advise on calories

Options
bynsky
bynsky Posts: 15,837 Member
So, I've been noticing a trend on my weight loss, and I want to see if any of you have thoughts or suggestions.

Most days out of the month, I stay very close to or under my 1200 calorie goal (or whatever the net count is if I exercise) in order to try and loose the weight I'm after. However, there are days where I splurge and eat more "unhealthy" things or larger quantities. The funny thing is, it seems like I loose a bigger chunk of weight (1-3 lbs) during the weeks where I have these splurges, where the rest of the time I stay pretty stagnant. I'm not adding additional exercise in to account for these splurges either.

My question is, do you think my BMR might be higher than what MFP is calculating and I'm stuck in a minor starvation mode from not eating enough?

Let me know your thoughts. Just looking for opinions here. Thanks!

Replies

• ValerieCx
    ValerieCx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That could be it. You need to make sure you are eating enough or your body will hold on to whatever you do it. Eating too much can cause you to gain but as wierd as it sounds not eating enough will also cause you to not lose the weight that you want to lose. You have to find what works for you even if that means increasing your intake. Good luck!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    or maybe the splurges cause your metabolism to react. Its used to a set amount and you throw it something different so it has to react differently and burns more calories causing a weight loss. So have you tried varying your caloric intake healthily throught a week in the same proportions to see if you get similar results?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I said "unhealthily" OR larger quantities. I'm actually considering changing my goals from 2lbs a week to 1lb a week to see if that makes a slight difference.

A calorie is a calorie. It doesn't matter if you splurge on "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods. Brattyworm is right; all she was suggesting was zigzagging your weekly calorie intake. Look it up.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Before starting MFP I was eating betweenn 1100 and 1200 cals a day. After a few months my weight loss stalled and nothing I did seeme to get it going again, At that point I joined MFP which recommended 1430 a day for me. The weight started coming off again. So I obviously needed the extra calories. It might be worth trying it for a few weeks and see what happenes. Good luck
    Kx
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    of course we wish you luck.. you're doing great.