Is this OK?

Options
Current Weight: 111.5 kg / 246 lbs
Target Weight: 70kg / 154 lbs
Height: 5' 9"
BMR 1783
TDEE 2150 (desk job with little exercise calculated on Scooby website)
Exercise: 30 mins walk every day Mon-Fri at lunchtime. 60 mins walking dog about 4 days/week. 1 hour housework every day. (all approx.).

Lost over 10kg (22 lbs) in first 3 months but have been stalled now for about 4 months. Fluctuating between 109/112 kg.

Originally set MFP for 1 lb loss/week. Allowed 1660 calories. Eating back exercise calories as measured by FitBit.

I really think FitBit might be overestimating my calories as it's been allowing me between 500 and 1000 calories a day extra. That means I've been actually eating over 2000 calories a day. (BTW, FitBit is also set to 500 cal/day deficit)

As I'm not losing any weight, this morning I've changed my MFP settings to lose 2lbs/week. This has allowed me the normal 1200 cals/day. Eating back the exercise cals that FitBit gives me will still allow me to eat 1700 to 2000 cals/day.

As I am very overweight and have a lot to lose then I think this is reasonable.

HELPFUL opinions are welcome. Do you think I'm right with this?

Replies

• LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    bump
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, I cant really offer any advise. If you have quite a lot to lose I think setting it to 2lb a week sounds like a good idea.

What do the exercise calories calculate and compare to my fitness pals suggestions? I just go with what my fitness pal suggests I burn when exercising (might not be correct though but works for me).
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks. The fitbit has been giving me about the same as MFP did before I got the fitbit. But I've heard that MFP overestimates burn.

I've upped my exercise quite a lot - I didn't used to log working at my desk but fitbit gives extra calories for that. I suppose it does consume more calories than slouching in front of the TV or lying in bed all day! I also didn't walk the dog and have a lunchtime walk on the same day or log my housework.

I'm just surprised that, if I work (7.5 hrs/day), have a walk at lunchtime, walk the dog for an hour and do an hour housework I get over 1000 extra calories to eat.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm just surprised that, if I work (7.5 hrs/day), have a walk at lunchtime, walk the dog for an hour and do an hour housework I get over 1000 extra calories to eat.

That's likely where your problem is coming in. Unless by walking the dog for an hour, you mean "doing 100yard wind sprints for an hour with the dog", you're likely not burning 1000 calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    1000 cals just by having a walk etc...no way are you burning that much, its overestimating.

Rule of thumb don't eat your exercise calories back unless you're hungry. If you do eat them back only eat 30- 50% of them and that'll keep you right.

I'd estimate you're only burning just over half the calories its telling you.

Keep this is mind and you'll start losing weight :)

all the best.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The fitbit has been giving me about the same as MFP did before I got the fitbit. But I've heard that MFP overestimates burn.

I've upped my exercise quite a lot - I didn't used to log working at my desk but fitbit gives extra calories for that. I suppose it does consume more calories than slouching in front of the TV or lying in bed all day! I also didn't walk the dog and have a lunchtime walk on the same day or log my housework.

you get extra calories for sitting at your desk at work!? i dont understand how that happens unless you are squatting at your desk and lifting very heavy files from one side to the other!!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a FitBit but that does sound a little high for the calorie burn. I have recalculated my calories based on :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I am 5'6 27 yo female and have been exercising a good bit and I recently upped my calories to 2000. My TDEE was calculated at 2446 and many suggest doing TDEE minus 20% to lose weight (so mine is 1957 which also agrees with what my doctor suggested). I had been at 1700. I would also set protein/fat/carbs to 30%/30%/40%. When you follow this guidance you DO NOT eat your exercise calories back as they have already been taken into consideration. I believe this method works as I have had my calories at at least 1700 for nearly 10 weeks and while I haven't lost I also haven't gained (getting my thyroid checked today). I also like that I don't have to worry about calculating my calories burned every workout.

Good Luck!
  • gighadog
    Options
    I agree with the other comments. Ignore the extra you get for exercise (esp the working - that's nonsense, I have a desk job and there's no way I consider that I burn anything) and you'll do better. Remember that the recommended calorie intake for a woman who's doing a normal level of activity is only 2000. If the MFP is calculating more than that and you're not training for a triathlon then something's wrong.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I dont think thats how the fitbit is supposed to work. It isn't giving you the calories you burn so you can eat them back.

The Fitbit is designed to give you a better idea of your TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is what calories your body would use if you were in a coma, just your organs functioning. Your TDEE is how many calories you burn in a day doing your regular activities: working your 8 hour job, driving your car, making dinner, sitting on the couch watching TV - everyday normal activities.

You should not be eating back all the calories that your Fitbit tells you that you have burned. You should ONLY eat back calories you have burned during actual exercise. If you want a more accurate reading of calories burned during exercise so you know what to eat back, then you are better off with a heart rate monitor and use it during exercise. Those are the calories you eat back using MFP's design.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That's likely where your problem is coming in. Unless by walking the dog for an hour, you mean "doing 100yard wind sprints for an hour with the dog", you're likely not burning 1000 calories.

Agreed. This could be your problem here. Your burn with this is probably closer to 300 calories. There's no way you are burning 1000 calories from walking and cleaning your house.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with Fitbit exercise calories. I was eating all of them back and my weight stalled.

Now I only eat back exercise calories on days when my exercise is more than normal. So normally it says I burn something like 500 extra calories through exercise (I have my activity level set as "lightly active" so my exercise adjustment is smaller). I don't eat back those calories. But when it says I burned 800 calories through exercise because I've been more active than usual, I'll eat a bit more that day. It's been working for me!

I think this issue, for me at least, is that when I walk I usually walk at a slow-ish pace and I believe Fitbit is better at tracking calorie burns during brisk paced walks. Just my theory on what's going on. If you're now set at 1200 you should probably eat back some of the exercise calories, just not all.