Coca Cola Defends Aspartame

Options

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Basically, TL;DR - It's considered safe as long as you're not getting more than about 20 cans of diet pop a day and all current peer-reviewed science supports that conclusion and more is piling up constantly in support of that conclusion.

All current peer reviewed science?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8373935
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7936222

Because something isn't carcinogenic or genotoxic doesn't mean that it can't cause issues with some people.

I drink quite a bit of it, and you'll pry it from my cold, dead hands, but you're overselling your position.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life, I am now starting to have concerns about aspartame...

if you rearrange the letters in "aspartame", they spell out "paul is dead".

coincidence???

220px-Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my life, I am now starting to have concerns about aspartame...

if you rearrange the letters in "aspartame", they spell "paul is dead".

coincidence???

Smart *kitten*.
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    Splenda gives me a nasty headache, still prefer asaprtame, although I hardly use it.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    For the last time, Diet Coke is the nectar of the Gods, and I don't care what is or isn't in it.

Love it! I've been drinking DC since its creation on the 80s.
  • xDawnsgrace
    Options
    i enjoy soda. I do not enjoy the calories in normal soda. You form your own opinion on this.
  • ecbuckteef
    ecbuckteef Posts: 3 Member
    Options

if you rearrange the letters in "aspartame", they spell out "paul is dead".

coincidence???

this is hands down the best reason i've ever heard to stop consuming aspartame.
  • kjmiller_15
    kjmiller_15 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    it doesnt even matter.....All Soda is bad for you. The carbonation alone. In one of my classes we did a science project and poured the soda on something in a vehicle that was eroded. And the coke actually ate the erosion off right there. What do you think it does to your insides if it eats away eroded rust off of metal? Cant be good
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Basically, TL;DR - It's considered safe as long as you're not getting more than about 20 cans of diet pop a day and all current peer-reviewed science supports that conclusion and more is piling up constantly in support of that conclusion.

All current peer reviewed science?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8373935
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7936222

Because something isn't carcinogenic or genotoxic doesn't mean that it can't cause issues with some people.

I drink quite a bit of it, and you'll pry it from my cold, dead hands, but you're overselling your position.

So you post the same studies that you posted in another thread pertaining to aspartame and even said yourself that these studies do not represent causation?

Geezus.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    4 oz of chicken breast contain as much active ingredients of aspartame as a 24 pack of diet soda.

Some people may have allergic reactions. Some people also have allergic reactions to strawberries, shellfish, and peanuts. . Nobody goes around calling strawberries, shellfish, or peanuts poison. Neither is aspartame.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    For the last time, Diet Coke is the nectar of the Gods, and I don't care what is or isn't in it.

Love it! I've been drinking DC since its creation on the 80s.

I also drink a ton of water...I drink coffee, tea, wine, martinis and the occasional glass of milk...non-fat of course.
  • JoyTH
    JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking diet coke for almost 35 years. I love the stuff, actually diet mountain dew is a favorite! However,
    when it comes to weight loss at this age, drinking diet soda doesn't help, if makes me hungry, and keeps me
    bloated...been getting head aches,...do better w/o aspartame, am hoping we don't find out in the future how it
    causes alzheimers, my short term memory seems pretty lost.....still drink it, but am always trying to stop...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    it doesnt even matter.....All Soda is bad for you. The carbonation alone. In one of my classes we did a science project and poured the soda on something in a vehicle that was eroded. And the coke actually ate the erosion off right there. What do you think it does to your insides if it eats away eroded rust off of metal? Cant be good
    Hahahahahaha

Do you have any idea what your stomach acid would do to corroded metal on a car engine? Clean the corrosion off really quickly. As would oranges, lemons, limes, plums, peaches, apple cider vinegar, and every other acidic food out there.

That experiment has nothing to do with carbonation, and everything to do with acidity. Everything I just mentioned is far more acidic than soda. Soda does absolutely nothing to your insides, since the acid in your stomach is far stronger than the soda.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I stand steadfast in my belief that 0 calorie drinks have no effect on my weight loss or gain. If they did then water would have the same effect.

BUT THE TOXINZ ARE TRICKING YOUR BODY INTO EXPECTING SUGAR AND STORING EXTRA FATZ

I'm just going to assume the caps and spelling indicate you're mock quoting what a lot of people erroneously claim...
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options

Luckily, I'm not a Cyberman or an Auton, and I no longer have any metal fillings. If a similar chunk of metal (a control) was regularly covered with WD40 rather than being allowed to rust, would you have instead concluded drinking soda is safe if you consume WD40 first? Probably not. Ever seen potassium explode when combined with water? Not stopping me from eating bananas.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Luckily, I'm not a Cyberman or an Auton, and I no longer have any metal fillings. If a similar chunk of metal (a control) was regularly covered with WD40 rather than being allowed to rust, would you have instead concluded drinking soda is safe if you consume WD40 first? Probably not. Ever seen potassium explode when combined with water? Not stopping me from eating bananas.

hahahaha... too true
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Aspartame's probably the most studied artificial sweeteners in existence. FDA still thinks it's safe, scientists still think it's safe, but there's still fringe websites out there talking about the "toxins." This is one crazy I've gotten tired of trying to stamp out.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bump because I want to follow this thread.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I clean rust off of things with lemon juice. Best stop drinking lemonade.

Also you have a sac of acid strong enough to break down meat churning inside of you and yet soda scares you?