Coca Cola Defends Aspartame

Options
124»

Replies

• exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, loving the discussion - thanks for your input
    I just saw this article on my twitter feed earlier and figured it would make for a good discussion.

I LOVE diet pepsi, but for years i've been getting told by naysayers that the aspartame was going to make me explode and kill me and I just kind of took it at face value with out doing any research of myself... and kept drinking diet pepsi.

It's delicious :)

My room mate and I gave it up for lent this year, cause we were drinking way too much of it.. like 2 twelve packs a week and since then I haven't drank as much as I used to and i've found that since i've been eating properly (beginning of May) that whenever I do have one I feel sort of guilty about it. But I lost weight before and had a few of them a week, didn't seem to hinder anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    it doesnt even matter.....All Soda is bad for you. The carbonation alone. In one of my classes we did a science project and poured the soda on something in a vehicle that was eroded. And the coke actually ate the erosion off right there. What do you think it does to your insides if it eats away eroded rust off of metal? Cant be good
    You must have failed science then since the acid in your stomach is WAY more corrosive to just about anything including metal. Gastric acid is mostly hydrochloric acid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if aspartame or other sweeteners are unhealthy.

There is certainly an irrational fear of anything artificial.

However... don't be so quick to trust 'studies' and 'facts' claiming to prove them safe either.

Otherwise history might repeat itself:

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/16/6/1070.full

You might never know who is funding these studies.

FUD has become sophisticated since the days when IBM and Microsoft hired people to become evangelists of their products.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Three words... water, water, water! Corporations are not in our interests!

As long as it's Dasani water Coke wouldn't have a problem with it:)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

However... don't be so quick to trust 'studies' and 'facts' claiming to prove them safe either.

FUD has become sophisticated since the days when IBM and Microsoft hired people to become evangelists of their products.

Well, it helps when one actually reads the study itself, from methodology to implementation to data collected and statistical analysis run. It makes it much harder to fake if you have to get all of that in. If you just read the summary, or worse, how media sources report on the study, you're much more likely to be mislead somewhere.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Three words... water, water, water! Corporations are not in our interests!

As long as it's Dasani water Coke wouldn't have a problem with it:)
    Exactly, it's why I laugh when people mention funding. Like Coca-Cola cares if you spend money on Diet Coke or Dasani water... Or Nestea, or Minute Maid, or Odwalla, or Smartwater,or Vitamin Water, or Hi-C, or Powerade, or any of the other brands Coke owns. They fund these studies because they don't care about the results, they have a product they can advertise for whatever the study results turn out to be.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Diet pepsi rocks my socks. I'll take diet coke if it's not around though. Hasn't hindered me so far, and considering basically everything is bad for us in one way or another, I'm not worried, and I'm not going to stop drinking it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

That's why it's important to research several peer reviewed studies and not just one. What's great now, is that compared to 2000 and before, getting information wasn't as accessible. Now it's just a click away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • exohglo
    exohglo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wolf Blitzer had Dr Sanjay Gupta on the Situation Room last night to discuss this (so I saw on twitter) did anyone happen to catch it?