything new though since I've still got a long way to go. Will be paying a visit to the thrift store in the mean time, I suppose.
  • GlametteBaby
    Options
    I buy stretch fabric clothes in generic sizes and wear loads of skirts. I haven't worn pants in one year. :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I'm certain along the way I have wasted on new stuff, too
    often but have stopped. I'm not planning to buy anything
    else until Black Friday.Even then, a limited quantity. I have
    more to lose still but with winter coming .. layering and draw
    string sweats will work. lol I just want to wait and quit filling
    my side of the close w/ temporary threads. :)
  • bethanyfranco1
    Options
    Belts? Second hand stores?

^this is how I do it
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Serious question. I'm down almost 35 pounds. My pants wont stay up. But I still have 20 to go. Why waste money on pants now, when they hopefully wont fit in 2-3 months.
    Get a few pieces that you love - shop at old navy, Marshalls, TJ Maxx to save money. You deserve it.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like the 1 pair of black work pants idea. I work in an office, so they dont get too dirty. I can wear them two days in a row just for work then wash them.
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I dropped 41 pounds two years ago. At my half-way point, I bought two pairs of jeans, just to get me by. I didn't go nuts and buy all new stuff until I reached my goal.

I have since "found" 20 of those 41 pounds that I lost, so my new clothes are a bit snug. :) All the more reason for me to get back at this so the new stuff I bought will look right on me again.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I recently had to break down and buy a pair of jeans and a pair of black pants. I'm almost to my goal and so ready to buy a new wardrobe!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would get a couple intermediate, quasi generic pieces of clothes if you can afford it. Not expensive stuff, but a couple things to tide you over. For me it would be black work pants, a pair of khakis, and a pair of jeans. Tops you can get away with a lot longer and layer.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    On my way down I called my sister's the were smaller ( from sizes 18 down to size 14) i have 5 sister's
    so I did not buy till I was down to size 8! It worked really well for me.
    Now I am size 4.
    Nothing wrong with hand-me-downs.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    New clothes are a great motivator. When you look good, you feel good and you want to look and feel better.

I go to thrift stores or stores like Ross Dress for Less to buy a few cheap items to get by on until I'm where I need to be.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your best friend! I made the huge mistake of losing weight veeeerryy gradually (like, over eight years), so I have tons of clothes I bought over the years that no longer fit me. It's not a total loss, though, because I plan to keep the nicer dresses in sizes 6-8 for maternity clothing when I (hopefully) will need it one day.
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I buy my clothes at the thrift store for now until I get to my goal weight. No sense in buying brand new clothes that you will only be able to wear for a little while!
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    leggings fit at almost any size or get those clip on jean buttons from walmart
  • jurgie18
    jurgie18 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Go to a tailor if its something you really like. That's what I do for my dresses.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I get rid of clothes that are too big as soon as they don't fit, I don't want an excuse for them to fit again. Until I'm at my goal I've been buying clothes that arent investment piece but will hold me over (my favourite is when I get email coupons for The Gap Outlet)