Hand weights

Options
Hi, Can anyone tell me what weight hand weights they use for general exercise? I'm using some really old ones (I have no idea what they weigh) and I think they're getting really light when I do my Davina and JM 30ds dvds, but I don't want to bulk up so wondered what the average weight most ladies us is?

I know there won't be one size fits all but if I know that most people use 5kgs or 2kgs or whatever I'll know where to start.

Thanks!

Replies

• LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm just using a 3lb weight for 30DS... As I keep going though, or if I do it a second round, I'll probably up it to 5 or 8 lbs
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I started with 5 pounds and am using 8-10 pounds now. Anything less is too light, no offense to the person above me but 3 pounds is too light. More weight will not make you bulky. My arms have more definition when I flex but they don't look bulky or manly. The difference is using more weight will help you get stronger and you'll burn more calories and increase muscle mass. That's total mass in your body, not just your arms.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you won't bulk doing
    A. a cardio based work out DVD at home
    B. (MORE IMPORTATNTLY) without eating at a calorie suprlus.

Pick up heavier weights. I agree- almost anything under 5/10 (depending on what you are doing) and depending on injuries you may have is too light.

Asking for what the average weight is for women is irrelevant- it's going to vary tremendously by the persons goals- and where they are in their training- and what they have access too.

My average weights I use range from 25 lbs to 200 lbs. I rarely pick up anything under 20/25.
    I'm far from "bulky" I am on the other hand... thuper thexy ;)
  • sophart
    sophart Posts: 4
    Options
    Ok thank you all, looks like I need to try out some weights between 5 and 10 then... (ouch)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    you won't bulk doing
    A. a cardio based work out DVD at home
    B. (MORE IMPORTATNTLY) without eating at a calorie suprlus.

Pick up heavier weights. I agree- almost anything under 5/10 (depending on what you are doing) and depending on injuries you may have is too light.

Asking for what the average weight is for women is irrelevant- it's going to vary tremendously by the persons goals- and where they are in their training- and what they have access too.

My average weights I use range from 25 lbs to 200 lbs. I rarely pick up anything under 20/25.
    I'm far from "bulky" I am on the other hand... thuper thexy ;)

This ^^ you'll never bulk, believe me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you all, looks like I need to try out some weights between 5 and 10 then... (ouch)

Go for it. Yes- they feel like they get heavy- they don't- you are just getting more tired. :)

But 10 lbs is like what- a thing of flour? A sack of potatoes? Think about the world in which you live- most peoples cats weigh more than 10 lbs... don't be scared!!! You can do it!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what other people are doing. Even if 90% of people are using X weight, that doesn't mean it's right for you. Bite the bullet and buy some decent dumbbells. Adjustable ones are great. Even the ones that you can add weight plates too are good. Fixed weight DBs are very convenient, but take up more space and are less flexible. But buy some weight - you are capable of WAY more than you realize.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do JM Ripped in 30 and some Firm workouts with 5, 8 and 10.