Eating too many calories and needs motivation

Options
I'm here like everyone else. I need to lose weight.

I have my calories set but I seem to go over (I mean over). I try my hardest to stay in range, but my cravings get the best of me. Also I love carbs. Ugh I know I need to eat less but I don't know how to stop.

Fitness: I go for walks with my daughter(4 year olds) I just don't feel the burn like I should. I also have Zumba Core for Wii just don't have the time or energy to do it.

Help....any advice??????

Thanks

Replies

• ShimmerKitten
    ShimmerKitten Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal generates really low calories. use this to generate how much you should be eating to lose weight, ( http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal ) and then use a BMI calculator once you've lost weight to see how much you need to maintain.

First thing's first. you need to stop making excuses for yourself.
    Second, don't just rely on your motivation, because some days you'll have none at all. really, you just have to force yourself to do it, motivation or no. set alarms to go off at times that make you exercise, come up with a reward system for yourself when you complete your goals.
    Perhaps go for night walks or go to the gym? if you don't have the energy, you're going to have to pretend you have some.
    Plus, dieting and exercising right gives you more energy in the end.
    If you want it bad enough, you'll do it.

as for food, Plan your days ahead and don't stray from your planned day.
    maybe go vegan or vegetarian for a few months?
    I'm a vegan and because of this i cant eat most junk foods offered to me because they're full of milk, eggs or gelatine.
    if i want sweets i have to search them out or actually make them myself.
  • Bethie_J
    Bethie_J Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set for? And how over do you go?

If you have cravings for certain things, don't keep them in the house.

Getting started is hard. Sometimes, you just have to stop eating and get your workouts in by sheer force of will. And eventually, it becomes a habit.

Everyone is busy, everyone is tired. But make eating right and exercising a priority, like all the other things that you decide are important, and you'll find some success.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yep what she said^. Make sure you are eating enough protein and healthy fat. They will help you feel fuller for longer.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're ready to commit to change. Motivation comes from within.

Start slow. Make small changes. Set attainable goals. If you try to go balls to the wall with a new lifestyle it's unlikely that you'll stick with it.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! First things first, I'd recommend that you open your diary so that people have some frame of reference for any advice they give you.

Going for walks with your young children is great, but usually a little slow & short for any real raised heart rate to happen. Do they have a scooter, bike or similar they could use while you walk alongside them?

As for finding the time/energy for other exercise, I know it can be tough. The only advise I can give you is that the hardest part of the workout is actually starting it, and that if you start exercising more you will have more energy & you'll find that you make the time as you come to enjoy it. Even 30 minutes every 2 days will do wonders if you put in the effort!
  • waipepe
    waipepe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Get a bike, put your daughter in a kiddie seat on the bike or add child's trailer and off you go for some bike rides. Walking with a 4 year old will not give you the necessary exercise.

Carbs is such a broad definition, what do you specifically crave? sugar, starches?

If you can't change your lifestyle and eating habits in one go I suggest eliminating the most obvious from your diet first and then taking further steps. This is of course dependent on what you crave.

You also have to stick with it as it takes several weeks for your body to adjust to the new found lifestyle habits.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I've found that the less carbs I eat, the less I crave them. They seem to be addictive to me and I haven't been doing very well with them lately so am feeling really sorry for myself! Bad cravings, especially when I get home from work.

It might be worth calculating your BMR and TDEE and then working out what level of calories you actually need. Many seem to go for TDEE less 20%.

I've set MFP up for a sedentary lifestyle, losing 2 lb/week and that allows me 1200 cals. BUT I then eat back ALL my exercise - it's a great motivator to get a lot of exercise in! :laugh: I'm hoping that will kick start another bout of weight loss for me. I've been on a plateau for about 4 months :(

We can do this. It's just finding out what works best for you.

If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, I would advise cutting down on the carbs. The problem with carbs - especially simple ones - is that when you eat them you get a blood sugar rush, then you get a dip and that's when you want more carbs. If you eat carbs that release over a longer period of time then you don't get the sugar rush so bad.

I know all the theory - I just have difficulty putting it into practice!!! :sad: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck! I hope someone can help you a bit more than I can! :flowerforyou:
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Well you have already started with a change when you joined my fitness pal. As for you're eating I think you need to educate yourself a bit more as well as I find it helped me.

A product I recommend you drink that really made my appetite smaller over time is CLA, I reckon from any brand would do but maybe look for one that mentions green tea.
  • MANDallasTX
    Options
    You are not alone in being challenged by your relationship to food. What I do to manage cravings, boredom eating, unconscious eating is to not have food in my vicinity. This can be removing the peanuts or M&Ms from your desk. To eliminating cookies, chips, or sodas from the house. If it is impossible to eliminate them from the house, put them up on that shelf you normally reserve for cooking equipment you use once or twice a year. Make it difficult to get to them. This gives you the mental time to deal with your cravings.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You need to stop and think about everything before you eat it - this is where the trackingreally helps. You enter that cookie (or whatever), see the calories go and think "Hmmmm..do I need it THAT much?". I often then put the item back. Or do extra exercise to "earn" it.

Do your wii zumba core and let youo kid join in. Or do it while they nap, or after the go to bed, or get up early in the morning. I work full time and have a family and I've found what works best is short bits and pieces - 20 mins here, 1/2 hour there. Except for one Zumba class a week, i've not spent any time doing "organised" classes or going to the gym. All done with DVDs and Wii Zumba.

As others have said, if you really want to lose weight you need to take control of your fod intake. If you can't resist something don't have it in the house, or if you must have a little get "fun size" packs and take one away to where you're sitting, and enjoy it. But then that's it - no opening another "because its only small" :bigsmile:

Finally, determination wins over motivation every time. I don't want to egt up at 5am to exercise, but I'm determined to stay on target AND have enough calories for a glass of wine.:wink:

We can support you but only yuo can take action
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Get your 4 yr old on your shoulders and carry her that way, My 4 yr old gets tired after about 2 miles at a pretty slow pace so I usually get him on my shoulders and pick up the pace. That feels like a work out I tell you!!