New to swimming for weight loss

Options
Okay, so I am trying to start swimming for tightening of my muscles and weight loss. I've realized that I am not a great swimmer, but I enjoy it and after tonight I realize its a wonderful work out. I swam 10 or 11 laps tonight and I know that isn't a lot, but it is a start. I'm a slow swimmer and I'm not good at timing my breathing so that is my question. I mostly swim breaststroke and I'm wondering if any swimmers have tips on when to breathe exactly. I was trying to be under the water for two stroked (breathe out) surface and breathe in and back under. Also how many laps do you do a day now? And when you started?

...I realllllllllly hope this helps transform my body. I have almost ZERO core body strength & I want to change that, lose fat and tone up.

Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• healthyloserxxx
    Options
    Hi! I am 65 yrs young, quite different from you! About 10 yrs ago I moved to Florida and had NO swimming stamina. I got some styrofoam water weights and would just do jumping jacks, etc. using them and sometimes used them to hold me up swimming.
    Anyway I have now progressed to swimming, albeit just the breast stroke or 'the frog', head above water..but I have the strength to
    swim and exercise forever...usually do 1-1.5 hours. I am on no medication, need to lose some weight. I have put a stop to all the
    'eating out' my significant other likes. That is helping, but mostly..I have no aches or pains and my swimming gives me such energy. One day I will get the breathing down since I would like to 'really swim'. Keep with it..it will all come together...it is the BEST exercise!!
  • brianc410
    brianc410 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Many people who go to the gym to weight train usually go with someone who knows what they're doing, they pay someone to coach them to get the moves down, or they waste lots of time trying to figure it out on their own.

If you want to maximize your workouts, you may want to get a couple of swim lessons. They're not just for kids. For like $100 you can get a couple one on one sessions and then be set.
  • karlahere
    karlahere Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hmm, a trick I learned from my teacher was to voluntarily hyperventilate before running laps. This was when we were training for our speed run at the end of the semester. I was able to extend my breaths during the front crawl, and got really good times, but it increases the risk for shallow water blackouts. I guess if you're swimming breaststroke, extended breathing's not a problem.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Not sure if this is the best video, but it does show it. Don't worry about the push off from the wall. You don't need to stay under for very long. Watching a video was how I FINALLY got the stroke down when I was training to be a swim teacher. Watch frame by frame if you need to, over and over.

Basically, you are making a heart with your hands as you pull on the outside. Your hands will come around and push down when at about your breast so that it pushes you up and out of the water. Then your palms come together and go back up to the point of the heart.

Legs are more difficult for me - the reason I needed to watch the video. Your heals come up toward your rear end, knees are kind of together, then you whip them out and around, and glide some. The glide comes at (I think) the same time as your hands are going up to the tip of the heart. But watch some videos.

If you aren't getting enough to breath, but like how the stroke works your body, do the elementary back stroke instead. With your face up you can breath better, and the legs are basically the same kick. When I do laps (not recently, need to join a pool,) I like to alternate between crawl, breast, back crawl, elementary back and side stroke, each side. I have even done kickboards and just my arms for strokes. (Worked great when I pregnant and had extra buoyancy! )
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to swim competitively in high school and still enjoy it for a cross-training day workout. For breaststroke, I (and most swimmers) breathe every stroke, then duck head down and extend your arms and legs out as you frog kick to propel your body forward in a streamline motion. YouTube olympic breast stroke swimmers to see their technique.

For freestyle, I breathe every 3rd stroke so I'm switching sides to breathe each time. Breathe left side, 1 stroke, 2 stroke, 3 stroke, breathe right side. This technique ensures that you don't develop stronger muscles on one side more than other b/c some people like to only breathe on one side or they swim too fast and need to breathe every stroke --- but I was instructed by coaches that you should train to breathe on each side - plus you swim in a straighter line doing it this way.

Really swimming is not only building your muscles and cardio endurance, but your lung capacity as well. So don't feel like you're too short of breath. In the beginning, everyone feels short of breath. As you train more and more, your lung capacity gets bigger too.
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When first getting started, you want to breathe more often than you might later on. For the breaststroke, since you mention that's your primary stroke at this time, I recommend lifting the head and inhaling every time you pull your arms back, and then exhale slowly through the nose during the glide and kick. If you find you're having unexpected challenges pulling together a really fluid stroke, you could also start with "rescue breaststroke" where you actually keep your head above water continuously, so breathing is then whenever you want. (One of the strokes used to keep an eye on a swimmer or where the swimmer was last seen while approaching them to provide assistance.)

Once you have developed a bit smoother of a stroke, your pulmonary capacity can catch up to your oxygen demand easier, and that is a better time to start skipping breaths. Before then, trying to do so is likely to limit your endurance and how much exercise you can get out of your swim session.

The other stroke you may want to use for starting up is the back crawl. It is easier for breathing, and it does a great job at stretching and strengthening the back for the other strokes. Just make certain to reach forward with your arms far enough to feel a little stretch: it will generally use more muscles that way by involving the back a bit more and not so much just the shoulders and hips. I find that using it as a "resting" stroke really helps extend my swims.

Regarding how much I swim (per post question): I'm not currently swimming significant amounts, as I'm just finishing a month of heavy cycling and now switching into running for a while. In another month, I expect to be back into swimming for primary cardio burn, and starting with nine to ten sets of 200 yards/meters (depending on pool) in 40 to 50 minutes to approximate a mile and both building distance and speed from there. Not really a recommended "starter" program, just how I've switched it up before and what I'm comfortable with in the water. I can't really remember the numbers of laps/sets/lengths I started with. Sometime before high school I started swimming across parts of a lake, It might of been 500 meters, but the amount of time between leaving land and returning was about two hours: hot weather (fairly often over forty degrees C) meant a lot of playing in the water.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to swim competitively in high school and still enjoy it for a cross-training day workout. For breaststroke, I (and most swimmers) breathe every stroke, then duck head down and extend your arms and legs out as you frog kick to propel your body forward in a streamline motion. YouTube olympic breast stroke swimmers to see their technique.

For freestyle, I breathe every 3rd stroke so I'm switching sides to breathe each time. Breathe left side, 1 stroke, 2 stroke, 3 stroke, breathe right side. This technique ensures that you don't develop stronger muscles on one side more than other b/c some people like to only breathe on one side or they swim too fast and need to breathe every stroke --- but I was instructed by coaches that you should train to breathe on each side - plus you swim in a straighter line doing it this way.

Really swimming is not only building your muscles and cardio endurance, but your lung capacity as well. So don't feel like you're too short of breath. In the beginning, everyone feels short of breath. As you train more and more, your lung capacity gets bigger too.

This.
  • feesh510
    feesh510 Posts: 14
    Options
    So glad you've started swimming! It really is great exercise. I started 4 months ago. The first couple of weeks I swam slowly every other day for about twenty minutes. Now I swim 60+ minutes every other day at a medium-fast pace. I don't tend to count laps because I easily lose track. I do alternate between strokes, and use training fins and buoys to switch things up. As others have said, with breaststroke you should breathe every stroke.

I would encourage you to really push yourself. In the months I've been at the gym, I have seen some people put in the effort and get much better and faster, but I've seen more people stay at the same relaxed pace and never get above turtle speed. If you want to swim for its meditative quality, that's awesome, but I can't imagine these folks are improving their fitness level or burning too many calories.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're taking up swimming, it's a great workout. For the breaststroke you should breath every stroke. Remember kick, glide, pull, breathe...
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You should check into a Master's program in your area. They are coached workouts and the coaches will help you improve and learn strokes. I love swimming. It is my favorite workout. With the master's program, I get to swim with people of my ability and I get the social aspect as well as the workout. Couldn't live without South Davis Masters. Just a thought.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should check into a Master's program in your area. They are coached workouts and the coaches will help you improve and learn strokes. I love swimming. It is my favorite workout. With the master's program, I get to swim with people of my ability and I get the social aspect as well as the workout. Couldn't live without South Davis Masters. Just a thought.

This is a great idea, and I'm actually surprised I didn't mention it lol. I actually work for a swim club club in my town and they have a Master's program. You can find a program near you here http://www.usms.org/
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love swimming it's my workout of choice, always has been. I had lessons at school but hated them because the teacher was actually our Geography teacher and not a swimming instructor so apart from getting my 100 yards certificate I didn't learn very much. My technique was transformed when I took adult lessons a few years ago. I did that for about a year and perfected my front crawl and breaststroke (never got the hang of fly) as well as learning to tumble turn and dive. It means that I don't waste energy flapping about and can go for 50-60 mins per session which elevates my heart rate without wearing me out. Highly recommend having a few lessons if you can just to learn how to use your energy efficiently if nothing else. As you said you have zero core body strength I also suggest doing some weight-bearing exercise like gentle weights (e.g. kettle bell), walking, etc.