I'm 39!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm 39. I think that nearing 40 has made me more serious about getting in shape and losing weight. Everyone says it gets harder after 40, and I have enough to lose that I can't wait to start anymore. That was a surprising realization to me.

So although I've always exercised, I'm getting more serious about it, and about what I eat, to try and be healthier. That's why I signed up for myfitnesspal. I've been using the iPhone app for about 2 weeks now, and I really like it. I thought I'd check out the forums here too!

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it gets harder to lose weight after 35 lol, just kidding. You know what I had convinced myself that there was some bizarre medical reason why I could not lose weight and I could literally not lose a pound. As you get older you may have to eat a little less and work a little harder, but really I think pretty much anyone can do it. It is that person looking back at you in the mirror that is your harshest critic and biggest enemy when it comes to weightloss. Be kind to yourself and realize you are capable of anything.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and I am convinced that the 40's are going to be my healthiest years. This site has been very educational for me. I have learned portion control. I have learned to exercise for the sake of eating a meal out with friends. The reason I picked this site had to do with it's nutritional breakdown of the foods. I keep track of my iron, calcium, vitamons and fiber. I have discovered that I eat low fat naturally and just need to keep the salt and sugar in better check. My point ( i rambled) is that if you record everything you will learn something. Welcome and enjoy the journey.
  • katxena
    Options
    Hate to burst your bubble, but it gets harder to lose weight after 35 lol, just kidding.

I don't think I have a bubble -- what I was trying to say was that reading that sort of woke me up. I think I've always had the idea that I could lose the weight later. You know, after I get my career going, after my husband gets his career going, after our house is fixed up. Reading that about your metabolism slowing down made me think -- there really isn't a later. There's only now.

Thanks for the welcome!
  • terryjwfit
    Options
    Hello I'm new here too! I hope this is my way to stay on track! Ben encouraged!!!!::happy:
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    Hi!
    Well, you are in the right place if you're looking for support and encouragement...and lots of great tools too! I just turned 40 in May and recently found out I have high blood pressure..I have 5 daughters and 6 grandbabies and that gave me the extra push I needed to get this weight off once and for all..I'm not finding it much harder to lose weight at 40..I think as long as you are watching what you eat and exercise, the weight will come off no matter what age you are..Good Luck on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • cdb39
    Options
    Hi! As I read your post I was amazed, because I could have written your post (except for the always exercised part). I too am 39 and want to get healthier and lose some weight! Good Luck! I hope all goes well with you!:smile:
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My 40s now are better than not only my 30s but better than even my 20s. You can do it! Good luck!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! My 40s now are better than not only my 30s but better than even my 20s. You can do it! Good luck!!
    My thoughts? Every decade just gets better than the last... I wouldn't have guessed that in my 20's. lol But with good health and lots of awesome friends and support, anything, REALLY anything is possible if you believe and do the work to make it happen!:heart::flowerforyou:
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm 39 too, I'll be 40 in January and from what I understand losing weight is hard no matter how old (or young) you are. :-) I hope you find this MFP to be as useful a tool as I do! Good luck to you on your journey.