Best Time to Work Out?!

Options
Is it bad if I work out everyday? Also, is there a best time to work out? I have worked out all different times of the day and morning seem to be best for me! I tend to have more energy at that time. I am usually dragging by the afternoon because I have to chase my very strong-willed toddler around and I am also breastfeeding my youngest, which really drains me. I drink tons of water just to replenish what he is drinking!

Replies

• dciolf1
    dciolf1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If by every day you mean 7 days a week, I would say that that is a bit much. I'd aim for 5 with two rest days spaced apart. Your muscles need time to rest, they shouldn't be constantly overworked.

As for when to workout, really just keep going in the mornings. If it is when you have the most energy that means it is when you will have the potential for your best workouts.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily bad to work out every day, but it depends on the intensity and type of workout. If you are lifting weights or doing high intensity cardio, you should take days off. If you are doing lower intensity workouts, I suppose it doesn't matter much. I think you should at least take 1 day completely off. Listen to your body though. If you are feeling abnormally fatigued, you should take some time off.

Sounds like the best time for you is the morning. In other words, it really doesn't make a difference what time of the day you workout. It's more of a personal preference.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of working out you're doing. Low intensity cardio you can pretty much do every day, assuming no illnesses or injuries. High intensity cardio or heavy weight training ... your body is going to need a break. Even if you're young and in good shape and your muscles feel fine, your central nervous system cannot handle that kind of activity on a daily basis.

As far as when is the best time, whatever time you can be consistent with. If you're not going to get up early in the morning, don't schedule your workouts for early in the morning. If you're too tired after work, don't schedule them for after work. Otherwise, it does not matter. Pretty simple.
  • Reaper1242
    Options
    There really is no best time. Whichever time you can fully commit to is your best time. There are only a couple of hard and fast rules. Don't exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You're waking up in a catabolic state. Anything you burn will be muscle tissue. I know there's debate on this subject but it only makes sense.
    The other rule is not to do a hard workout too close to bedtime. Though there's nothing wrong with stretching.

As for how often. That all really depends on your experience level, age, workout structure, type of workout and what you last trained. I did 5 days in a row for years but I had many years experience. I think for most people it's best to do resistance training on alternate days and throw in your cardio between.
    For resistance training it's important to have 48 hours between training the same muscle group.

You don't get results in your workout but in your rest. I have always made sure I have at least 1 day a week of full rest and I take a full week off every 8-10 weeks. I mean no exercise. You give your body a good chance to recover and you avoid injury and overtraining. You also come back better and stronger.

Google "overtraining symptoms". Pretty much as long as you're not experiencing them you should be golden.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever you will go do it. I enjoy sleeping far too much, so it works best for me right when i get off of work. I lift 4 days a week and will probably do some mild cardio on 2 of my off days, or maybe just some foam rolling and stretching.

ETA: If you are new to working out, you might want to make sure that you aren't doing too much of it and burn yourself out.
  • fitmom07
    fitmom07 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ok thanks. I have been working out every day a month straight now. I have a hard going to the gym because I have 2 kids under the age of 2 and my husband is deployed, so I have been doing Jilian Michaels 30 day shred, and I go to Mommy & Me Bootcamp 2 days a week. I also run/walk 3 days a week and am doing a squat challenge. I finished up the 30 day shred video, so now I am going to start Insanity. I don't always get to exercise the same time every day because I will workout when the kids nap or go to bed, and it depends on what else is going on that day.
  • Reaper1242
    Options
    ok thanks. I have been working out every day a month straight now. I have a hard going to the gym because I have 2 kids under the age of 2 and my husband is deployed, so I have been doing Jilian Michaels 30 day shred, and I go to Mommy & Me Bootcamp 2 days a week. I also run/walk 3 days a week and am doing a squat challenge. I finished up the 30 day shred video, so now I am going to start Insanity. I don't always get to exercise the same time every day because I will workout when the kids nap or go to bed, and it depends on what else is going on that day.

If you're coping with it all then good for you. It is a lot so just keep a watch for overtraining. I've done insanity and it's pretty hardcore. Of course I've never been much for hard cardio so could just be me.
    I found T25 to be a little less taxing.

I think I found that this is all very individual. Experimenting is great. Try different things until you find what works for you. I've tried things that everyone swears by that simply doesn't work for me. I've also done things that shouldn't work and it did.

I did find a pretty cool little trick for adding a little extra exercise a day. I have a pomodoro timer on my phone. I set an alarm every 55 minutes. I then get up and just walk backwards and forwards across the room for 5 minutes. That gets me about an extra 162 calories a day for very little effort.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my body works on the schedule you give. For example, I get up at 9 eat breakfast and watch Tv until 2. At two my body is ready to workout and move. I clean house and do my wkout cardio or strength training. At 4 I am snacking on lunch. 7 dinner time and winding down the family.

So your body works on the schedule yo give it. Your metabolism automaticlly starts up and says get going. It takes a few weeks to set your metabolism
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is it bad if I work out everyday? Also, is there a best time to work out? I have worked out all different times of the day and morning seem to be best for me! I tend to have more energy at that time. I am usually dragging by the afternoon because I have to chase my very strong-willed toddler around and I am also breastfeeding my youngest, which really drains me. I drink tons of water just to replenish what he is drinking!

I've worked out every day for over a month to get ready for my tri. I'm still alive, like Johnny 5.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when it best fits your schedule and when you'll be consistent. For me, even though I hate getting up early, that's the mornings. And I do it. It sounds like you have the same afternoon/after work issue I do, and that you're a morning person anyway, so the morning may be the best time for you.

As to everyday, listen to your body. Don't do anything super intense 7 days a week. If you must do something, try to make at least one day an "active rest" day instead of another full out workout. A walk, some gentle yoga, etc. Your body really does need some recovery time.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you talk to and who you listen to, but I could find no conclusive proof one way or the other on a specific time of day being better for working out.
    I think, as long as you work out on a day that ends in "Y", and you stay consistent with it, you're good.
    Keep up the great work.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Many parents have different preferences on daycare but maybe consider taking your kids to dc twice a week or part time in the mornings or afternoons so you can get the personal time you need for yourself. Or if you have a friend or family member who could help. I watch my neice for my sister so she could wkout in the evenings when she gets hm from wk. My kids are lil.older so they watch over each other when I work out. Anyways its a suggestion you might consider. And if you do decide to put the in DC dont feel guilty, mom needs a break every now and then.
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    I'm a mom of three. I workout at night like around 7 or 8. I used to do mornings but found that I'd be really exhausted after my workouts and had no time to allow my body to relax, now that I workout at night things are calmer and I can make sure my body gets plenty of rest. I've heard you're not supposed to exercise at night because it can mess up your sleep but it's the opposite with me.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I swim/bike/run 6 days a week. The best time to workout is when you know you will and want to do it. Even if you don't feel like it, you won't regret it when you're done.
  • wesleycneill
    wesleycneill Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There really is no best time. Whichever time you can fully commit to is your best time. There are only a couple of hard and fast rules. Don't exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You're waking up in a catabolic state. Anything you burn will be muscle tissue. I know there's debate on this subject but it only makes sense.
    The other rule is not to do a hard workout too close to bedtime. Though there's nothing wrong with stretching.

This is what I like to call "Bro Science". It only makes sense if you don't know the facts or read the studies.

a.) Solid food takes 40-50 hours to pass through the both the large and small intestines where nutrient uptake occurs. That being said, even on a 12 hour fast (that's a lot of sleep), your body is still getting a steady stream of nutrients from the previous days meals.

b.) Nutrient timing for optimizing insulin/leptin levels and thyroid function is also "bro science". Eat one meal a day or 15, your metabolism will function on an average. Larger spikes in insulin for larger meals are reduced more quickly, and smaller spikes that are prolonged for smaller meals. While insulin spikes slow down fat loss and can lead to fat storage, the fact that it levels out to an average means that at a caloric deficit, you will maintain the same fat loss over the course of the week.

As far as times to work out, it's what works for you. Regimen is key for me both in my diet and exercise, so I find a time that I can be consistent with and I stick to it.

Over-training is almost mythical. If you exercise smartly, with good form and maintain a good diet it is very difficult to over-train. That being said, listen to your body and make sure to know what you are doing when it comes to form both in your cardio and weight lifting routines. Injury is always possible. 7 days a week is just too exhausting for the level that I work out at, but that's a personal thing, not hard fact for every one.
  • Reaper1242
    Options

This is what I like to call "Bro Science". It only makes sense if you don't know the facts or read the studies.

a.) Solid food takes 40-50 hours to pass through the both the large and small intestines where nutrient uptake occurs. That being said, even on a 12 hour fast (that's a lot of sleep), your body is still getting a steady stream of nutrients from the previous days meals.

b.) Nutrient timing for optimizing insulin/leptin levels and thyroid function is also "bro science". Eat one meal a day or 15, your metabolism will function on an average. Larger spikes in insulin for larger meals are reduced more quickly, and smaller spikes that are prolonged for smaller meals. While insulin spikes slow down fat loss and can lead to fat storage, the fact that it levels out to an average means that at a caloric deficit, you will maintain the same fat loss over the course of the week.

As far as times to work out, it's what works for you. Regimen is key for me both in my diet and exercise, so I find a time that I can be consistent with and I stick to it.

Over-training is almost mythical. If you exercise smartly, with good form and maintain a good diet it is very difficult to over-train. That being said, listen to your body and make sure to know what you are doing when it comes to form both in your cardio and weight lifting routines. Injury is always possible. 7 days a week is just too exhausting for the level that I work out at, but that's a personal thing, not hard fact for every one.

We're all entitled to our own opinions. I have mine, you have yours. I don't happen to agree with you and you'll find research to support both sides.
    Like I said, this is all personal. If it works for you then go for it. Doesn't make it right.
    And no, overtraining is not mythical. But I'm really not getting into a debate with you.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're giving yourself rest days if you need them. Otherwise you risk hurting yourself and being out of commission for far longer than just a day.

(She says, having previously suffered an awful back spasm after 8 days without a rest day, forcing her to take a week off)